still clueless on Guild deep body names and specs

DCBirdMan

Reaction score
Was looking for my earlier post on similar topic-

When did Guildbuckers start?

Did they replace Franz or were they concurrent, sort of like Gibson P-90 and bucker models?

Was there a sharp cut single bucker Guild (their take on single p/u ES-175)

AND

how did neck widths @ nut compare w Gibson, who were just about always at 1 -11/16th (except for the absurd 1-9/16th era, of the last half of 1960s)

Thanks -- still evaluating Guild as a near-equal to Gibson. Maybe some models/eras are better. I did read that Guild brought some Epiphone workers and designers into their workforce in the 50s, prior to the Gibson acquisition of Epiphone.

Reaction score
DC, your best bet is to get a copy of Hans Moust's book on Guild Guitars. It will have most all the answers your looking for plus it's a great read.
Thanks john

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yep, get Hans Moust's book. It's great. As for "near equal to Gibson"....make that equal - especially if you're talking electric guitars. Mostly just different in character, single coil as well as humbucker models are brighter. But they're as well built, as playable, etc..
You're going to encounter more shrunken binding and headstock overlays on Guilds, that's about the only thing I can think of.

Synchro

Reaction score
The CE 100 Capri is a sharp cutaway guitar with two pickups, mini humbuckers, or as I like to call the, Li'l Buckers. The guitar looks quite similar to an ES-175 but, at least with Li'l Buckers, it has a so,we hat brighter sound. I'd definitely prefer one over a 175.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The CE 100 Capri is a sharp cutaway guitar with two pickups, mini humbuckers
They are in their current incarnation - there used to be a single pickup model too, the CE100. (the double pickup is CE100D) Franz pickups up until about 63, mini-buckers up until the late 60's, full-size humbuckers after that

guildman63

Reaction score
Was looking for my earlier post on similar topic-

When did Guildbuckers start?

Did they replace Franz or were they concurrent, sort of like Gibson P-90 and bucker models?

Mostly replaced, but nothing with Guild regarding specs was absolute.

Was there a sharp cut single bucker Guild (their take on single p/u ES-175)

There were a few. The CE-100 was Guilds answer to the ES-175. It started in 1956 with a single Franz pup, and in 1959 a dual pickup model was added. I owned a 1956 CE-100, and I have played vintage ES-175's as old as the early 60's. To me, my CE-100 was better playing and sounding than any ES-175 I have ever tried. As for other models with a Florentine cutaway and single pup, the T-100 (thinner version of the CE-100), and the Starfire I (SF II had two pups, and the SF III had a Bigsby). The Starfire was similar in thickness to the T-100 (T standing for Thin line). I don't know for sure if any of these were offered with a single bucker, but I have never cared much. For jazz and blues the single Franz pup is by far my favorite! Other single-coils were used by Guild over the years as well.

AND

how did neck widths @ nut compare w Gibson, who were just about always at 1 -11/16th (except for the absurd 1-9/16th era, of the last half of 1960s)

This you will have to get from someone else. My 1956 CE-100 had a fuller neck, and may have been 1 3/4, but I found it very easy to play, so I'm leaning toward 1 11/16. Beyond that I don't know about nut widths for the other models mentioned.

Thanks -- still evaluating Guild as a near-equal to Gibson. Maybe some models/eras are better. I did read that Guild brought some Epiphone workers and designers into their workforce in the 50s, prior to the Gibson acquisition of Epiphone.

Getting The Guild Guitar Book is highly recommended as it has tons of detailed information in it on all Guild guitars through 1977.

DCBirdMan

Reaction score
hey thanks...

For all the replies...I do have to get the book .

I pretty much learned what I needed to know!!

Mostly replaced, but nothing with Guild regarding specs was absolute.

There were a few. The CE-100 was Guilds answer to the ES-175. It started in 1956 with a single Franz pup, and in 1959 a dual pickup model was added. I owned a 1956 CE-100, and I have played vintage ES-175's as old as the early 60's. To me, my CE-100 was better playing and sounding than any ES-175 I have ever tried. As for other models with a Florentine cutaway and single pup, the T-100 (thinner version of the CE-100), and the Starfire I (SF II had two pups, and the SF III had a Bigsby). The Starfire was similar in thickness to the T-100 (T standing for Thin line). I don't know for sure if any of these were offered with a single bucker, but I have never cared much. For jazz and blues the single Franz pup is by far my favorite! Other single-coils were used by Guild over the years as well.

This you will have to get from someone else. My 1956 CE-100 had a fuller neck, and may have been 1 3/4, but I found it very easy to play, so I'm leaning toward 1 11/16. Beyond that I don't know about nut widths for the other models mentioned.

Getting The Guild Guitar Book is highly recommended as it has tons of detailed information in it on all Guild guitars through 1977.

cc_mac

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be very many examples of the single pick CE100 from the mini humbucker era (1963) forward until the CE100(D) went out of production sometime in the latter 1970s. Here an example stated to be from 1966 on Reverb

I rather like the concept and natural finish would be very cool and green even better.

te4yxlsjaxwenetmiysg.jpg

Synchro

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be very many examples of the single pick CE100 from the mini humbucker era (1963) forward until the CE100(D) went out of production sometime in the latter 1970s. Here an example stated to be from 1966 on Reverb

I rather like the concept and natural finish would be very cool and green even better.

te4yxlsjaxwenetmiysg.jpg

Unless a stone FOX walks into the restaurant where I am eating breakfast that will probably remain the prettiest thing I'll see all day, with the exception of my cat, which is the prettiest thing I see most days. :)