Starfire anyone.

mbrindell

Reaction score
Hello friends,
The Starfire is probably Guild's most popular guitar. I have had 4 early starfires in all four colors available back in 1962 and '63, but my collection has ranged from 1953-1963 for a very long time. I used to have many Guilds with their mini humbuckers which to me are some of the best sounding humbuckers I have ever heard. So I decided to start adding Guilds from the mid 60s through the late 60s to my collection. So recently that is what I have been up to. Lately I have added 4 new models. Three of which are Starfires. A 1966 Starfire XII from our friend Los Angeles, a 1968 Emerald Green Starfire from my brother Harvey and just this past weekend my wife and I were up in Charlotte NC and went to the guitar show on Saturday where I picked up a beautiful 1965 Starfire VI from Jay Pilzer. I have to say that after doing 20 years of business with Jay it was very nice to finally meet him. So allow me to introduce you to my latest photos of my Starfire collection.

This is a recent photo of 6 of my 7 starfires, not including the SF VI I just got. From left to right is a 1962 Emerald green Starfire III with Dearmond, a 1962 Starfire II with Dearmond, a blackstar III with dearmond, and a 1963 Cherry red Starfire III with Dearmonds as well. So you can see my need for some with mini humbuckers. The next two in this photo have the minis and are a 1966 Starfire XII, then last but not least the Emeral Green 1968 Starfire IV.

Here are a couple of shots of the newest 1965 Starfire VI,

So that will give you a pretty good idea of the SF VIs condition. It has a gorgeous highly figured maple body which looks even more eye popping in person. It plays like a dream and is the top of the line Starfire. Having all of Guilds high end appointments like an ebony fretboard, multi bindings around the body, in the f-holes, the neck and around the peghead, all gold hardware and the beautiful MOP/Abolone neck inlays, not to mention all gold hardware. Actually the bigsby is a new replacement roughed up to match the faded gold plating on the rest of the guitar, but it works fine with great response.

Now I need to add another Starfire I and V, which I am certain will happen in the near future. So there is my Starfire collection. Enjoy the pix. Thanks for looking. MB

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mbrindell said:
So I decided to start adding Guilds from the mid 60s through the late 60s to my collection.
Now I need to add another Starfire I and V, which I am certain will happen in the near future. So there is my Starfire collection. Enjoy the pix. Thanks for looking. MB

Hey Mike,

Maybe you should try to find a Stratford Starfire!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ooh nice score on the Starfire VI SB! I had one of those in my hands at GC once, it was pure magic...you need a Starfire bass!

mbrindell

Reaction score
Thanks all, and you guys are correct I need a Stratford SF and SF Bass as well. I get back with you all when the entire collection is complete.

Muovinen

Reaction score
Oh, aren't I lucky to live in a little western province of Russia! I could just make a hike over there and buy that thing with a sack of potatoes.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans had previously mentioned about that prototype in Russia: "The same Custom 7 appeared on eBay again in 2008 and this time it went for well over $ 6500.00 to a dealer/collector in Philadelphia".
So obviously from Philadelphia it went somehow to Moscow. If the guitar sold in 2008 for $6500 the current asking price of $7500 is not even bad.

Google (not 100% exact) translation from Russian that webpage shows: "Beginning in the fateful years of Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin with amateurism, Igor Kabanov has gone Collector and luthier. The collection includes not only rare instruments with carefully preserved "native" hardware and electronics in those years, but also the best American guitar masters, made ​​according to the original patterns and drawings 50s obtained from factories in Kalamazoo Gibson and Fender in Fullerton. These guitars are manufactured, usually from a tree 60 years of age, all the components - the original. The collection of Igor Kabanov are unique in our country gitarostroeniya icons such as 1959 Les Paul "BURST", 1960 Les Paul "BURST", 1962 Fender Stratocaster or 1967 Guild "MARK XII" Archtop Hollowbody. The collection is constantly updated. Tools are sold, changed, they can be rented for studio recording and concerts. In addition to vintage guitar collection frequently updated quality combo - the legendary and newly collected by American craftsmen. The collection Kabanov can not only listen to the sound, but also to buy vintage pedal, such as DOD, Electro-Harmonix, Ibanez and rarer manufacturers processing of guitar sound. Here you can get professional advice on the choice of guitar and guitar amp as the collection and budgetary level. Welcome to Vintage Guitars - a collection of rare guitars Igor Kabanov!"

Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Beautiful collection of SF's. I have a 2001-2002 Corona made Starfire III no.00027. This is an incredible instrument even if it was made in the Corona plant.
Plugged, unplugged, doesn't matter. Fit, finish, sound, playability, it's just a beautiful guitar. Does anyone know how many Starfires Fender made in Corona?
Thanks

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not to be out of place as this is my first post but WOW Mike, That is a gorgeous collection! I had a chance to pick up a 1962 SF3 with Dearmond's that popped up at a local Guitar Center not too long ago but I had to pass on it. It had a headstock repair that had been hacked up probably 20 years ago and sprayed over with Black Krylon! The neck wasn't any where close to being right. I was still in love with it but if it doesn't play right you just can't do anything about it. I was Heartbroken. Great Grab on that SF VI! Just recently picked up a Corona made Starfire III-90 with the P90 pickups in it. I'm falling in love all over again. Also to answer OGSURF's question my Starfire was one of the later made models out of Corona and The serial number is 000184. So at least 184,LOL.