Nitrocellulose laquer on Guild What years?

Kapten Kork

Reaction score
I'm curius to know how long continued to use nitrocellulose laquer on their guitars.
What can I expect on a say guitar from late 70ies, 80ies or 90ies.

Michael

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm curius to know how long continued to use nitrocellulose laquer on their guitars.
What can I expect on a say guitar from late 70ies, 80ies or 90ies.
Michael
Hi Michael:
There was some experimentation with poly lacquer on electric archtops for sure in late '90's Westerly and early Corona, a couple of members have poly-finshed Savoys from that period. I'd guess the solid bodies would have it too, but not sure.

Last edited:

Kapten Kork

Reaction score
Thanks
I Think I posted in the wrong section couse the guitar Im thinking about right now is a bluesbird with serialnr CL000070 probably build in the mid 90s
But I really want to know about hollowbodies to.
Is it not the same on hollowbodies, solidbodies and acustics?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Kapten Kork said:
Im thinking about right now is a bluesbird with serialnr CL000070 probably build in the mid 90s

That would be a polyurethane finish.

But I really want to know about hollowbodies to.

No, it's not the same!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I missed that this was in archtops when I first saw the question, and I posted an answer about acoustics, then I edited it..
For acoustics, if they were built in the US, they were all NCL, in all factory locations.
For the period you ask about, '70's-90's, that would have been in Westerly Rhode Island.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. I think it will help me decide
M

Michael, in case you didn't know, Hans is very likely THE world's foremost expert on Guilds from the founding through end of Westerly production, at least.
He literally wrote "the book": "The Guild Guitar Book" which is mentioned here frequently.
Unfortunately it only covers through 1978 so we're anxiously awaiting the second volume.
This forum is the best place to get info about later instruments, as you've seen.
Good luck in your search.

Kapten Kork

Reaction score
Yeah I undersand that Hans know his stuff. He's also a very nice and helpful gentleman.
And I have learned a lot from reading his book.

Next question when did they stop with nitro on the hollowbodies? Like a Sf 2 or 3? Is it the same as the bluesbird?

M

Neal

Reaction score
I have a '99 X-150 that appears to be NCL. If it is poly, they have me fooled, because it is thin and transparent over sunburst, allowing for the beautiful maple flame to pop.

Neal

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a '99 X-150 that appears to be NCL. If it is poly, they have me fooled, because it is thin and transparent over sunburst, allowing for the beautiful maple flame to pop.

Neal

It is poly and it shows that a well done polyurethane finish can look as good as a nitrocellulose finish. If the spray guy knows his job, the end result will be fine!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl