69 D 35 bridge

Br1ck

Reaction score
Just placed a WTB ad, but was curious as to availability from Guild or some other source. I'd of course prefer Brazilian rosewood like the original, which was shaved very thin to postpone the inevitable. Others must have faced this problem. What is the reasonable thing to do?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would first PM Hans Moust... he had a stash of old parts from when Westerly closed down, including some bridges.

At one time, I bought a couple of '70s era rosewood bridges (looked BRW to me) as "insurance" from Willie Frisch (sp?) on eBay. Sadly, Willie passed away recently. I sold my bridges (at cost) to another LTGer restoring a '70s D-40. Guild bridges do come up on eBay now and then, but not as commonly as they did 6-7 years ago.

Good luck!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would first PM Hans Moust... he had a stash of old parts from when Westerly closed down, including some bridges.
For sure get in touch with Hans.
I'm pretty darn sure that he explained to a member with a similar question about a change in bridges during that time period, and asked the member for the pin spacing (center-to-center), to determine which bridge he had.

BJ_Toscano

Reaction score
Just placed a WTB ad, but was curious as to availability from Guild or some other source. I'd of course prefer Brazilian rosewood like the original, which was shaved very thin to postpone the inevitable. Others must have faced this problem. What is the reasonable thing to do?

Sure it's shaved? Early Guild bridges can be very thin from the factory. Part of the Hoboken Guild design.

BJ_Toscano

Reaction score
And if it is shaved too thin, it's probably easiest to have a copy made and installed by an experienced luthier along with the neck reset. That way you can still get Brazilian rosewood. Good luck.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Shaved for sure, and the saddle barely clears the bridge. In contact with Hans so we'll see.

mario1956

Reaction score
I have a BRW bridge blank that may be wide/tall/thick enough for a Hoboken bridge. If you find that you need one I would be glad to donate. All you will have to do is send dimensions and we'll see if it will work.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Wow, that's a nice offer. I'll have detailed measurements and pics by this evening.

Br1ck

Reaction score
When ignorant, defer to authority. Hans thinks my bridge was just thin to begin with. Measuring to confirm. My guitar is also a 70.

LateStart

Reaction score
Mario - If it doesn't work for Br1ck, hopefully we can talk about it for my 72 with cracked bridge (and other issues...). Thanks.

Br1ck

Reaction score
This forum and the internet are great. Hans Moust has what appears to be a match for my bridge which had been shaved quite a bit. Good news because it would be a lot of work to fabricate one.

Br1ck

Reaction score
My bridge arrived today from Hans Moust, and I'm jumping up and down with excitement. It's the exact bridge factory fresh from 1970, and a beautiful piece of Brazilian RW.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My bridge arrived today from Hans Moust, and I'm jumping up and down with excitement. It's the exact bridge factory fresh from 1970, and a beautiful piece of Brazilian RW.

Just in case anyone is interested:

D35_bridges.jpg

He picked the one at the top.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl