How Music Saves Lives

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No offense, but ugh. Cities are noisy enough anyway; assuming that the music accompanies the dancing figure, this would simply add to the cacophony. And while it may be more effective than a standard traffic light when it's a novelty, I suspect that before too long you'd see people going back to their old behaviors.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly (always a possibility), Indianapolis tried something similar in the Massachusetts Avenue arts district: an art installation depicting an outlined, stylized female figure. When the light was green, she would dance (basically just swaying side to side); wen the light was red, she would put one hand behind her back and tap her foot. Not exactly the same as the Youtube video, I know (and watching her stand and tap her foot wasn't terribly entertaining, although it did send a clear message), but it didn't work. The installations are still there at a couple of street corners, but now she just sways full-time.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually what I find better is the way they do it in Asia in the big cities. There they show the remaining seconds until it is red or green! So everybody knows that it is worth to wait a few seconds longer. Works very well there!

Ralf

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm with Jeff on the audio part of that idea. No more unnecessary noise, please! Plus, it's just another distraction from the simple task of crossing the freakin' street. :emptiness:

To Ralf's post, many intersections in our downtown have timers on the Walk/Don't Walk signals, so you get to stroll or streak across the street.

Let's face it, humans are strange animals.

Joe

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
We have the "timers" on the traffic lights here in MA, but like the drivers here, everyone ignores them!

walrus