I'm finally the proud owner of a Westerly-era Guild D50.....

edgarmadhook

Reaction score
To begin with, a huge "THANK YOU!!" to Neal for being so patient with my getting the money together for this. He's a great guy & could easily have sold it in the time it took me to get my arse in gear. I'm eternally grateful.

I rarely post here. I'd originally signed up 4 or so years back up to get much needed advice on a D50 that I was very tempted by, for sale in the US (I'm in London). In the end the guitar got lost in the post & when it finally returned back at the seller's door (thankfully it didn't end up in a USPS incinerator) I was in need of the cash so got a refund. It transpired that the packaging label had been damaged so it only made it as far as the East coast.

Fast forward to now. I'd originally hoped for a '73 D50 as it's my birth year. In the end I settled on a '77 that Neal was selling. It had the same features of the '73 & I'd played enough of them to know they were, 90% of the time, great sounding dreadnoughts. We chatted a little about what I was getting & it didn't take long for me to make my mind up....

P1030498.jpg

P1030481.jpg

GUILD4.jpg

P1030479.jpg

P1030486.jpg

This guitar sounds incredible! I thought it had new strings on it until Neal pointed out it could maybe do with a string change. Ha!!

I've been playing a '73 Eko Ranger for years. Seriously, for £100 those guitars are amazing and hold there own against plenty of similar era Gibsons & Martins. If you're in the money for a budget entry dreadnought I'd strongly recommend finding a well-played one. They're boat anchors but have that gorgeous rich mahogany tone. Still, I felt the time had come to upgrade to a better constructed, better sounding model & no matter how many guitars I tried I always ended up wanting a Guild.

I'm totally sold on spruce now. It's great to finally appreciate what a good solid top can give (Eko Rangers are laminate topped). This D50 has all the rich, warmth of the Eko but is way more balanced & brighter, plus it has thinner nitro-cellulose laquer (as opposed to the famously thick poly on the Eko) so I'm guessing it's louder. It certainly weighs less.

Happy days!!!

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats! Glad to see Neal's D50 remains in the LTG family. He raved about that Cannon often, only to be beat by Orpheums. Not really a fair fight. 😄

I had a D50 for a time there, and can attest to the richness of sound. Great all around strumming dreadnought. Glad you ended up with this Cannon.

mario1956

Reaction score
The Guilds of that era have the best looking rosewood of any manufacturer. I remember the back/sides of my 78 G-312 was very attractive.

And they sound good to boot.

Neal

Reaction score
Glad to hear she made it safely across the pond. Also happy to let a great guitar go to someone that really, really wanted it. To my way of thinking, that is what this forum is all about.

So, I ask again, where can I send a LTG donation to keep this site happily fed?

And for the record, Woody, it was actually the F-47R that pushed the D-50 out the door. Now the Orpheum 12-fret rosewood 000 is threatening to push the F-47R out the door. Darwinian guitar ownership. Either it gets played or it gets sold.

By the way, the D-25BR won a huge reprieve the other night. Wonderful guitar, going nowhere anytime soon.

Neal

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Glad to hear you are keeping the BR Neal. That model could be quite a relic one day.

edgarmadhook

Reaction score
Darwinian guitar ownership. Either it gets played or it gets sold.

That would mean I'd have to sell my beloved '59 Jazzmaster. I can't put this D50 down!! Gaah!!!

Congratulations on a fine guitar. Beautiful macro photography as well.

Thanks!

It's actually the 20mm pancake lens that came with my Lumix GF1. Still my favourite lens. So much fun to use!!

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations on your Guild D-50 acquisition! When it is such a long time coming it is all the sweeter! Nicely done, both of you.

6L6

Reaction score
Congrats!

Now we need a full guitar shot of the front and back. Great pics by the way!

Bill

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations! way to go in keeping it in the LTG family, awesome team work!

Neal

Reaction score
Allow me...

Here's the front.

DSC_2390_zpsebf45a12.jpg

And here's the back...

DSC_2409_zpsd0f5ec7a.jpg

I need a moment to collect myself. What have I done?

Neal