NAD...Sort of!

guildman63

Reaction score
Today I received the cabinet and 12" speaker I had ordered from Mojotone for the purpose of upgrading my Fender Pro Junior III amp. Without further ado, here she is...

The process of putting everything together did not go without difficulties. The speaker went in easy as expected. Upon taking the chassis out of the original cab and placing it on the table to attach the back panel to it I noticed that my math was not adding up. The chassis attached to the original cabinet via 6 screws on the back panel, 2 on the sides, and 2 on the top. However... there were only 3 holes drilled into the back panel (one of the two necessary rows), and there were NONE in the top! The two on the sides were not expected as the new cabinet is for a 12" speaker rather than a 10" speaker, and is therefore much wider.

I contacted Mojotone to let them know of the problem, and after telling me that pre-drilled holes are optional (yet 3 were pre-drilled?) a return shipping label was emailed to me, and the person I spoke with stated that once the cabinet was received by Mojotone they would go ahead and make the corrections then send it back. Rather than waste time shipping it back, having them do the work, and then having them ship it back to me, which would probably take at least another two weeks, I decided to try my hand at drilling the remaining holes myself. This was somewhat of a pain in my arse, but fornunately, I got the remaining holes drilled properly, and the chassis safely installed.

Tone? Much better! Clear and crisp highs, and nice tight lows. The only very minor issue is a bit of tube rattle which I should be able to resolve very easily.

Overall, it is a huge improvement over an already very good amp.

Notice the baby changing table I have my amp on, with other music related items tucked away neatly below. When my son no longer needed that table i realized how perfect it would be for an amp and gear, and it is!

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Since posting these pictures I realized that I could probably pull the Fender Pro Junior badge off of the front of the old cab and attach it to the new cab, and I did! I will post a picture of that as I am able. I tried to get the specs badge off of the back panel, but it appears to be like paper, and may not come off cleanly enough.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Excellent! I love those Pro Junior amps, probably my favorite Fender amp they currently build. Recorded with those a bunch, shame they have the reputation of not travelling very well. They sound killer with most guitars.

That's gotta sound better in a larger, solid pine cab.

guildman63

Reaction score
The finishing touches have been applied!

Name plate added to the front

Protective grille added to the back panel to protect the tubes

Walter, fortunately, the need to lug this amp around is minimal for me, so I'm expecting it to hold up very well. Yes, it really does sound much better, and it looks much better in seafoam green as well!

griehund

Reaction score
Been thinking about having Mojo build me a real bassman cab for my clone. How do you like that greyhound speaker?

guildman63

Reaction score
Been thinking about having Mojo build me a real bassman cab for my clone. How do you like that greyhound speaker?

It's certainly better than the original, but once it is broken in I will have a better sense. The bottom end with this speaker is tight and punchy, which I like. I am going to try a 12AY7 tube to clean it up and smooth it out even more, but as is with two 12AX7's it sounds very good.

Any ideas on how long it takes a new speaker to break in?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's certainly better than the original, but once it is broken in I will have a better sense. The bottom end with this speaker is tight and punchy, which I like. I am going to try a 12AY7 tube to clean it up and smooth it out even more, but as is with two 12AX7's it sounds very good.

Dunno. Why don't you kill two birds with one stone and point that speaker at a new acoustic guitar, have it playing something and see whether the speaker breaks in before or after the time when the guitar opens up?

griehund

Reaction score

I ran a five disc cd player through mine for about 24 hours at low volume. That was good enough for me.

guildman63

Reaction score
It's been one month since receiving my new cabinet and speaker, and the speaker has broken in nicely. The highs are so smooth, and the bass nice and tight. My decision to modify my Pro Junior was the best decision I could have made. Without any pedals it has a nice vintage Fender vibe to it. With the use of my neighbors Joyo American pedal I'm not sure I can tell the difference between this amp and a vintage Deluxe Reverb... and it weighs no more than 25 lbs! To anyone thinking of a similar mod, I highly recommend it!

By the way, v1 has a 12AY7 in it, which sounds great!