K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust these latches
GuildS65043.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That thing Is awesome! I would save any real money for the (re)finish job and keep the rest on the cheap. I think u can get a new/custom pickguard cut for reasonably cheap. You don't necassarily need a NOS Guild one. As for what single coils you would use with an HB-1 in a HSS config I will leave that question to others to both ask and answer. Again my HB-1 has your name on it if you want it, just keep in mind it does not have the chrome cover. Which could look cool if you don't get the guitar refinished, but you might want the cover if you do. Not sure how hard that is to find or if a duplicate cover could be made cheaply. Cool project! Great case, total score. Let it (the case) bake in the blazing Florida sun for many many hours if it has a musty smell. Both inside and out. Worth rescuing/saving! Looks nice from here

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
KOMA,I see the close up of the latch now, thanks. Not sure if I'd find a way to fix/replace that, or just "find another way to close it securely." Overall cleanliness and odor is more of a concern for me typically, with these cases that may have spent decades in wet basements (worst case scenario) or who knows where. I know basements are not too popular in Florida so hopefully you got lucky and the case is more than salvageable, which is how it looks. If I found something that fit either or both of my 60s Jetstars, as long as there is no mold and/or musty odors id find a way to refurbish it and use it. I've done a decent job cleaning up a few other old cases.

Ralf, thanks for the link. I sent an inquiry email. Do you think the cover is a reissue or an original?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do you think the cover is a reissue or an original?
Well, what exactly is a "reissue"? The word "reissue" is a bit meaningless without better definition. A reissue would mean the HB-1 was stopped at some point and later on re-issued. Yes, the Guild HB-1 production was stopped sometime after FMIC bought Guild in 1995. When exactly I don't know. Maybe 1995 or 1996 or so. But the only real reissue (based on original specs) happened in later 2013 and the re-issues were used in a few selected GSR models so far. But they were nickel or chrome plated, not golden. And so I am sure that this is not a made in Korea Guild cover. The SD-1 and the later 90ies Fender made humbuckers are not "reissues" in my definition, even if they looked like a HB-1 (and the Fenders had a different size). But that's open for arguments...
Ralf

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I meant a non-Guild "generic replacement," not "reissue." Sorry for the confusion.

so you think it's a Guild cover from 1995 or earlier?

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Anyone have a pick guard for an S-70 or 60 laying around that they could get me a correct size tracing of? Or know where I could get a template? TRC also. Ralf, you;re scary good at finding stuff like this, got any idea?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a pick guard for an S-70 or 60 laying around that they could get me a correct size tracing of?

No problem making a tracing and mailing it to you, but you need to tell me which one you need because the S-70 and the S-60 do not have the same pickguard shape.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not sure. For the SD-1 the metal hardware was coming from Guild, so they are same size like the original HB-1. But the Fender made HB-1 type pickups had a different size. So a Fender type metal cap won't fit a HB-1. Easy to measure however using GADs picture: http://www.gad.net/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Hb1-Regular-Measurements1.png

Ralf

Ralf, thanks. It says on the website the cover fits 1970-mid 90s HB-1, so I guess my real question was, is the cover that is for sale from back then, or is someone currently making new covers that fit the classic HB-1?...in any event the guy never emailed me back, and I sent the HB-1 to K.O.M.A. so it's now his choice to decide if a cover is necessary.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
... my real question was, is the cover that is for sale from back then, or is someone currently making new covers that fit the classic HB-1. http://www.goodeguitars.com/PUP-003.htm
Highly unlikely that somebody would spend the money for the tools to be able to recreate those metal covers, that's not an easy job to do and what would be the market? Almost no market and loads of effort. Different story for the molded plastic on the Franz pickups, that's not an impossible task for a company that does such things to recreate them to replace broken covers or covers that are so much shrunk that they won't fit over the pole pieces anymore.
So I am sure this is a real Guild HB-1 metal cover.
Ralf

Rzzmtzz

Reaction score
I've restored a S-60d which was in about the same condition as yours but I had all the hardware. I only had to trace the pickguard and make a new one because it was hacked by the previous owner to fit in a humbucker.

About the pickguard: it's 5-ply BWBWB of which the bottom black layer is just a thin film. I wasn't able to find the same raw material but I did find a 4-ply BWBW plate. You can't tell the difference once installed. The edge of the pickguard is also pretty unique compared to other brands: it's rounded over, not bevelled.

Good luck with it!

Cheers,
Koen

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Thanks telenator, I will be sure to check the fret spacing. Thanks also to Rzzmtzz for the pick guard info. Appreciate it guys