DeLuxe pickguard posing

Thunderface

Reaction score
Thought I would check out what my DeLuxes would look like with a clear pickguard. Unfortunately, on Ol' Brown, the nature boy DeLuxe, the screw holes don't like up properly, but they do on the sunburst DeLuxe. What do you think, my Guild brethren and sisteren?

NBbc_zpsa80f2531.jpg

SBbc_zps1805afec.jpg

I also will try it out on my cherry Carved as soon as I can get that one stripped pickguard screw off.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I prefer the black. The clear is too reflective, almost defeating the purpose of seeing the wood beneath. And I think the black balances with the black headstock overlay.

hagmeat

Reaction score
Nice shots TF ! I like both the clear and black guards on the sunburst, on the nature boy I prefer the clear guard.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
My vote: Nature boy looks best with clear; burst looks best with black.

I concur. I cannot wait to see the red carved with the clear pickguard, for the win! :glee:

Thunderface

Reaction score
I also like the black one on the sunburst, and I might like the clear on the nature boy but it can't wear the clear because the screw holes don't line up properly, and I ain't drilling and filling any holes in that gorgeous piece o' mahogany.

Stay tuned for the cherry carved, once I figure out how to get at one striped pickguard screw out. Any ideas?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
once I figure out how to get at one striped pickguard screw out. Any ideas?
Only one way, a tubular screw extractor! If you have small steel tubes you can file one by yourself, it needs to be made from steel, not brass, brass can create a mess around the screw if it catches the screw.
You need one original screw to measure which inner diameter fits over the remaining screw, there should be some room around it, not too tight.
And ALWAYS use a pre-drilled guide block or Plexiglas guide block over it, otherwise you make a mess! (see second and third picture in the StewMac description below)

broken+screw+extractor.jpg

The smallest Grabit tool I am aware of is only good if the screw is 3mm, and usually pickguard or machinehead screws are much smaller like max 2mm diameter.

1257P.JPG

StewMac sells the Ferrari of those tubular extractor kits: http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...its/Guitar_Screw_Rescue_Kit_Complete_kit.html

Guitar_Screw_Rescue_Kit_Complete_kit.jpg

Full instruction video:

Ralf

Last edited:

Thunderface

Reaction score
Thanks Ralf. That's impressive, but I might have to take it to a professional because I'd likely screw it up (pardon the pun).

Thunderface

Reaction score
Okay, it's not a DeLuxe, but I finally got the stubborn pickguard screw off my cherry Carved, and am showing it here with the clear pickguard. Unfortunately, the clear pickguard screw holes don't line up perfectly, so this might just be for cosmetic comparative purposes, and likely will never be put on the cherry Carved, but here's what it looks like in clear compared to its original black pickguard...

CherryCB_zpsd13ab5b7.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yep, black. Gives it a nice aesthetic "linkage" to the headstock.

walrus