Modern country music...what has happened to you?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The line between country and pop has been getting blurrier and blurrier. And lack of originality has effected both of them as the "corporates" and "mega-producers" and "image consultants" make the decisions. As bluesy said, it's "bizness"...

I can see it now: Jimi Hendrix shows up on American Idol. "Oh, he has some talent, but it will never sell, not mainstream enough". So he is either ignored, or worse, he is put in a suit, given a Taylor, and sings covers.

walrus

guildman63

Reaction score
Sadly, you do get some talent and originality on American Idol, but it usually gets trumped by a decent cover.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
At least there's Jason Isbell and Sturgil Simpson making good music.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My response to the OP is pretty long-winded so I'll quickly summarize and just say that today's country music doesn't really do a lot for me. But, as Pascal so eloquently put it, it's all about "bizness," punctuated by :greedy_dollars: :greedy_dollars: .

Listen to or read the lyrics to Country Is by Tom T. Hall. :apple:

Joe

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I never was a "devout" country fan actually though I've come to appreciate it. Also, old school (for lack of a better term) gave us what some consider alternate country and the likes of Gram Parsons, EmmyLou, The Flying Burrito Brothers, William Whitmore, Chris Hillman, and the list goes on.

I don't really like this new country music but it isn't about what an old fart likes anyway.

Peace

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Anybody remember countrypolitan, when Nashville went all strings and such? Two quotes come to mind. 100 years ago, somebody complained to composer Charles Ives that the music of the time of Lincoln had devolved into the rattle and trap of ragtime. His response was that the part of ragtime and other contemporary music would survive and the rest would be long forgotten. He was right, IMO. More recently, somebody told Ray Bradbury that 90% of Sci-Fi was BS. He agreed, but added that 90% of most anything is BS, you just have to find the 10%.
This too, shall pass.
Brad
PS I've always maintained that I only like country music that still has the cow sh*t on it.

Watasha

Reaction score
Jamey Johnson is another guy who is still playing & writing true country music. Any man who puts out a studio album dedicated entirely to Hank Cochran songs has my respect.

Alan_M

Reaction score
I am really taken with Hooray for the Riff Raff. I'm glad people are still making real roots music. And I'm crazy about Hank Williams, Merle Travis, and all the Bakersfield sound guys too. The stuff that's popular now isn't even "country" in my book.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is a great video that really tells a story. I've heard some of these new "country" songs, and I've always said, "They sound like the same song." And now someone just proved it for me. The lyrics are bull****. They're not saying anything. Kinda like rap. It's a bunch of bull**** party words going round and round with a catchy beat over and over so the drunk kids have something to latch on to. Shallow.

But who am I to say...... LOL!! :encouragement:

jcwu

Reaction score
I actually went through a country phase about a month ago, had my radio tuned to a local country station - and after about a month of listening, I came to discover they play about a total of 15-20 songs, that fall into these categories:

You're Hot
I'm Drinking
You're Hot When I'm Drunk
We're Drunk
Cut-Off Jeans (Overlaps often with You're Hot)

There were a few catchy tunes here and there, but after a while, they kind of all started to sound kind of the same. :(

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
By the way, the crossover hits that have a rap breakdown in them... seriously, who's idea was this?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Since Sandy mentioned him, here's a nice one by Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAs05x28wwM

I like this.

Joe

I do too Joe. I read a review that called "Southeastern" a "master class in songwriting", and I agree. A while back Jason sent out requests for pictures of loved ones that died of cancer for the video of "Elephant". I sent in a picture of my mother in her younger years, and it can be seen right at the two minute mark (obligatory warning, one F bomb towards the beginning). A beautiful, but terribly sad, song.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Belated condolences, Sandy. That is a classic heart-wrenching song...

walrus