Westerly R.I dreadnought with solid mahagony back and sides

DSUS2

Reaction score
I'd like to pick up a dreadnought with solid spruce top and solid mahagony back and sides. Any thoughts on which Guild models I should look at? My budget is around 2k. I'd like a USA made model. Not sure about New Hartford products. Thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd like to pick up a dreadnought with solid spruce top and solid mahagony back and sides. Any thoughts on which Guild models I should look at? My budget is around 2k. I'd like a USA made model. Not sure about New Hartford products. Thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Does it have to be from Westerly? For ~$2K, I'd spend a wee bit more and get an Orpheum like this one.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow, you've got a ton of options here. Plus, you don't need to spend anywhere near $2k for a great Guild with the specs you described. I realize you said Dreadnought but following up on what Sandy said, I picked up just recently an Orpheum Jumbo, not new but you'd never know it to look at it, in a burst finish with the Ren Fergusen (sp??) COA for just a tad more than the $2,000. It's an absolutely wonderful Guild. I'm almost afraid to play it it's so darn purdy.

Good luck in your search!!!

Richard from the backwoods of Michigan

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Holy crap, Sandy!! That's a really GOOD option!! :encouragement:

Indeed Tom, but also three times the price of a nice Westerly D40. The Orpheum is a completely different beast though.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
DSU, you can get a very nice Westerly built mahogany guitar for way under $2000. The D25, D40, F40, F47.......there are several nicely built Westerly mahogany guitars, and a very nice one would probably run you anywhere from say $500 to maybe $1500 on the very high end. What are you looking for?

West

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi "D", welcome aboard!
Specifically there are only 2 models that meet your exact criteria, of a Westerly dreadnought with solid 'hog back/sides and spruce top: D40 and D35. D40 is by far more common. It's been around since '63 in that configuration, no matter where it was built.
The F40/47 someone mentioned is a Grand Orchestra ("jumbo" in Gibson speak).
ALL Westerly acoustic tops are solid, by the way. In fact I think all Guild acoustics had solid tops no matter where they were built.
You're specific enough in your inquiry that I assume you know exactly what you want, but just in case, be aware that the laminated arched backs like those found on D25's are in no way inferior to the solid flat backs. They simply offer a different voice for a 'hog backed dreadnought, better suited for fuller sounding chords when strumming, but still pretty dang versatile.
New Hartford had an excellent quality reputation, you may still be able to find one of their D40's within your budget, and even get warranty, if it's "New Old Stock". Ask the dealer that question specifically, as new owners Cordoba Music Group committed to honor warranty on that type of instrument, but there may be other liquidated instruments out there which were sold without warranty.
Our member BingK operates Guitars of Montana and as an authorized dealer would be sure to have warranted intruments as well as a great price for members here. Just don't know if he's got any D40's.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Several D40s in reverb.com for around 1K. Even Pre Westerly Hoboken. But I agree with Sandy, if you have the budget,Orpheum would be quite a catch.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi there. Couldn't a DV 6 also fill his needs? I've got a really sweet one that I hope to hang onto until the end of time. It's a burst finish with factory installed electronics although I don't use them.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Sure could, and quite nicely.

West

Hi there. Couldn't a DV 6 also fill his needs? I've got a really sweet one that I hope to hang onto until the end of time. It's a burst finish with factory installed electronics although I don't use them.

Neal

Reaction score
D-35's can be found dirt cheap, with no frills or bling, but fitting your specs exactly, for $600-$700. Try to get an early Westerly ('70-'73). They are light as a feather and tough as nails.

I have owned one for nearly 40 years now, and only after buying a bunch of other guitars have I come to truly appreciate it.

Neal

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sure could, and quite nicely.
West
Good catch Richard! I only remembered 'em late last night and came to see if anybody'd caught it yet.
A minor detail to remember is that only Westerly Dv6's were 'hog bodies.
They changed to rosewood for a short period in Tacoma and then production was moved to Mexico.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just for clarity, during the Tacoma/Mexico production, the mahogany version was known as a DV-4. Of the two -- the DV-4 and the rosewood DV-6 -- of that era, I really liked the -4 a lot more. It sounded wonderful. But, I couldn't warm up to the roughness of either of the (early) Mexican ones I played. The headstocks on the ones I saw were cut kinda jagged and just not quite symmetrical, and the finish was amazingly raw. I wish I could see those guitars again now. That thin, rubbed finish might appeal to me more these days, but the neck just didn't feel right to me (in either case).

jcwu

Reaction score
Just for clarity, during the Tacoma/Mexico production, the mahogany version was known as a DV-4. Of the two -- the DV-4 and the rosewood DV-6 -- of that era, I really liked the -4 a lot more. It sounded wonderful. But, I couldn't warm up to the roughness of either of the (early) Mexican ones I played. The headstocks on the ones I saw were cut kinda jagged and just not quite symmetrical, and the finish was amazingly raw. I wish I could see those guitars again now. That thin, rubbed finish might appeal to me more these days, but the neck just didn't feel right to me (in either case).

The funny thing is, Chaz, I cut my Guild teeth on the HR finished DV52, and because of that, I prefer the HR and satin finishes over the glossy finishes, because I associated that finish with "nicer" guitars, having graduated from a glossy Takamine!

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sure you can get Tacoma DV4s for ridiculous little money in the US! I love mine for the incredible punch it has. (Nevertheless I have to admit that it hasn't got much playtime with the D-55 and the OM around … but they also cost 3-4 times as much!)
Markus :smile:

Ronald Reagan

Reaction score
i've got a 76 d 25 that i'm considering parting with...nice shape...looking for $800ish

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sure you can get Tacoma DV4s for ridiculous little money in the US! I love mine for the incredible punch it has. (Nevertheless I have to admit that it hasn't got much playtime with the D-55 and the OM around … but they also cost 3-4 times as much!)
Markus :smile:

Glad to hear your enjoying the new additions Markus. Happy New Year to you and Sylvia!

i've got a 76 d 25 that i'm considering parting with...nice shape...looking for $800ish

Ronnie, I believe the OP is looking for a Guild with solid mahogany back and sides.

Ronald Reagan

Reaction score
Glad to hear your enjoying the new additions Markus. Happy New Year to you and Sylvia!

Ronnie, I believe the OP is looking for a Guild with solid mahogany back and sides.

True dat....but I was once looking for a redhead with a big smile, and ended up with a brunette with little dimples...

You just never know

Happy new year everyone

fretless

Reaction score
the D40 is such a Guild classic, and at 2K I think you could have your pick. I'm a Westerly guy, but I hear such great things about New Hartford too. I almost envy your position. Cheers, Rick

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
the D40 is such a Guild classic, and at 2K I think you could have your pick. I'm a Westerly guy, but I hear such great things about New Hartford too. I almost envy your position. Cheers, Rick

And Rick, your guild guitar collection is awesome.