D-55 . 50th anniversary edition mentioned

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A poster over a AGF mentioned a shop offered to sell him a 50th anniversary D-55 for $3100. I thought, OK, I want a D-55 someday, but that seems to rich for my blood for what must be just a bit more customed up guitar that plays and sounds the SAME as a regular on. Then I read these may have Brazilian rosewood. OK... I really don't feel that is worth the extra people charge for it...then I saw some picture of one example. Of course, there is NO guarantee what the example he was told about looks like. But the one I saw looks like this:

90b3535ed5068c96371695f148010f02be1435a_r.jpg

That's some really cool figuring !

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Then I read these may have Brazilian rosewood. OK... I really don't feel that is worth the extra people charge for it...then I saw some picture of one example. Of course, there is NO guarantee what the example he was told about looks like. But the one I saw looks like this:
90b3535ed5068c96371695f148010f02be1435a_r.jpg

That's some really cool figuring !

Yep they were Braz, and imagine my surprise to find that our much-discussed #1 of 50, which has been offered at $8995.00 for several years now, is finally wearing a "sold" sticker!:
http://www.gbase.com/gear/guild-d-55-anniversary-1-50-2003-figured-braz

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, if a person could figure out WHERE this poster was offered one for $3100, it might be a great deal ? I haven't read any response to my question, over at AGF. Not that I have 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So, if a person could figure out WHERE this poster was offered one for $3100, it might be a great deal ?
"Might be" 's the critical qualifier, there.
That #1 for example would qualify as genuine "New Old Stock", it was never previously sold, it's been in Showcase since new. It wouldn't surprise me for example if Cordoba would honor warranty on that guitar considering the provenance.
Also, we recently saw a listing for a prototype of that guitar made for NAMM, the seller seemed to believe IT was the #1 because it was the prototype and was asking about $5,000, "If I recall correctly" ?
There was some discussion here and I think the concensus was that in this case a prototype is not the same as the production serial numbered number 1 of a limited production run. It's just what it is, a prototype, and hard to value since it is "the only one".
For sure that's my opinion, but you see there are already wide discrepancies in market valuations and knowledge of the model.
:wink:
I haven't read any response to my question, over at AGF. Not that I have 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket.
Makes one kinda curious why it hasn't been offered here.
It's not like we're famous for paying whatever's asked or anything.
:highly_amused:

6L6

Reaction score
Did not know the Showcase #1 had sold.

I've posted my experience of playing that guitar when it first came in. Just a super guitar and the initial price was $5000. I remember they soon dropped the price to $3500, but still had no takers. Then the price went up to $9K and the guitar went into a showcase with other beautiful instruments.

Even if they paid $8995 for that guitar, it's a beauty and I'm sure will keep a smile on the new owner's face.

Bill

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Actually, according to Mr. Moust, there may have been more than 1 "prototype" for a given model. I used to own a prototype, and in discussing it with Hans, discovered there could indeed be more than one. Now I don't know if there may have been subtle differences between prototypes of the same model or not, but I would think so. It seems like "FF" may have been the old prototype serial designation.....something like that anyway.

West

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Actually, according to Mr. Moust, there may have been more than 1 "prototype" for a given model.
The difference here, between the "prototype 50th Anni D55" and Hans's statement about prototypes would be like the difference between Picasso's original drawing (or drawings) to be rendered as an etching, and the numbered linited edition of etchings themselves.
For sure the #1 of the numbered edition will be the most valuable.
Will it be more valuable than the "prototype" drawing(s)?
Probably, but only the market can answer that.

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
by far the most interesting guitar back that I have ever seen. Wow.