A day late but not forgotten.....

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He had the best scene of the movie...IMHO. I have watched that movie more times than I want to admit, it was a great movie that no one really knows about.

CA-35

Reaction score
He had the best scene of the movie...IMHO. I have watched that movie more times than I want to admit, it was a great movie that no one really knows about.

You're right Westerly it was good movie. Though I don't understand the significance of the hand slap after he hands him the book. For lying about the coffee? Anybody?

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I always enjoyed the music of The Band, and later the solo albums that Levon Helm made.I was lucky enough to see them in concert a couple of times. His voice had a wonderful feeling of "longing and heartache". He had THE most authentic singing voice in American Roots Music! I also enjoyed the role he played in the movie "The Right Stuff"... a test pilot and sidekick to Chuck Yeager (Sam Shepard). Thanks for posting the videos.

Note: I think that Amy Helm is playing the mandolin in the "Dirt Farmer" video. It is fitting because her Dad also played the mandolin. The woman on guitar is Teresa Williams, who often played with Levon Helm and Friends.

Bill

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You're right Westerly it was good movie. Though I don't understand the significance of the hand slap after he hands him the book. For lying about the coffee? Anybody?

He wanted to let him know that he saw the disgust Nick had towards his wife's coffee.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Big Levon fan and was at his last performance ever at his midnight ramble at the barn in Woodstock with Los lobos which was also my 35th birthday. He was glowing that night.

They still have a ton of shows at the barn in Woodstock, including Larry and Theresa, Amy Helm, All the other regular midnight ramblers and all the bands that played there with Levon, still play there.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Though I could google it, it would be more fun if someone on the LTG knows why/how Levon got the drum gig for that band, when he really can play all the other instruments as a front man.

CA-35

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the videos.
Note: I think that Amy Helm is playing the mandolin in the "Dirt Farmer" video. It is fitting because her Dad also played the mandolin. The woman on guitar is Teresa Williams, who often played with Levon Helm and Friends.
Bill

Bill you have a sharper eye than I, and I stand corrected thank-you.

CA-35

Reaction score
I think he did his best work in the last years of his life. RIP Levon.

Bill here is Levon on the Mandolin and Amy on the drums at 17:50

Last edited: