Insert video

griehund

Reaction score
I notice that some posts allow inserted videos and some do not. Just wondering what is the deciding factor. Is it something in the OP's settings? Curious minds want to know. For instance, the insert video icon is visible in this post. But it does not always appear in other posts.:unsure:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I noticed the same some time ago, but can't remember which specific sub forums did not allow it. I should have asked the question as well when I noticed...
It's no change that happened recently or so, it always was like this in the new forum.
Also I found it strange that you can only use it once per post and not like pictures where multiple pictures can be inserted in one post.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I noticed the same some time ago, but can't remember which specific sub forums did not allow it. I should have asked the question as well when I noticed...
I thought it was something on the OP's settings too, never noticed a correlation to specific subforum, but I didn't spend much time trying to figure it out.

bronzeback

Reaction score
Forum actions---> General settings ---> scroll down to this and make sure it's on "enhanced interface" and the little icons will appear. Use the film strip one for video. I was having the same problem but just figured this out after poking around with it for a while.
[h=3]Miscellaneous Options[/h]Message Editor Interface:
  • Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
  • Basic Editor - A simple text box
  • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another thing that may be useful that I found, is that when I used youtube's "Share" link, it doesn't show up. However, if I copy and paste the address up in the address box at the top of the webpage, it works. Has anyone else had that same issue? Took me forever to figure it out. :grief:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here is the steps to make this work. ( I wish I had realized on was in the basic editing mode all this time. I didn't have all the fun icons for adding things. )

If you are going to insert a video, you need to make sure the line of code or URL has the format it needs. Specifically, for this forum software, it must have the part that says ".../watch?v=...." in it. If you see the URL doesn't have it, the" "[video ].. [ /video]" " on off brackets won't convert it correctly. If it sees that, it actually edits the first video bracket from " "

What is annoying is that when you right click on a video in YouTube and select " Copy video URL " you do NOT get the part with the watch? stuff. You get the more succinct URL, like " https://youtu.be/goDVD_ffKGg ", which if you splat that into a new tab on your web browser WILL take you to the video. It just won't work with this forum's video links.

Now, some forums have a presetup "YouTube Video" button besides the generic "Video" button. Those ones just need the bare minimum of the video name, since the YouTube part is already assumed. All you need then, is the "goDVD_ffKGg" part from the URL.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think this is worthy of locking and making sticky. I won't do so yet but I would ask that you NOT post to this unless it is a specific unanswered question or new and useful additional information. Thanks.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No, I don't think what John posted solves "the issue" we talked about. Some posts (or subforums here) simply don't show the video icon and also don't allow inserting the code manually in order to have the video shown up. That is what griehund and I had initially mentioned. So it has nothing to do with what John did, he did a great job however describing the normal steps to insert videos correctly.
Ralf

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK. I am clearly missing the problem but I will not consider these to be the complete and definitive instructions and have moved them.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think you can set sections of forums to allow embedded videos or not. I don't run a forum with the same software as is used here, but I believe you can in the package I use. Should be the same here.