what do I have?

Reaction score
I have owned a guild electric bass since about 1977. It seems like a pretty simple, plain guitar. When I look at it's serial number, it shows ds-175l

Does anyone have any idea what this means?...and what the guitar might be worth?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello DaveZ,

Welcome! The serial number that you gave, ds-175, doesn't make sense to me, but I was wondering if it's a typo and you meant to write SD-175. In that case it could be a Guild JetStar bass from 1966. If that's what it is, you have what is often referred to as the 'Monkees' version of this bass, with the 4-in-line tuners on the headstock and 1 small single coil pickup with a white cover; that is ....... if it's still original.

Value would depend on the condition of the guitar, but maybe you could show us a photo of the bass first, so we can determine what it really is.
If you don't know yet how to post photos, just go ahead and send them to me at: guitarchives@wxw.nl

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

If you need reference material there is a good collection of Guild solid bodies here. That will be useful if you have not posted pictures and Hans' well educated guess does not seem correct.

And here is a JetStar with four in line tuners in action.

_8312316_orig.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
More Monkees talk! Yes!
walrus
Makes ya wonder what they saw in Peter that they didn't see in Steven Stills. :highly_amused:
And that photo must be really early since they hadn't yet pulled Davey off the drums because he was too short ..:biggrin-new:
Welcome to the nuthouse, Dave!

edwin

Reaction score
I don't want to veer this thread off topic, but is this the same neck that Casady used in his Flying V bass with the Hagstrom pickups?

jackcasadyGuildVbass.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't want to veer this thread off topic, but is this the same neck that Casady used in his Flying V bass with the Hagstrom pickups?

jackcasadyGuildVbass.jpg

Over here...

Guild didn't make it, Glen Quan did, using an an old Jet-Star neck.

DS

So the visual evidence plus the Testimony Of One Who Has Played The Bass Under Discussion And Jet-Stars would answer yes.