New Guitar Day!! 1975 G75

keith7940236

Reaction score
I was originally going to go out to look at a CV-1 yesterday as I have been looking for a smaller guitar more useful for fingerstyle playing. While checking Craigslist, I came across a G75 for sale. I had seen the guitar on the Westerly Guild Guitars page, but never really paid attention to it. There isn't a lot of information about them. I decided that it couldn't hurt to look so I called and made an appointment to go see the guitar.
I really wasn't very impressed at first, because the neck, fretboard, and body was covered with a sticky gunk. it didn't look to be in that good of condition. I was afraid that at the age that it was, it was going to take a lot of money to make it right.

After taking it out of the case, I was delighted as how comfortable it was to hold. It sat very comfortably on my lap and was very easy to reach around. The neck was comfortably rounded and very accessible. Although the action was high, the neck looked straight and there was plenty of saddle left to shave down. I bought it on the spot.

After getting her home, I started with the cleaner and spent the next two hours removing years of gunk and dirt. I polished the frets, oiled the fretboard, adjusted the truss rod and strung her up with 80/20 12's. It is really an amazing feeling when you hear the sound of a guitar at the first strum and know that you have a keeper on your hands. Size wise, she's about the same dimensions an 00 guitar, but with a little more soundboard area. The neck is perfectly straight and the frets have plenty of life, but could use a good crowning. I think that before the neck was reset, the bridge was sanded down on one side so the bridge looks a little funny. But the action is now about right and she should have years of music still inside of her. This is the perfect fingerstyle guitar for me, sweet sounding and very clear.

I've also included a photo of the G75 next to my Martin HD-35

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A beauty, Keith! Love the grain on the back!

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Keith!! So you're telling me a G75 is like a little mini-dread? I'm LOVING the concept. I've never heard of this before. What's the scale length on that? Wow.... I'm just stunned what a beauty it is. Congratulations, my friend!! Golly..... :encouragement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I recall this model from Hans' book but never thought I would actually see one. What a score. Rare find. Congrats!

keith7940236

Reaction score
Wow, Keith!! So you're telling me a G75 is like a little mini-dread? I'm LOVING the concept. I've never heard of this before. What's the scale length on that? Wow.... I'm just stunned what a beauty it is. Congratulations, my friend!! Golly..... :encouragement:
She's about 15" at the lower bout and the body is about 19" long. The scale is the standard 25.5". It is basically a small D50 with Rosewood back and sides, spruce top and scalloped bracing.

edgarmadhook

Reaction score
Nice!!

It's incredibly similar to the '77 D50 I just bought, particularly the rosewood figuring on the back.
Strikes me as a really useful size too. Dreads can sometimes feel uncomfortably huge, especially playing it on the couch.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
First time on the LTG have ever noted the feeling of envy in my mind towards anothers' Guild :)

Reaction score
I also have a G75 bought new I 1976.. Still am playing it, and it keeps getting mellower with age, (or is that just me?)

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You didn't show a pic of the bridge, but the difference in height might be original. The treble side of the bridge on my '78 D-35 was at least 1/16" lower than the bass side... Altho' I bought it used back around 1985, I don't think the bridge had been shaved.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Keith:
That is a "ooo wee" guitar for sure and you just may have a long honeymooooooooooon!
That is a big splash for your first post and "welcome."

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
beautiful, congrats and enjoy! that back rw grain pattern is killer!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just an observation but this is a NGD post from 2014. I remember when Keith bought this one and to be honest I am not even sure if he still has it or not. IIRC he may have sold it awhile back.

TX