Reaction score
rjuaUb.jpg

Phil was probably like "imagine we had real jobs bwahahaha "

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Phil was probably like "imagine we had real jobs bwahahaha "

Easy for them to say. They still have hair.

Since I didn't see this on FB yet, what was the occasion? Perhaps the JC Sig bass that Phil has been seen with was presented personally? :)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Easy for them to say. They still have hair.

Since I didn't see this on FB yet, what was the occasion? Perhaps the JC Sig bass that Phil has been seen with was presented personally? :)

Frono, if you're not a member of the Hot Tuna - Jorma Kaukonen fan page, perhaps you should join. It's quite active, and lots of great info is shared. that's where I saw this photo. It was taken at a California Club called Terrapin Crossroads according to photographer Jay Blakesberg's page. Apparently Phil Lesh is recreating Grateful Dead shows year by year, and the 27th was 1973

"Last nite Phil Lesh and friends celebrated 1973 at in their ongoing series of year by year GD shows.
Great band Rob Eaton and Stu Allen holding down the Weir/Garcia slots.
Dropping in for a special guest appearance pre-show for our onstage History Lesson was non other than Jack Casady who had some great stories about hanging with the Dead and Hendrix at The Fillmore and some early Hot Tuna wisdom...
1974 tonite! I will be talking about the Wall of Sound w
ith Phil!"

Here's another shot from that night

10257911_959964150703434_3967316231077232182_o.jpg

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Great shot of two legendary Bass players. The photographer caught both men in a relaxed and candid moment. I remember seeing both of these guys with their bands back in the early 70's. Thanks for posting.

Bill

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok enough fun and games from these two. Time to get serious with Big Brown!

May 4, 2015

ny4ENv.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ok, someone explain the extra "knobs" on Lesh's bass in this last photo, please!

walrus

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, someone explain the extra "knobs" on Lesh's bass in this last photo, please!

walrus

Short answer - it was heavily modified by the individuals who eventually teamed up to form Alembic. Whatever I say about the specifics will almost certainly be wrong but I think most of the onboard electronics and controls would now be classified as filters.

Long answer - Use a search engine. There are people who obsess about Lesh's instruments and post detailed descriptions. I'm just not one of them. The history of Alembic will also mention some details.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Posted by Jay Blakesberg:

Last Night at Terrapin Crossroads Phil Lesh brought along "Big Brown" and gave the audience a nice history/tech lesson on his famous Bass Guitar. Phil started playing this modified Guild Bass in 1971, and played it consistently thru 1978. Nice piece of Grateful Deadhistory!

eCsvif.jpg

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Apparently Phil really put the modded Starfire bass through its paces last night, doing a full demo and such. "Like" Jay Blakesberg Photography on Facebook for a bunch of pictures and comments. We are obviously hoping a video surfaces (but keep in mind in any case there are thousands of hours of high quality grateful dead recordings available, featuring the bass)

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ahem. Well, technically, the bass was modified by Alembic, but a couple years before they became known, if known is the word for the first few years, for building basses and guitars. I think the history goes: Jack's brown Guild (which wasn't originally brown); then they became kind of formally Alembic and did my fretless; then it must have been Phil's EBO (because he used that for a couple years while they worked oh-so-fast on his Starfire); and then Jack's 2nd Guild which just got a quick electronic mod. And then they built a bass for Jack, and again took their time with a bass for Phil. And ran a recording studio and the PA, too.

Reaction score
Then there's this. Behold "The Supreme Being" bass.
It's a Guild so it's alright.... featuring a pair of Rick Turner's lo-z trapezoid single coil pickups wrapped up neatly in their anti-hum foil Faraday cages. Beautiful, may it do ya fine.

1802.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Neal- Mgod owns a Guild M-85 bass with F holes and custom inlays that was *given to him by Phil Lesh.*

the rest of us are merely "deadheads."

and BTW the recent concert at Terrapin Crossroads (TXR) featuring the subject bass is up on YouTube. The bass is featured at 8:58. must see!!

from Jay Blakesberg: "Old and New!! Alembic!"

ScTiwj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SXIwZR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

X17IUY.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

QUf3Gx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Then there's this. Behold "The Supreme Being" bass.
It's a Guild so it's alright.... featuring a pair of Rick Turner's lo-z trapezoid single coil pickups wrapped up neatly in their anti-hum foil Faraday cages. Beautiful, may it do ya fine.

1802.jpg

Thanks and welcome.

Check your private messages :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome fhammon! Beautiful Starfire bass. Top looks flamey. Nice custom work!

Last edited: