Need to sell my Guild 99-J (London, UK)

Reaction score
Hi all; a newcomer here. With a baby on the way, I need to clear some room and, sadly, I think my 99-J is going to have to go.

I'm not an expert on Guild amps in particular, so I'm really looking for advice as to what details I need to find out - will a series of photos do? Photos of the interior, or electronics? And is eBay a good enough place to list it, or are there places where Guild enthusiasts are more likely to find it and give it a good home?

All advice appreciated; thanks, all.

nick

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Nick! Basically, you are going to need clear, high resolution pics. I would also like to see pictures of the amp with the back off and shots of the interior of the chassis. Ebay is the standard auction site but the fees are brutal. Try Reverb.com. I haven't used it, but it looks better than ebay. I would also wait after the end of the summer when folks have some spending money.
I would like to see some pics here, as I'm a big Guild amp fan.

Reaction score
Hi, Default. Thanks for the advice - I'll do as you suggest, I think. I'll take some photos and put some pics up here and info up here, and then plonk it on eBay come September. The baby's due at the end of October, so I'll need to clear the room before then. I'll warn you, it doesn't look too much like a 99-J...

Reaction score
A blog post about my 99-J, with photos.

Hi again; if you're interested, I wrote a little post on my blog about my 99-J. As per the above advice, I think I'll list it on eBay in a couple of weeks, but if anyone wants to make me an offer in the meantime, please do get in touch.

http://tinyurl.com/n7cn7mc

(sorry for the blind link - my website has a swearword in the URL, which seems to break the link when it's redacted)

n

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice job with that, that thing is nice! Love that u saved the OG speaker, and that ghost label/model sticker is in pristine condition, especially considering all the other changes to the amp. I don't believe any of mine have the ghost label. Maybe a small piece of it, if even...but nothing like that. Very cool!

i have a question- in the process of working on it were u able to determine what the original color scheme was (under the black/goth finish)? There were a few different variations. The ghost label has got me wondering.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I checked out your website, Nick, and it looks to me like most of your electronic components have been already replaced. None of the capacitors on the circuitboard look to be original to the amp. Not sure how the can cap is holding up, but replacement cancaps are available. I have a 99j that is waiting for some love and most of the components are factory. Will try and get some gutshots up.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, all.

mavuser (and AcornHouse); I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the original finish, but I can say that the grille mesh was brown with gold threads running through it. No idea if that's any help in dating it, or working out what the original finish would have been, but it would have been different to yours, AcornHouse, beautiful though it is.

Default - thanks for your comments, I'll amend the blog post.

Here's a very open ended question: someone's asked me how much I'd want for it, and I've absolutely no idea what to say. Suggestions?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mavuser (and AcornHouse); I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the original finish, but I can say that the grille mesh was brown with gold threads running through it. No idea if that's any help in dating it...

Here's a very open ended question: someone's asked me how much I'd want for it, and I've absolutely no idea what to say. Suggestions?

The grille you are explaining is the "splatter" that is associated with late 50's Guild amps. The outside was likely a two color scheme that could have been one of several variations. Possible it was just one color as well.

the appraisal question is tough. Especially not being in the USA, and some of those changes that have been made. I certainly would not just give it away, but at the same time do not expect to send your newborn to Oxford University on the value of the amp. If you were in New York or close, and talking American dollars...maybe $300-$400? Possibly a little more but it is hard to say. There is no real market to dictate for that. But it's still a 50s tweed amp.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, sounds like it had the cosmetics of the '50s Masteramp, but the new '60s 99J circuit (which won't get you a tweedy sound, btw.) Value of one in good condition would be ~$400, but with the cosmetic changes that's going to be lower, if everything is working, and it's been serviced to replace any leaky caps, I'd say $300-350, tops.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Probably we are talking a twotone tweed top/ brown cloth bottom originally. The grillcloth should be a brown cloth with, as you mention, a swirl of gold paint. This was an old custom car trick where you would spray undiluted paint at a low pressure. So, figure 58-60, maybe? There isn't much information on Guild amps and there seems to be a lot of undocumented running changes.
Btw, you can jumper both channels for some more grit. ;-)