1971 S100 project, the story begins.......

TVeye

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum so...........my name is Mike, I have a Westerly Made 1997 Guild DC-1E BK HG but, this will be my first Guild electric.

So here's the story, Saw this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-197...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
on E-bay one morning and wanted it badly. The shipping calculator was not working on the post so I asked the seller a question about a shipping quote and better pictures of the pickups and headstock.
Before there was a reply, it was sold with a buy it now. I was very upset with myself for letting it get away.
Today, the same guitar was re-listed. Drc (Dave) was the seller. I have read this forum for years so I recognized the name as a prolific Guild enthusiast.
The same pictures appeared in the new listing, which stated Dave had found another vintage S100 and this one was no longer needed, only this time the hardware pictures where missing.
I inquired about included hardware and the reply was that the original HB-1's (coverless), the wiring harness and cover plate were included but the bridge and tailpiece were not. He was nice enough to include the body inserts for the bridge though. I pulled the trigger this time and although drc has not personally acknowledged the purchase yet, I expect it to finish it's journey back to the west coast early next week.

If there is interest, I will post pictures and explanations of the restore progress as it develops.

The first thing I will need to progress is a complete, chrome Version 1 bridge (I know, hen's teeth, guess that's why Dave kept it.)
If anyone can help to find one of these, please post or contact me.

Thanks for your attention, "in my hands pictures" will be posted next week,
Mike_

TVeye

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I'm really looking forward to getting it and I will take anything you would like to include.

I'm already considering bridge options. Has anyone adapted a version 2 bridge onto a version 1 body?
Been in contact with Ken Nash and the only V1 he has is Gold but he has a couple of V2's in chrome.
Leaning toward a Mastery Bridge since it will actually be less pricey and seemingly better designed (any thoughts?)

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
welcome aboard Mike! Congratulations, I cannot wait to see the pictures of progress on this one!

TVeye

Reaction score
Very difficult to communicate on this forum since it takes over 6 hours for my posts to get approved but,
thanks guys, can't wait to get started.

DrumBob

Reaction score
I would do it up in some cool custom color, like Pelham Blue or Fiesta Red. When I worked at Guild, I tried to get them to begin painting the solidbodies in custom colors, and they refused, sticking with the usual boring plain wood grains, white, black, red lacquer and sunburst. Neil wasn't interested, even though I tried to explain that Fender custom colors were back in style.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very difficult to communicate on this forum since it takes over 6 hours for my posts to get approved but,
thanks guys, can't wait to get started.

Sorry about that. The moderators have day jobs and are volunteers and sometimes play Guilds instead of just post about them.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very difficult to communicate on this forum since it takes over 6 hours for my posts to get approved but,...
It's just for newbies, the first few posts are always moderated in order to avoid spam. Later no problem anymore.
Ralf

drc

Reaction score
I am including the bridge as well, so dont buy one. I have to get in back from my buddy, so its not getting shipped until monday morning now. So dont buy a bridge!

TVeye

Reaction score
FedEx listed the delivery date as today 10/30/2014.
Waited here all day.
5 minutes ago delivery date was changed to......... "No estimated delivery date available at this time."
Thanks FedEx, guess I had nothing better to do.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
FedEx lets you customize delivery or have it routed to a FedEx location to pick up at your convenience. I know how you feel, though. I'm still waiting for my Sleater-Kinney boxed set to get here.