Guitar Wall Hanging

Reaction score
Hi there. I am trying to find a spot in my house to wall- mount my guitars. Is is safe to do so above an oil-radiator, which is switched on 2 hrs per day? I have acoustic, classical, electric and archtop. Thanks for any advice.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd be very uncomfortable placing a guitar near any source of heat (or cold), regardless of the source. I don't even like the guitars too close to my humidifiers. Especially above the humidifiers where the fan blows the moisture up into the room. It's an extreme and those should be avoided! That's my opinion.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
I suppose, if the continual fluctuation in the range of temperature isn't too extreme and there's constant and proper humidity, you would be alright, but I'm sure folks with more expertise than I, will come along soon and give you good advise.

Cheers!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think I'd find a different spot if I could. Just to be on the safe side.

gibsonjunkie

Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree, especially if it is switching on and off. I hang guitars below a ceiling duct outlet, but I have a deflector on it and it is a few feet away.

Neal

Reaction score
I would also rule out any exterior wall. Humidity from outside of the house will find its way inside and sit between the inside of the wall and the guitar's back.

Neal

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Best to avoid the situation. As someone who has personally damaged two guitars because of their proximity to baseboard heaters, I can tell you that you'll kick yourself forever.

I'm not sure if there's an issue with exterior walls where you are, Colin. Neal's warning might be unnecessary for N. Ireland climate, but again... better safe than sorry.

Before abandoning any location, though, you might want to get a hygrometer and keep an eye on the area that you're thinking of. Avoiding extremes is really important for solid wood guitars.

Just_Guild

Reaction score
Hi there. I am trying to find a spot in my house to wall- mount my guitars. Is is safe to do so above an oil-radiator, which is switched on 2 hrs per day? I have acoustic, classical, electric and archtop. Thanks for any advice.
I think this question and answer should be contemplated over a glass or two of good Irish whiskey.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am one that violates the "no hanging on outside walls" rule of thumb... since that was pretty much the only place I had available to hang my Guilds. Here is my setup (my most recent Guild family pic):

158220940.jpg

I actually have used a thermocouple and several hygrometers to try and measure temp/RH gradients associated with the wall... and have not really seen anything that I would consider an issue (although I do see 3-5% differences in RH around the room, with the driest spot being near the furnace duct). However, I will point out that (1) I live in UT; (2) I use a room humidifier year round, shooting for ~40% RH in the driest spot (and <45% in the most humid), and (3) most of the wall in question is below grade (just guessing, but the headstocks are probably just about grade level). There is also very little heat in the room (due to the tortuous path of the duct work, very little of the forced air actually gets to the room... temp bottoms out at about 60F in winter. I dress warm when I go down to play.). The cheap blankets (<$5 each at the import store) were put there both to negate the temp difference from the wall, and to prevent me from banging guitars against the wall.

I have had guitars hanging on that wall for at least the last 5-6 years, and have not seen any problems... no evidence of condensation or moisture on the guitars, no evidence of any cracking/warping/etc, and tuning is rock stable. The tuning may drift 5-10 cents as the seasons change (temps ~60F in winter, around ~75F in summer), but the guitars stay in tune with themselves.

I use Hercules hangers, which I really like, attached to a backer board. Initially, I had secured the backing board with a dozen toggle bolts into the sheetrock (the studs were just not conveniently located). I think that actually would have been sufficient, but I added half a dozen screws into studs (where I could find them), in response to pleadings from concerned LTGers.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Could you define "a few" please? :apple:

Joe

More than one, less than too many :)

People who have had it in the UK and USA tell me that Guinness stout is not the same beverage in both places. Is that true for Smithwicks ale as well?

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, it seems, when serious contemplating needs to be done, it works best when one of the following is within arms reach:

Jameson
Irish Crème
Guinness
Smithwicks

:fat:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I have studio lighting above mine (a serious heat source), but I've got a dimmer switch on the lighting and turn them on about once a year, and only when other guitar players stop by. For wall hanging, Hercules are the only way to go, and I love the swivel hangers so they may be oriented in any direction. Very surdy, secure hangers and very nitro friendly. I'd keep yours far away from any heat source. But it was very simple to do....a nice piece of spruce, route the edges, a little stain, and some serious lag bolts....nothing to it.

West

Last edited: