Barney Kessel on a Guild

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Was looking at Barney's wiki entry and, lo and behold, there's a pic of him playing an X-500! (Definite this time.!) I don't know if he was trying out a friend's, or if he did indeed own one, but here he is.
Barney_Kessel.jpg

guildman63

Reaction score
A cool pic! I posted that a long time ago, I believe in a thread about favorite photos of an artist with a Guild. The details are fuzzy in my aging brain, but I would have loved to get his impression of that guitar.

Can't say what the year is, but looks to be a late Westerly X-500.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't be too late. He stopped playing in '92 after a stroke, I believe. Judging by the clothes, I'd say late '70s/early '80s. (but, then again, some get stuck in a style in their later years.)
Did Hans chime in about whether that was his X-500 when you first posted it?

guildman63

Reaction score
Good point about the year! I don't recall Hans mentioning anything about that guitar, but perhaps he will chime in.

Any idea who the other guy in the picture is?

Last edited:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Probably not Barney's guitar. He almost always replaced control knobs with chicken head knobs, made it easier to know what level they were on without looking. Brad
41MMDjSpKfL._SY355_.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
Judging by the clothes, I'd say late '70s/early '80s. (but, then again, some get stuck in a style in their later years.)
Did Hans chime in about whether that was his X-500 when you first posted it?

Hello AcornHouse,

The date could be right. Looks like an X-500 from the second half of the seventies to me. Don't know if it was his guitar; photo may have been taken in the backroom of a music store or at a guitar dealer's place.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In actuality, with the shelves and all, it looks a lot like somebody from this board's basement I've visited!

Although, my apartment used to look liked this:

rt132.jpg

Now my storage "Vault: looks like this:

001-1.jpg

guildman63

Reaction score
I always found his reasoning for using chicken head knobs odd. Why is it important to know what number the guitars volume or tone is at? The amp and guitar will be pre-set during the sound check, and while performing wouldn't his well-trained ears be more than effective? I heard him talk about this a few years ago, and to this day I still don't get it.

Probably not Barney's guitar. He almost always replaced control knobs with chicken head knobs, made it easier to know what level they were on without looking. Brad
41MMDjSpKfL._SY355_.jpg