Tesla Warranty

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Didn't even have to get on my toes to pick this one up! lol
So, uh, just outta curiosity, does Michelin even make anything that'll fit the 'Vette?
I know they can shoe a Bugatti Veyron, for example, but then again they probably consider it a patriotic duty.
In fact, according to Wikipedia:
"It uses special Michelin PAX run-flat tyres, designed specifically to accommodate the Veyron's top speed, and cost US$25,000 per set.[19] The tyres can be mounted on the rims only in France, a service which costs US $70,000. "
Well h-ll, for that I could buy...dare I say it....A Tesla!
:playful:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So, uh, just outta curiosity, does Michelin even make anything that'll fit the 'Vette?
According to the accounts from a vast majority of Corvette owners and enthusiasts posted on the internets (it's a series of tubes passing information around) Michelin gets the highest marks for the Chevrolet Corvette... not surprisingly so, given the overall standing of the brand, particularly with respect to handling performance and wear indexes.
Icing on the cake: They can be mounted at any Pep Boys or Tire Kingdom store for a tad under 70k. :applause:

That said, I am very satisfied with the brand new set of Contis Extreme that my car was shoed with when I got it, and the price difference might tip the balance in their favor comes replacement time..... Awesome handling and adherence and minimum noise level, wear index remains to be seen as I only have about 5000 miles on them.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That said, I am very satisfied with the brand new set of Contis Extreme that my car was shoed with when I got it .
Huh, what a coincidence. Teslas with the optional 21" wheels get Conti Extremes.
What are the odds?
:biggrin-new:
Worse though is that the drivetrain description in the factory brochure starts to sound downright seductive to any died-in-the-wool gearhead:

"Powertrain
Model S is a rear wheel drive electric vehicle. The liquid-cooled powertrain includes the battery, motor, drive inverter, and gear box.
60 kWh microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery
Three phase, four pole AC induction motor with copper rotor
Drive inverter with variable frequency drive and regenerative braking system
Single speed fixed gear with 9.73:1 reduction ratio"

9.73:1 reduction ratio.
My palms're gettin' sweaty.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Huh, what a coincidence. Teslas with the optional 21" wheels get Conti Extremes.
What are the odds?
:biggrin-new:

These are excellent tyres (I felt like going Brit on the spelling) however, the "S- Performance" model (443 lb-ft) is equipped with Michelin's according to their literature:

"In addition to upgraded dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars and tires (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2), the rear tires are 20 mm wider and staggered for improved acceleration on low grip surfaces".

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw a couple of the new Vettes on the road. Very interesting looking! I'm hoping to get a look at a convertible one of these days.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I saw a couple of the new Vettes on the road. Very interesting looking! I'm hoping to get a look at a convertible one of these days.

She hot.

b7c1n5.jpg

opyzkm.jpg

but I prefer a hard top on a performance car

2la8nfc.jpg

'specially since it can be removed...

xlcgvp.jpg

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total

For some odd reason, the background in that photo, looks all too familiar?
So I checked the address of the owner of our local GM dealer and there seems to be a possibility, it might be parked in his driveway?
So now you have my curiosity, Pascal. Wonderin' where you pulled that photo from?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
These are excellent tyres (I felt like going Brit on the spelling) however, the "S- Performance" model (443 lb-ft) is equipped with Michelin's according to their literature:
Them be the standard 19"-ers. 21"-ers are an upgrade, and get the Contis:
"Be daring with aggressive 21" Grey Wheels that signify a performance vehicle. Preferred by many car enthusiasts, 21" wheels allow tires with a lower profile to ably fill in the wheel well for a modern, rich aesthetic. Select wheels only, or install together with a Tire + Wheel package. Continental Extreme Contact DW high-performance tires come with the package."
And don't forget to ask 'em to throw in the lug nuts:
*Lug nuts sold separately*
Oh waitaminnit, now I get it, you were just trying to throw in another Michelin plug, weren'tcha?
Sorry. Married to Bridgestone for life.
All time winningest tire in F1.
Mostly on Ferraris.
But I met 'em before that, on an RX-7 that needed replacements for worn out Pirellis. So went with the OEM spec tire. The one that helped Mazda win the IMSA GT Championship 4 years in a row, '80-'83.
:cool-new:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh waitaminnit, now I get it, you were just trying to throw in another Michelin plug, weren'tcha?
Sorry. Married to Bridgestone for life.
All time winningest tire in F1.

