Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Spin baby...
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '10 F512NT
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '12 D50NT Std, '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    Spin baby...
    Aww... Be nice. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

I'm actually quite happy with the pickups in my Starfire IV. They are not, however, the pickups I would want in an S-100. So, for the Starfire, beauty is in the ear of the listener. As for the S-100? Let's just say I'm anxiously waiting to find out the specs on the new pickups.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.' Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    Spin baby...
    It is spin & I don't buy it. If they are going with the same specs on the bridge pickup, which most have complained about, then this is a mistake, IMO.

With regards to wiring coils in a pickup, the most important thing is not the DC resistance itself but the number of turns of wire around the coils. The pickup winders will go for a thinner wire in order to get more turns on a coil (to increase the inductance & get a fuller, hotter pickup). These pickups, as a result, have a higher DC resistance because there is a greater length of wire (more turns) & also because the wire is thinner (more resistance per meter or foot). Conversely the thicker wire on the bridge reissues, you would think,would result in less turns on the coils and give a brighter, weaker pickup, especially in relation to the neck, which causes the imbalance that owners have complained about. Personally I'm not a fan of overwound pickups - they lose their clarity & airiness - but these bridge re-issues seem to go too much the other way. Note, maybe I am being unfair as I haven't actually heard these pickups but am going off the first hand accounts of LTGers who do own them & who I trust (& the specs don't make any sense to me).

How about some real specs/info - no. of turns, inductance, type of magnet, is the rather unusual blade used in the non-screw coil rather than 6 studs etc?
    '92 JF30-12, '89 D25 SB, '78 D50,'97 SF4, '63 CE-100D SB, '77 S-100, '72 S-100, '76 S-100 carved, '66 SFV SB, '96 S-100 DeLuxe,
    '55 X-50, '61 SFIII, '13 NS M75 , '13 Orpheum 12 Fret Dread,
    '13 Orpheum Jumbo

The last sentence got my attention.

"Itís easy to fall into the trap of specs and speculations but in the end, you should always count on your ear because after all, itís our ears which we are trying to please!"

I would argue that the ears of a the potential customers are more important, and if people are not liking the bridge pickup trying to force it on the public may not be such a good idea.

In short.." We like the way they sound and it will cost too much to change. "

If they change them people may stop buying the pre-CMG guitars, which would leave many unsold. The other possibility is that PR says one thing, but tweaks have been made behind the scenes so that the potential issue is rectified without any admission of issues. I don't think that is so, but I'm just throwing out the possibility.

As for Andertons demo, it sounds pretty darned good to me, and on both pickups!

Guild Newark Street - Starfire IV Semi Hollow: http://youtu.be/Zs886ErZWHA

Dude, the bridge minibucker sucks. It's balless and thin. It's easy to make something sound platable on youtube, with it's lousey sound quality, but I can't play those guitars. The T-400 sounds fabulous on the neck setting, but I want to pull the bridge pup out and throw it across the room. The same with the NS SF-lV. It sits in the case.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
    In short.." We like the way they sound and it will cost too much to change. "
    We have to sell these guitars somehow and we don't want to have to replace every single pup.
    Think that is probably the most accurate reading of that statement.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")