Guild A50→→→X50

NYWolf

Reaction score
Aight, you know, it does look like a reasonable thing to do. Not that I often follow the reason... But it's never too late to install the set in pup, so I'm gonna start with a floater. Any thoughts what would be a good choice for the laminate maple top? I don't wanna too bright, or too muddy, just balanced. To my ears the acoustic tone of the guitar is rather bright... So something like Bartolini or Benedetto? I 've heard KA pups are on a brighter side?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah, get the DeArmond pickup! Now that you can again, and they're cheaper than ever, why not? It seems very appropriate for a Guild!

Aristocrater

Reaction score
In my opinion, if you put a floating pick-up on it you've upgraded it. Screw a HB into the top you've dicked with it and made it a guitar I wouldn't consider purchasing.

NYWolf

Reaction score

bobouz

Reaction score
I've got an A-150b Savoy, identical to the one in the pic posted above.
The DeArmond has a very sweet & well balanced single-coil sound.

Would highly recommend it for your A-50.

Last edited:

NYWolf

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to a jazz jam session, and one of the guitarist had A50, only sunburst, and Dearmond 1000 was on it, the original one, not the reissue. He let me play a tune, and I actually like it! Very acoustic-like tone, and surprisingly, no hum! The only weird thing he always has to carry a special cable to connect it to an amp, apparently those pickups were made with different input type. For me it's a serious deal breaker, I tend to lose those things, especially after a few drinks...

Anyway, I will start with Bartolini mini humbucker, and under-the-pickguard controls. I've ordered both.

jcwu

Reaction score
The only weird thing he always has to carry a special cable to connect it to an amp, apparently those pickups were made with different input type. For me it's a serious deal breaker, I tend to lose those things, especially after a few drinks...

If you're adventurous with a soldering iron, you can always modify it to a standard jack! :)

matsickma

Reaction score
If you buy the reissue off of the Guild merchandise page you may not have an issue. You can install jack in the strap end pin.

NYWolf

Reaction score
Well, it's been done, the floater is installed, new pickguard... I was really hoping I'd love the sound. But so far I'm underwhelmed, it's kinda boomy, harsh, somehow not very well balanced. I know the pickup is great, it's just the sum of the parts. Compare to my X50 with Franz, it's just not as musical, especially when strumming chords.

The choices I have: keep it as it is now, in the case, just for only if I need a backup. Or see if I can go with my original plan and install the set in pickup (only if it's possible, no cutting into the bracing). Or sell it...

Aristocrater

Reaction score
If you decide to sell it, I could be interested in without the pick-up, but with the new pick guard. I missed out on a late 50's model last year that was in a LA pawn shop forever. Let me know.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Well, it's been done, the floater is installed, new pickguard... I was really hoping I'd love the sound. But so far I'm underwhelmed, it's kinda boomy, harsh, somehow not very well balanced. I know the pickup is great, it's just the sum of the parts. Compare to my X50 with Franz, it's just not as musical, especially when strumming chords.

Wolf... that is disappointing that your efforts with the floating humbucker and pickguard controls did not result in a satisfying tone, and a second option in your instrument selection. You certainly went the extra mile to try and preserve the integrity of the original guitar! At this point, I would say that whatever modifications you have to make to have a pleasing tone and a playable instrument... modify away. As someone in an earlier post said, it's not a hand-carved, tap-tuned D'Angelico.

I took a special interest in your project because for a long time I considered cutting a hole in my Gibson L-50 and installing a vintage DeArmond Dynasonic pickup that I have. I was going after a Charlie Christian type tone. I never followed thru with the project, mostly out of laziness and procrastination. Let us know how things progress and good luck!

Bill

Last edited:

NYWolf

Reaction score
Wolf... that is disappointing that your efforts with the floating humbucker and pickguard controls did not result in a satisfying tone, and a second option in your instrument selection. You certainly went the extra mile to try and preserve the integrity of the original guitar! At this point, I would say that whatever modifications you have to make to have a pleasing tone and a playable instrument... modify away. As someone in an earlier post said, it's not a hand-carved, tap-tuned D'Angelico.

I took a special interest in your project because for a long time I considered cutting a hole in my Gibson L-50 and installing a vintage DeArmond Dynasonic pickup that I have. I was going after a Charlie Christian type tone. I never followed thru with the project, mostly out of laziness and procrastination. Let us know how things progress and good luck!

Bill

Thanks Bill. I think a set-in humbucker would be the only option to get a satisfying sound out of this guitar at this point. I really don't dig the floater sound, no matter how I tried. Maybe I'm just not a fan of a floater tone period... Too bad, I spent quite a few already for this project... But I think it could be a great guitar with a set-in pickup. The x50 I have is the proof. I'm thinking a mini humbucker, but not sure which one would be the best choice to resemble the old Guild's mini tone.