Elixir Nanoweb Strings

jeffro22

Reaction score
anyone use elixir strings on their guild. It seems a lot of d'addario get used here but dont see too much about elixirs . Do they not sound as good on the guilds?

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
FWIW, I use Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 lights. They're not the best sounding strings out there, but they're not bad, and they do last.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know Neal on LTG swears by them. Nano PBs to be exact. Personally, I used to use them fit finger style, but the shed too easily with a flat pick, so though I really liked them, I had to move on to uncoateds. But I liked their feel. Easy on the finger pads.

Neal

Reaction score
Yep. I have settled on Nanoweb 80/20 lights on my smaller guitars and mediums on my dreads and jumbos. I like fairly bright strings, and for some reason uncoated strings rust under my fingers after several hours of playing. They do lose the coating where flat-picked, but that is not where my uncoated strings deteriorate.

If I pay attention to string hygiene, wiping them down (front and back of string with an old tee shirt) after playing, the nanowebs last a long, long time, with no deterioration in tone.

On the other hand, I do not like the polywebs at all. The coating on them is too thick, and they sound dead to me.

Neal

airbournesailor

Reaction score
I just tried a set of EXP d'addario lights, really like them and they are much cheaper than Elixir. I'll have to see how long they last for a true comparison.

Neal

Reaction score
I agree that the Elixers are expensive. I find them to be economical (for me) in the long run, given how long they last, how good they sound (to my ear) and how seldom I have to restring.

They also "sit and wait" well on instruments that don't get used all that often. They hold tune really well, even on guitars left unattended for a month or more. Just take it out of the case, and "twang".

Neal

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just tried a set of EXP d'addario lights, really like them and they are much cheaper than Elixir. I'll have to see how long they last for a true comparison.

Tried those too recently, didn't like how dry they feel. Most likely going back to John Pearse mediums, PB or not PB, that is the question.

fretless

Reaction score
I use elixirs on both of my Jumbos. I personally think they last longer than the D'Addarios, and I like them as well. I have 80/20s on my J55R, and Phosphor Bronze on my maple F50. The PBs are a little darker sounding than the 80/20s and so I thought they might be too bright on the maple. I'm beginning to enjoy experimenting a little.

I pretty much agree with Neal on everything Elixir... for others... Spectrums on the AJ, John Pearse lights on the F20, D'Addario Bluegrass on the D50, and Elixirs on the JF30 12... not a fan of Taylor guitars, but I've changed strings a lot more often since I started using their stringing method!

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Fretless, can you elaborate on this statement?

..."not a fan of Taylor guitars, but I've changed strings a lot more often since I started using their stringing method!"

Why would a stringing method cause you to change strings more often?

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I use Elixir strings on my Taylor. For some reason they sound really good on that guitar. And they last a LONG time. In the past I haven't liked them on my Guild but..... that could change. Mostly I use GHS Strings.

jeffro22

Reaction score
thanks, Going to put a set of elixirs on and I will let everyone know how I like them

midnightright

Reaction score
I happen to love them. I started out with Elixir polyweb many years ago, when I got my first guild--a used D 25 at Guitar Center. The reason is that the sales manager at the time was trying to sell me a brand new Taylor 310 (or was it 410?) & he said that these were the best made strings on Earth. After about five years of those I switched to the nanowebs, and just stayed with those. Until most recently, when I've gone with John Pearse PB...curiously, I didn't love the Elixir PB-

Reaction score
Guild Total
Polywebs have a thicker coating which makes them sound halfway worn out from day one. They were Elixir's first product. I'm suprised they still sell them. I didn't care for the "half dead" sound, but they did sound "half dead" for months....

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Polywebs have a thicker coating which makes them sound halfway worn out from day one. They were Elixir's first product. I'm suprised they still sell them. I didn't care for the "half dead" sound, but they did sound "half dead" for months....

I once knew a dude on AGF, BigRed, swore by the polys. He loved them, and I assume still does. Now I want that kind of passion for a string, one less thing to think about. Hoping the John Perase New mediums coming soon will be that string for me. 7 bucks, free shipping, heck, I could treat myself to that every month. We will see :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I love the feel of the nano 80/20s, if the dang string shedding didnt make the string look corroded and diseased, they would have been my main string years ago. But I have always been an uncoated guy anyhow. Taylors are awesome with Elixirs, no doubt. But do you really want a guitar that bases some of its awesomeness on a make of string? I am not so sure that is the way to go...Heck, I had old Martin Marquis meds on my D25 last week, and I still couldn't put the darn flatback down...:) Wait, not Taylor bashing, I have owned several and still miss my old pre-NT 712....

fretless

Reaction score
Fretless, can you elaborate on this statement?

..."not a fan of Taylor guitars, but I've changed strings a lot more often since I started using their stringing method!"

Why would a stringing method cause you to change strings more often?

walrus
Because I don't avoid it. There seems to be less guess work, so now it's more of a spending done quality time thing

Last edited:

sunpowder

Reaction score
I have used Elixir Nano 80/20 medium gauge strings on my F50r for at least the last year. I like them for that guitar for reasons mentioned by others.

Most notably, for me, they last forever. I can get a solid 5-6 months out of them when playing that guitar 3-4 times a week, a couple hours at a time. They settle in after a couple days, don't stretch much or lose their tone and brightness for many months. I don't have any problems with shedding or string breakage. They are not the most complex or interesting string out there, but I find them simple, true and clean sounding which works well for me on the big rosewood jumbo. It has plenty of richness and body in the tone with any string, so I like the clean, bright tone signature of the Elixirs plus the added longevity.

I like Pearse 80/20 as well. They have richer harmonics (IMHO), but they only last about a month before becoming dead. Elixirs cost twice as much but last me 5-6 times as long.

I am currently auditioning some strings on the newer D-40BJ. Haven't found its perfect mate just yet.

Michael