Interesting interview with Ren

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh well. So much for my being able to catch up and digest it.

I like people who speak their mind. I enjoyed speaking F2F to Ren at our LMG events and it's impossible not to respect the guy.

Maybe Ren picked up on some kind of feeling of entitlement in NH culture that I never noticed as an outsider. I just find it a little shocking after years of downsizing and watching jobs go overseas that there would've been much of this. Anyway, I guess there's nothing to comment on now... in more ways than one... :(

I'll only reiterate my continued good wishes to Cordoba as they get closer and closer to carrying on the Guild tradition.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Well, I saw both videos and came away with a slightly different impression...what I heard about the 'inefficiencies' related more to function than personnel...that was an existing factory...anytime you introduce anything new...equipment or process...in to the line...it will alter the balance...think of it as the old 'for every action there is a reaction'...sometimes for the better sometimes not...and the more that is introduced, the more the balance is upset, and the more inefficient the process becomes...sometimes the only way to 'fix' the problem is to start out with a clean slate...build a new factory...obviously not practical...so if the manufacturing cost negatively impacted the profitability...none of that has anything to do with the abilities and talents of the New Hartford workers...it was the system that was broken.

Unfortunately, with the second part not available I can't double check what I thought I heard regarding the workers...which is that a lot of the workers were older and had already made their money and didn't want/need to uproot themselves to start over.

I just didn't hear anything malicious in either video...just casual information regarding the difficulties of functioning in an outmoded facility...starting up a new factory from scratch in a new location...obtaining a building and permits in a 'not easy to work in state'...and finding/hiring/training qualified personnel...is part of the process...and all of it on short notice.

I'm glad Ren picked up the Guild ball and is running with it...and CMG put up the money...hopefully they'll get the video issue sorted out and put it back up so everyone can watch it a dozen times and leave the emotions out of it and just absorb the facts.

This has been my opinion...your mileage may vary...we all have different ears.
icon_wink.gif

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
I just couldn't stand the interviewer's laugh. It got irritating after a while.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder what will become of the NH factory. If I were a rich man...

The building belongs to someone who is not FMIC and I think there is currently one tenant who has nothing to do with guitars, Qvation is still there and the rumors are that the landlord is trying to fill the space. If the rich man wants to build guitars the best bet is to buy Ovation since everything still in the building and capable of building guitars is allegedly Ovation's or trash.

geoguy

Reaction score
I thought there was plenty for CMG to dislike in that second video. Perhaps they asked "Acoustic Letter" to take down that video?

My recollection is that Mr. Ferguson stated that New Hartford's craftspeople were unwilling to adopt his ideas re: producing guitars more efficiently. He seemed to be referring particularly to folks who had previously worked for Ovation or Hamer.

I also did not hear him say anything at all re: the quality of New Hartford's guitars, though he was very complimentary of his former employer, Gibson, & their craftspeople.

He indeed stated that the terminated New Hartford employees received such large severance packages that there was no incentive for them to relocate to California.

He also said that he had hoped to have new Guild guitars produced in Oxnard during 2014, but that it wouldn't likely happen until 2015 because he didn't currently have any employees to do the production work. That statement was accompanied by a very unhappy facial expression. I have no idea when that interview was recorded; perhaps that "no employees" comment is now outdated.

So, yes . . . I think he indeed tossed his former New Hartford colleagues under the proverbial bus. And I can''t fault them for not following him out west.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, plenty of Westerlies on eBay. I am sure it will all get sorted out. My takeaway was CMG is serious about Guild.

Neal

Reaction score
That's what I heard, geoguy.

I kept waiting for Ren to talk about how awesome the New Hartford Guilds were, how proud he was to be associated with them, and what a privilege it was to to realize his dream of starting the custom shop and cranking out some wonderful Orpheums.

I heard none of that. Disappointing. Especially when I know firsthand what was made there, and it was an awesome operation from a quality perspective.

Neal

'71 D-25
'73 D-35
'81 D-212
'03 F-412
'07 F-30 (sale pending)
'12 F-50 Std
'13 M-120
'13 F-47R
'13 Orpheum 12-fret D
'14 Orpheum 12-fret 000 (Rosewood)

Geotrio

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well I for one am glad Guild built guitars in New Hartford CT USA...nothing lasts forever, nothing is ever perfect, but we have some pretty nice guitars to jam on. Perhaps 20 years from now someone will check the label and say "ooooh it's a New Hartford Guild!!!! They were great guitars and VERY limited in quantity, produced only a handful of years!' $$$ Actually there have been so many positive comments about NH product...very much appreciated I'm certain.

It's just really fortunate that Cordoba was able to step in and I can't wait to see their first one. Count me in for a get together in CA plus I can go visit DW drums in Oxnard.