In all honesty, I firmly believe that Michelin is often (depending on car / tire size and type) the best tire one can slap on his production car, but I also firmly believe that they are not always the best bang for the buck.

For instance I will most certainly always keep Michelin on my GMC Terrain (small SUV tire size), because the extra mileage I get from them, not to mention better handling and comfort than other brands, definitely justifies the extra cost.
I had the opportunity to try different tire sets when I was shopping for the vehicle, and the difference with the Good Year was like night and day, and I made it one of my purchase condition, that the car be equipped with Michelin tires.

That theory however goes down the drain when you start tackling performance tires (Corvette) with sizes in the 245-285 ballpark, and the insane Michelin pricing kicks in (around $400 / $500 a piece!)... Given how great the Contis are (and I do read a lot of good reviews on Bridgestone too from Corvette owners btw), and the fact that a set can be had for a third of Michelin price, there is a zero chance I will ever go Michelin there.

There is one brand I will never ever touch again however: Firestone. I will never put that crap on one of my cars again. But that's a whole other story, involving tire deformation after 4 months on the car etc...

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Michelin tires exclusively for me! I have a tire engineer friend who used to work for BF Goodrich (now owned by Michelin), who now works as an expert witness in tire separation litigation. He went into a lengthy explanation with me about what makes Michelin tires better, most of which I didn't understand.

It had a lot to do with the casing, and the number of plies, but the end result is that Michelin tires wear better, and don't get progressively louder as they wear like a lot of other tires do. The Good Years that were on Mrs Two's car originally came to mind. He also said that Michelin tires are the only tires he'll buy, and that in itself was good enough for me. I'm looking forward to replacing the crappy run-flat Dunlops on my car with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are widely regarded to be the best ultra high performance summer tire out there (even by Consumer Reports). Also of note is that I got over 80,000 miles out of the set of Michelin LTX AT2 tires that were on my last Sprinter, after the OEM Contis didn't even make it to 30,000.

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
In all honesty, I firmly believe that Michelin is often (depending on car / tire size and type) the best tire one can slap on his production car, but I also firmly believe that they are not always the best bang for the buck.

For instance I will most certainly always keep Michelin on my GMC Terrain (small SUV tire size), because the extra mileage I get from them, not to mention better handling and comfort than other brands, definitely justifies the extra cost.
I had the opportunity to try different tire sets when I was shopping for the vehicle, and the difference with the Good Year was like night and day, and I made it one of my purchase condition, that the car be equipped with Michelin tires.

That theory however goes down the drain when you start tackling performance tires (Corvette) with sizes in the 245-285 ballpark, and the insane Michelin pricing kicks in (around $400 / $500 a piece!)... Given how great the Contis are (and I do read a lot of good reviews on Bridgestone too from Corvette owners btw), and the fact that a set can be had for a third of Michelin price, there is a zero chance I will ever go Michelin there.

There is one brand I will never ever touch again however: Firestone. I will never put that crap on one of my cars again. But that's a whole other story, involving tire deformation after 4 months on the car etc...

www.tirerack.com

One set is $1500, the other is about a grand. The pricey ones are run-flats. Installers and fees.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Tire Rack can't be beat. I wouldn't put the AS on the vette though, this is the tire I was referring to in my post, which compares to the Conti or the Bridgestone Potenza:
http://www.sears.com/michelin-pilot...ispla=09576228000P&sid=IDx20131030xMPAPxCPA28

Tire rack beats Sears:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2&GCID=C13674x012-tire

but not Wally world! So I'm taking back the "they can't be beat" part:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/4062284?w...09730830&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=39975998950&veh=sem

jcwu

Reaction score
For instance I will most certainly always keep Michelin on my GMC Terrain (small SUV tire size), because the extra mileage I get from them

Strange, I had a discussion with some friends about tires just the other day, and Michelin was noted for performance (and shorter stop distance), but the mileage award went to Bridgestone.

Firestone as a whole I will never touch again. Went there for brake service once, and bought a "lifetime package". Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me! (Read about the ordeal here).