just got back from Frankfurt Musik messe and....

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Could it be somewhere else besides the label?
Since no S/N was visible on the labels either I suspect there could be a new label on the inside neck heel block with the S/N and the MIC info instead of the previous stamp of that number. Just a possibility and a guess. We will only know once one had one in his hands in a shop.

EDIT September 2015: Confirmed. Second label inside on neck support block with Guild, Serial number and Made in China.

Ralf

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
would be cool if someone from Cordoba could just chime in about it, demystify the conundrum...

Neal

Reaction score
Wow. Just coming up to speed on the topic.

My position is pretty simple. If the new Chinese guitars are all that, they should be able to stand on their own considerable quality, and not on some smoke and mirrors approach that infers that they are something they aren't.

It is disingenious to market them as anything other than exactly what they are, which is an off-shore replica of a classic American guitar design.

Let a fully-informed buyer decide value.

Neal

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I suppose we'll all find out when the guitars get here in the stores. In the meantime, I can wait. This information isn't high on my list of "need to know" stuff..... :nonchalance:

I don't have a dog in the fight, Tom. I was just saying if they saw this thread at 14 pages long, might be a worthwhile opportunity for Córdoba to calm the seas.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't have a dog in the fight, Tom. I was just saying if they saw this thread at 14 pages long, might be a worthwhile opportunity for Córdoba to calm the seas.

Cordoba does read LTG. They can certainly chime in if they want to but there are several good reasons not to.

crank

Reaction score
In my opinion GAD is a name that immediately forces a prospective buyer to consider the fact that the guitar is not made in America. Westerly Collection sounds better and doesn't make you think, hmm American Design...that must mean it's not made here.

I also think that guitar buyers who know Guilds were built in Westerly will know that a new guitar in "the Westerly Collection" priced at half what a U.S. made Guild would cost will not be mislead.

And, all you LTGers, we are not the target market for Guild's offshore manufactured guitars.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And, all you LTGers, we are not the target market for Guild's offshore manufactured guitars.

Great point. We are most likely thinking of the brand overall, thru all its changes, and wanting its integrity intact.

jcwu

Reaction score
In my opinion GAD is a name that immediately forces a prospective buyer to consider the fact that the guitar is not made in America. Westerly Collection sounds better and doesn't make you thing, hmm American Design...that must mean it's not made here.

Just the names alone... GAD sounds cold and sterile, Westerly Collection sounds warm and inviting.

guildman63

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but it seems that too many are getting their knickers in a twist over what may or may not be. Cordoba and Guild have been working hard to get the new Guild factory in Oxnard up and running. It is also clear that the import line is receiving some attention as well. To date I have seen new Asian electrics begin to trickle in, but no new Asian acoustics. We in LTG may think we are the collective arbiter of all that is correct and acceptable in the transition of Guild from Fender to Cordoba, but I agree with crank that we as a group are not the target market for offshore Guilds. Regarding the presence or absence of "Made in China" on a guitar that has not even hit the market yet, there are legal minds handling every aspect of this transition, and I am confident that they understand international trade laws better than we do. As for "Westerly Collection", perhaps a better name could have been chosen. On the other hand, in the end we could be making a big fuss over nothing. Does anyone really think there will be confusion over Westerly made guitars that specify Westerly, RI, USA on the label versus those that say Westerly Collection? I'm not pointing anyone out specifically, but let's all step back, relax, and play our great Guild guitars while we wait to see what Guild and Cordoba will do.

Sorry to all for the rant. I'm just not one to make accusations before all of the facts are in, or in this case before the guitars even hit the stores. I will npw get some sleep, and will certainly feel better in the morning.

dreamics

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but it seems that too many are getting their knickers in a twist over what may or may not be.

I personnally enjoyed following this discussion, for the fun of it, but we'll have to wait and see. And what will come out of Oxnard, CA is what I am the most looking forward to (this last sentence seems awkward, is it right??). By the way, I like the expression "to get one's knickers in a twist". Thank you guys for enriching my English!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just for the record, I don't wear knickers, so they've never been in a twist...

I like Joe's comment about "mojo". An easy way to solve the confusion would be to rename the orginal Westerly guitars to "The Mojo Collection". Then there would be no confusion regarding the new "Westerly Collection". :proud:

walrus

guildman63

Reaction score

I like Joe's comment about "mojo". An easy way to solve the confusion would be to rename the orginal Westerly guitars to "The Mojo Collection". Then there would be no confusion regarding the new "Westerly Collection". :proud:

walrus

Knickers in MA would look kind of funny, but probably no funnier than how some of the people dress already. As an example, I'm in Ryles Jazz Club last weekend waiting to play, and my 10 year old son is with me. He says, "Dad, there is something strange in here". I knew what he was referring to, so I said we would talk later. What confused him was a person sitting at the next table. Long, flowing blonde hair, nice blue nails, nicely excessorized, and with a very well trimmed beard! :highly_amused::unsure: The confusion to me was why, if this guy was interested in becoming a woman, would he keep the beard? I was confused, so I can't imagine how confused my son was. Good ol' Cambridge!

griehund

Reaction score
Knickers in MA would look kind of funny, but probably no funnier than how some of the people dress already. As an example, I'm in Ryles Jazz Club last weekend waiting to play, and my 10 year old son is with me. He says, "Dad, there is something strange in here". I knew what he was referring to, so I said we would talk later. What confused him was a person sitting at the next table. Long, flowing blonde hair, nice blue nails, nicely excessorized, and with a very well trimmed beard! :highly_amused::unsure: The confusion to me was why, if this guy was interested in becoming a woman, would he keep the beard? I was confused, so I can't imagine how confused my son was. Good ol' Cambridge!

Love that dirty water. :laughing:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
In my opinion GAD is a name that immediately forces a prospective buyer to consider the fact that the guitar is not made in America. Westerly Collection sounds better and doesn't make you think, hmm American Design...that must mean it's not made here.

I also think that guitar buyers who know Guilds were built in Westerly will know that a new guitar in "the Westerly Collection" priced at half what a U.S. made Guild would cost will not be mislead.

I thought GAD was Guild Acoustic Design not Guild American design. Your core point still holds in that a brand manager has to walk a fine line between expanding the brand and diluting it. Finding a name that links the flagship lines and the budget lines is an art, not a science. GAD may have separated them too much. The objections to "The Westerly Collection" seem to be that they are not separated enough.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

walrus

I understand that Cordoba is reserving "The Mojo Collection" for their line of relic'd instruments.