France modifies the JF30

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice find, Wood!

Note that it was a JF-30-12 12 string that Québécois (Canadian, not French) luthier Michel Pellerin modified, converting it to a 10-string and filling two machine head holes, adding a cutaway, wider saddle, new bridge holes, a scalloped fingerboard for easier bending and vibrato, a modified nut and a Baggs pickup.

Here is a clip of Gino Fillion playing that modified Guild:

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Is this a "harp" guitar? Pretty fascinating. I remember pictures of it a few years ago. The way it's strung is also fascinating. I think at least a couple of those treble-side tuners are handling the bass note strings. I wonder how that nut can handle that.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So what would the purpose be for the excess treble side of the fingerboard that has no strings over it? I see him bend some strings down but it still seems to be much wider then it needs to be.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction Christophe.... after the first two spoken words I knew it was from Canada.
Not that there's anything wrong with that! :laughing:

But France is mourning today. Don't bother her.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the correction Christophe.... after the first two spoken words I knew it was from Canada.
Not that there's anything wrong with that! :laughing:

What's with these French-Canadians anyway? Are they Canadian or are they French, and why the &%#$ do they have to always answer the phone in French????

Looking at that guitar, I'd say, that pretty much explains it!:laughing:

I deal with folks from Quebec almost on a daily basis, so I figure I'm entitled to says these things in jest.:witless:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very soothing song by Gino, thanks Christopher. Oops on France.

Smitch

Reaction score
Is this a "harp" guitar? Pretty fascinating. I remember pictures of it a few years ago. The way it's strung is also fascinating. I think at least a couple of those treble-side tuners are handling the bass note strings. I wonder how that nut can handle that.

Definitely not a harp guitar. You want to see someone that wrote the book on harp guitar and many other innovations, check out Michael Hedges. He ain't no cornball picker.