1960 Starfire love? anybody?

Synchro

Reaction score
Agreed. But on the positive side, it did mean that this came cheap! And at least they made a fairly decent job of the work they did on the cut out ...

It's certainly beautiful when photographed from the front. I played a gig in my N.S. Starfire III tonight and the sound was superb.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just bought this today...

I believe it's a 1960 Starfire III.

Hello Despot,

Great looking guitar for a really nice price. Looking at the specs it seems more like a 1963 Starfire. At this point it looks like a converted Starfire II, but if you give me the serial number, I could try to find the number up in the factory ledgers.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a couple decent videos of Alberta Cross playing the Starfire 1 w/Guildsby that may or may not be the same guitar that Norah Jones has previously been seen with. I may take these videos down if and when I get better ones. cut the band a little slack they are brand new songs with brand new band members, this is to my knowledge the first public performance of the tunes and I am am hesitant to share them, but the guitar is rare, so happy to for now. in my opinion the videos are great but I have seen this band really crush it in the past. also the acoustic(s) are Guilds as well. one is a 12 string dread.

you can see the Norah Jones (photo) connection in post #7 of this thread-

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?174435-Which-Guild-guitar-is-this&highlight=norah

She is super tight with Alberta Cross and so my best guess is its the same guitar, unless they collectivelly have identical Starfire 1's with Guildsby's and (rare) Dearmond's. That would be extremely impressive, even for a bunch of Brooklyn hipsters

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
check this one out. not bad for a "jazz guitar"

and oh yeah, DRC- congrats! if u sell this one u gotta get ur head checked!

Despot

Reaction score
Thanks Hans - I responded to your PM, thanks again for taking the time to respond. I should have twigged that the back binding made it '62 or later!

drc

Reaction score
and oh yeah, DRC- congrats! if u sell this one u gotta get ur head checked!

If I fall in love with this guitar, I know I will end up looking for a 2 pickup model SF III with Dearmonds.. so be prepared mavuser.

Btw I've had my head checked several times and no one can figure it out!?

Release the Guilds! Let the hunt begin!!

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
Nice score Dave! Love the cherry Starfire I/II/IIIs. I have a '61 with Dearmonds as well, Bought it a year ago but haven't seen it yet. It's at my brother's place in NJ - he won't send it to me!

Nice score as well Despot - does look super fine from the front but yeah can't imagine why someone would do that type of surgery.

And Synchro, glad to hear your NS SFIII is doing the business as well. It's got different pickups so I could justfy one of those to myself!

drc

Reaction score
It arrived Friday afternoon but I was out of town until today. Looks great! I will post some pics and give more details after I get a chance to spend some time with it.

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I'm sure its great to come home and explore a nice old Guild for the first time.
Looking forward to the details and photos!

z

drc

Reaction score
The guitar plays and sounds great. I can see why there is so much love for that pickup, it has allot of punch and some great tone. The guitar plays really easy up and down the fretboard. My buddy is bringing over a black light tonite to check out the finish.. just to make sure. The finish looks to be all original, but someone might have glued down the headstock laminate. I'm not real sure about that though, it could just be the wear of an old guitar.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...Alberta Cross playing the Starfire 1 w/Guildsby that may or may not be the same guitar that Norah Jones has previously been seen with.
Two different guitars. Alberta Cross plays a one pickup Starfire I with added Guildsby.
Norah had a two pickup (two DeArmonds, round pickguard with star/cross, normal Bigsby) Starfire II or III.
I don't know if II or III as it has a Bigsby, not a Guildsby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GheTxJ1F-mw
And with Puss n' Boots she plays a newer mid 60ies Starfire III with two mini humbuckers, stairstep pickguard and Guildsby.
Ralf

Last edited:

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Congrats on this one.......looks a good deal nicer in your new photos!

Looks like the regular cherry finish to me, but some fade and color shift gives it an orange tint.
Probably the lighting has something to do with it as well.

I'm a big fan of that version of DeArmond pickup (with row of large pole screws in the center).
The pair on my '60 Starfire are very hot....to get it where i like, I've got some of the pole screws on the neck pickup buried and maxed out all the way down.

z

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Two different guitars. Alberta Cross plays a one pickup Starfire I with added Guildsby.
Norah had a two pickup (two DeArmonds, round pickguard with star/cross, normal Bigsby) Starfire II or III.
I don't know if II or III as it has a Bigsby, not a Guildsby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GheTxJ1F-mw
And with Puss n' Boots she plays a newer mid 60ies Starfire III with two mini humbuckers, stairstep pickguard and Guildsby.
Ralf

Thanks, Ralf. The one picture I have seen of Norah playing the old one makes it look like a SF 1 but it does seen to be well documented as a 2. The Alberta cross one def sounds super nice! Considering all the musicians Norah plays with, I suppose she associated with several Guilds. Her current one is a tone monster.