4+20 on my BR

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Played it some today, what a great tone the 1971 D25BR has. I am in EBEEBE. Finally figured out this Stills tune with help from u tube. Can't sing at same time. 😄

http://youtu.be/h_OgWRSR_f4

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Excellent +! Might be my favorite of all your clips. Good job. :triumphant:

*Keep the BR, looks good on you,
Joe

*Was that your agent coming in toward the end? :apple:

Thanks Joe! Yes, Isaac. He and Rae didn' want Grammy to leave tomorrow so he was telling me his plan to change her ticket. 😄

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks guys! I really like that tuning, I think stills used it a lot. I worry cranking the A and D strings up to B and E but the guild dread handles it well. Isaac is my favorite part. Kid is hilarious.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Westerly Wood said:
Played it some today, what a great tone the 1971 D25BR has. I am in EBEEBE. Finally figured out this Stills tune with help from u tube. Can't sing at same time.

Westerly Wood said:
I really like that tuning, I think stills used it a lot. I worry cranking the A and D strings up to B and E but the guild dread handles it well.

Hello Wood,

It's a great tune. Figured that out at the time and if I remember correctly it actually was done originally at DADDAD; the same intervals but 1 whole step down. So your A and D string stay the same and everything else goes down. Playing it in D gives you that nice low-end rumble on the bass string.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello Wood,

It's a great tune. Figured that out at the time and if I remember correctly it actually was done originally at DADDAD; the same intervals but 1 whole step down. So your A and D string stay the same and everything else goes down. Playing it in D gives you that nice low-end rumble on the bass string.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Sweet, thanks Hans. That would cure my paranoia over the string tension on my old BR. Wonder why most players of this song have it in EBEEBE. I heard Stills did Suite Judy in same tuning. Is that a well known blues tuning? Bet it would work well for slide.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This one was very well done, Clay, so you won't read any negative votes.
It's one of those tunes that requires a bit of work. As Hans alluded, I do it in DADDAD and I'm a lyrics freak so I sing it, too.
Lyrics are my first love so there's no surprise there. My instrumentals might suffer, but that's life with six strings (or twelve if you wish).
:apple:

Joe