Video downloader pop-up screen

griehund

Reaction score
Is it just me? Every time I click on an image or an image appears in a post I get a pop up that says I should download an HD video viewer. I'm not going to install anything on my machine if I don't know what it is or don't need it. What's up with that? Anybody else? :unsure:

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For the first time on this site, using Chrome I had a small tab pop up in the right hand upper corner that said, "Popup Screen Blocked". I never see those. Or hardly ever. Maybe it's the same thing......

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm getting a PC repair pop-up every time I open a new page. I block pop-ups but set an exception for Let's Talk Guild, for reasons that I do not recall.

Also using Chrome.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have not seen such pop-ups but I am using Internet Explorer. It depends what software your computer has. Sounds like you use Google Chrome. Sometimes Google just tries to push software on your computer for getting advertising revenue. So you are right, if you don't need it, don't install it. However make sure your computer has all needed programs in it's latest state, means you have all updates loaded. And you might need an extra player sometimes for special file formats.
Also from time to time you should delete all temporary files and clear your cache.
Ralf

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Every single page today gives me an 'explorer has just blocked a pop up from LTG' window coming up...NOT allowing ,so don't know what it is...this has been without signing in to LTG...obviously, now I'm signed in to post this...Maybe someone can contact Don and let him know so he can check it out.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
While it might just be the usual invasive ad campaign as suggested above, given the previous hacking history here it might be a good idea not to just assume that Don is aware. Maybe one of the mods can contact him.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Moved because the nature of the discussion and my experience suggests this is not (just) an LTG problem. I have called this thread to Don's attention.

While waiting, two comments. I periodically see legitimate ads served from Google and elsewhere that depend upon a newer version of a plugin and when the ad is served my browser pops up something saying that I need the newer version. I always say No and then go research the plugin. If it is something I know I use then I can usually figure out an alternative way to verify there is an update available and that I want it and then I initiate the update. But if I don't know I am using it then I definitely ignore it, in part because there is malware out there that pretends to be an update to something your browser needs.

Second, Don definitely has things configured so that people who are not logged in to LTG but visit the site see more ads than people who log in.

Edit: A quick Google search on rev2pub.com (referred to in the original post) suggests it is either aggressive advertising or a virus or malware. Don can confirm that LTG is not infected but if I were going to bet I would blame it on a specific computer or an ad that was not properly vetted by Google.

griehund

Reaction score
Moved because the nature of the discussion and my experience suggests this is not (just) an LTG problem. I have called this thread to Don's attention.

While waiting, two comments. I periodically see legitimate ads served from Google and elsewhere that depend upon a newer version of a plugin and when the ad is served my browser pops up something saying that I need the newer version. I always say No and then go research the plugin. If it is something I know I use then I can usually figure out an alternative way to verify there is an update available and that I want it and then I initiate the update. But if I don't know I am using it then I definitely ignore it, in part because there is malware out there that pretends to be an update to something your browser needs.

Second, Don definitely has things configured so that people who are not logged in to LTG but visit the site see more ads than people who log in.

Edit: A quick Google search on rev2pub.com (referred to in the original post) suggests it is either aggressive advertising or a virus or malware. Don can confirm that LTG is not infected but if I were going to bet I would blame it on a specific computer or an ad that was not properly vetted by Google.

I'm using a mac with Firefox. I only get the pop-up in LTG. Just blocked pop-ups in preferences. Let's see what happens.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am getting a pop up for a PC optimizer... even with IE Explorers pop-up blocker set to max security (and I am logged in). Just started this morning, for me.

charliea

Reaction score
That happened to me also. In Firefox, I deleted the several cookies rev2pub had sneaked in on me. Problem solved, so far anyway.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just checked the forum back end & it doesn't appear that anything hinky is going on here. I'll double check the google adsense settings, but I did not set up, or authorize pop up advertising.

FYI, I'm using the latest chrome & haven't been getting any pop ups.

griehund

Reaction score
Latest pop-up since I changed my preferences:

popup.jpg

This is a screen shot.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Not getting the pop up today logged in or otherwise...if it snuck thru google, maybe they caught it.

On the other hand...wouldn't it be a good idea if either the OP or a mod REMOVED the rev2pub LINK in the OP's original posting?

Just sayin...

griehund

Reaction score
Not getting the pop up today logged in or otherwise...if it snuck thru google, maybe they caught it.

On the other hand...wouldn't it be a good idea if either the OP or a mod REMOVED the rev2pub LINK in the OP's original posting?

Just sayin...

Done.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Thanks!

And I spoke too soon...the pop up warnings are back...either they defeated any eradication measures or a new one snuck in...

griehund

Reaction score
Thanks!

And I spoke too soon...the pop up warnings are back...either they defeated any eradication measures or a new one snuck in...

Yeah, now I'm getting the screen image above over and over. Still only in LTG. Now I'll try clearing cache and cookies. More later.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Ok, it looks like we're all clear here, but I do see, from malwaretips.com, that this rev2pub appears to be an adware infection of your local machine. I had a similar issue on my son's Nexus. http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-s-rev2pub-com-virus/

Though I don't think it's an actual url, I did add it to my list of blocked urls in my google adsense.

griehund

Reaction score
After I cleared the cache and cookies I got the pop-up on the log in page of LTG. I clicked on the "get me out of here" button and that took me to a "Clean your Mac" app ad. I went back into firefox preferences and pulled down the privacy menu. That gave me a complete list of cookies and I found the "Clean your Mac" cookie in there. Deleted that cookie. See what happens next. OY!