J66

johnbiscuti

Reaction score
I played an old j66 amp at Guitar Center in Times Square and was actually super impressed at how good it sounded. They were only asking $500, too - I'm actually considering buying it. Not too much info about them out there - any owners of these here? Would love to hear your opinions, thanks!

nmiller

Reaction score
I just picked up one from the GC in Yonkers. The price was slightly on the high side, but it has the relatively rare two-tone covering and came with the original cover. This is the second 66-J I've had, and it sounds better than how I remember the other one. A rather wide frequency range for its day, with a clear cleans and raunchy crunch when pushed hard. The trem is weak & inconsistent on mine, which is a common problem on Guild amps of this era (probably due to drifting caps). I'm curious if anyone knows about the external speaker jack - specifically, what impedance speaker should be used with it?

Here are two combined catalog pages, from '59 (top) and '63:

gIOzukK.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's mine, I like it.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?179666-1957-66-j

One thing I am curious about for both John and NMiller- this amp is supposed to have a Jensen P12R (like mine). However, 2 have surfaced recently (an eBay one and the one at GC Texas) that both look really nice but they both have a Jensen C12R, both appear they could possibly be original and are both from 1962. Of course they might not be original but with Guild anything goes. So I am just curious of the speakers in those NY GC amps.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
U guys could post some pics too...John is urs by chance badged "Sonola" on the front or standard guild?

nmiller

Reaction score
Here's mine. It does indeed have a P12R; I don't think Jensen (or maybe anyone else) was making ceramic speakers in '58.

BiyuBFl.jpg

t80dhsZ.jpg

qyzfraB.jpg

JIwKizg.jpg