If CMG produces one new product next year I wish it would be:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So why do you remove the endpin?
Mike
If a guitar is dropped on its end (even in a case), the end pin can act like a wedge and split the side and tail block. My advice... always remove the end pin when shipping or flying with a guitar!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My advice... always remove the end pin when shipping or flying with a guitar!
A lot of guitar companies actually ship the acoustic guitars with the endpin removed from the factory!

In worst case that is how it looks:

P1010895_zps04669105.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Worse can happen than that! One of the forum sisters had, iirc, a F-312 destroyed by it's endpin. Not only was the lower bout split like in Ralf's pic, but the soundboard was split from top to bottom in at least three places. :-(

Don't ship with the endpin in!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
My 512 shipped without an endpin installed (it was in the plastic bag with the key and allen wrench), as did my more recent F47R...Kim delivered my D55 same way.

jcwu

Reaction score
Do you still remove the endpin if it is an endpin jack? Seems like an awful lot of trouble.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do you still remove the endpin if it is an endpin jack? Seems like an awful lot of trouble.
I don't think you do. (But excellent question!) An endpin jack is usually not tapered like a normal endpin. Hence it cannot split the wood as a conical endpin can.

puremini-3.jpg

But there are exceptions. I wouldn't know what to do with those modern "vintage" endpin jacks:

brass%20ebony%20std.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
If my travel guitar had an end pin jack, I would leave it as is and carve out a "donut" of closed-cell foam to encircle it, extending out to essentiallycover the footprint of the end block. It would need to be thick enough to completely cover the the end pin to absorb impact, yet slim enough to still fit into the case. OF course, the thickness of the padding of the case at the end pin matters as well. Some cases are thickly padded there for that reason.

Neal

idealassets

Reaction score
I always ship with about 4" of foam padding at the bottom of the box. There has never been a problem. I don't want to wrestle to get an endpin out that has been in there for a long time. For that matter if a shipping company really wants to mess up a guitar you cannot outguess where the impact is going to occur.

idealassets

Reaction score
It seems as though the perception is that there are suckers out there just waiting to loose their money on buying an old Guild. Note that the mfg. tag has been ripped out of this F512 to hide it's true identity. Perhaps some dealers have been duped with a pig in a poke, thinking that the next fool is just around the corner. In reality they are bound to be stuck with a bum deal for a long time. I suppose that just a few years ago I knew nothing about it until I got on LTG. Still your 6th sense ought to notice a bogus deal from the start.