S100C Resto thread

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
I recently bought an 73 S100 Carved off of the board. It is in serious need of repairs, so I did the sensible thing and shipped it to Fixit. I was shocked at his initial assessment and almost bailed on it, but at the end of the day the guitar really needs to be repaired so what the hell, it's only money. Anyway, here's what all needs to be done: it needs a neck re-set, refret, new binding, replacement of missing bridge pieces, replacement of tone and volume knobs, and a new control cavity cover. Tom has been gracious enough to agree to work on this when he has time and to take pics to document his progress. I will update this thread as Tom sends me pics. If it takes a while, this is due to my budget more than Tom's work pace. Here are few pics from the original listing. It looks great from a distance
GuildS100Carvedtop009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
GuildS100Carvedtop008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
GuildS100Carvedtop001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Now I have to decide on a finish. Since originality is no longer an issue I'm trying to decide which way to go. At first I considered something different, something like Kent (Los Angeles) did with his but I didn't think a carved model would look right like that. Then I thought of a natural finish kind of like it is currently and honestly that looks good to me. Then, after Tom pulled the pickups and I saw the original cherry finish in the cavity I thought that looked even better. Then Tom sent me some pics of a burst he re-did for someone and man, I really like that also. I'll attach a pic with apologies to the owner (who's name escapes me) who I believe is on this board. I can't decide which way to go. Opinions anyone?
IMG_1332.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1338.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

xilef regnu

Reaction score
Documenting this restoration is a great service to the Guild community here. Seeing things I haven't seen before(neck pocket, etc.). Thanks!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now I have to decide on a finish. I can't decide which way to go. Opinions anyone?
The 1975 catalog showed the carved version only with natural finish. I think it looks better in natural for the carved version. The burst somehow hides the carving.
But why not sending Hans the serial number and asking him what factory finish it really had? (cherry or burst or whatever).
Ralf

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i think there was a thread about cherry S100 and/or JS bass with the carvings, there may be handful that were done that way. unless it was the walnut. My opinion is the finish should be "NB" or "walnut" or "cherry." if you can confirm which one it was originally then maybe go with that. cool pictures, thanks.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now I have to decide on a finish. Since originality is no longer an issue I'm trying to decide which way to go. At first I considered something different, something like Kent (Los Angeles) did with his but I didn't think a carved model would look right like that. Then I thought of a natural finish kind of like it is currently and honestly that looks good to me. Then, after Tom pulled the pickups and I saw the original cherry finish in the cavity I thought that looked even better. Then Tom sent me some pics of a burst he re-did for someone and man, I really like that also. I'll attach a pic with apologies to the owner (who's name escapes me) who I believe is on this board. I can't decide which way to go. Opinions anyone?
IMG_1332.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm not a huge fan of S100s, but man, THAT is stunning. I'd own that.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you for starting this great thread, K.O.M.A.. When it comes to vintage S-100's, our prominent member, Thunderface, has a cherry/red (the only one on the roster, I believe) carved S-100 and it's gorgeous. I'm sure you can find several pics of it here on this forum.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
FWIW, it's a 73 model.
I knew, but I don't have a 1973 catalog, I only had the '75 to check.
You are right about cherry, here is Thunderface's (I just copy his pictures):

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

And the second one we saw on Craigslist in February 2014:

ChCarved_zps3a8245a5.png

Anyway, my preference probably would be this:

75GuildS100StdCarved.jpg

You could even get a clear pickguard for it from Ken Nash.

Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree, the in process photos are great. It's nice to see how they are put together. I have a 73 S100SC in natural but I have to admit the cherry and the sunburst are really beautiful. But then I am not a big fan of solid colors, I like to see the wood grain. Since it's your guitar and it already is no longer orig., I say have fun and pick a color you like and make it yours. Thanks guys for the great thread.
John

Maxer

Reaction score
I don't care for the burst version of the carved.... I'd go for a natural finish too.

Sweet guitar, bet it's going to be killer once it's ready for primetime once again. Congrats, that's a seriously cool score.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
If were me, and I had a carved that need to be refinished, I'd definitely be looking at doing some subtle creative shades/colors with stain on the oak leaves and acorns.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd go for the sunburst or get totally radical and go antique white or vintage yellow. You only live once.