Telecaster with Guild pick up

TVeye

Reaction score
I bought one of the Chinese Squire telecasters about 2 years ago when they were giving them away.
I changed everything, including the neck, and now it does everything I need a Tele to do.
I believe, every Korean guitar is better than Fender's Chinese line. Think dollar store quality.

The MIM stuff is better than both, use that as your platform.

Harpymorgan

Reaction score
I was looking for a cheap guitar to take up and down the motorway as I'm playing in a band about 200 miles from home. (At our works head office, got together with a group of lads), and didn't want to risk the Bluesbird every week in the car.
I played all of the guitars at our local centre and the best playing one off the blocks was a Squire custom Tele with a single coil on the bridge and a humbucker on the neck.
A couple of hours in the shed with a fret level and polish, cut the nut right, found the wiring already in for a single coil tap so just added a switch and its brilliant.
You have to, say, that the source for all the hardware is gonna be the same wherever they make the guitar, the machinery for the woodwork is the same, the choice of woods is what it is, so as long as the neck is stable, , wherever they are made they are going to be similar. Does the chinese guy go into work saying, today I'll make a worse guitar than the mexicans?
My advice is to get in and play them, the good ones will come to the surface.

Reaction score
I didn't bring this up to dis the Chinese guitars. As we all know anyone anywhere with the skills and quality materials cam build a great guitar. I mentioned this because of the Guild pick up on a Fender Telecaster is a rather unique combination. I wonder if Fender kept the manufacture of the pick ups under them as I assume the NS Guild pick ups are made the same place as the Gretsch pick ups are made with the obvious exception of the TV Jones pick ups. It's interesting to see Fender still using the Guild pick ups unless they had a large quantity left over from the sale of Guild. I will have to see if Guitar Center has one of these hanging on the wall.
Thanks John