Introducing the Guild Westerly Collection

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Big C told me it's the same manufacturer about a month ago or so when I inquired but I've been told wrong before :(
So in the absence of better intel we have to continue assuming the Westerly Collection is made at Grand Reward Education & Entertainment in Hui Yang city, if that was the GAD factory (which we also got never confirmed, other than they supply Fender).
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So in the absence of better intel we have to continue assuming the Westerly Collection is made at Grand Reward Education & Entertainment in Hui Yang city, if that was the GAD factory (which we also got never confirmed, other than they supply Fender).
Ralf
Isn't it about time for you to take another trip to China?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
SFIV1967 China I ride Errr fly with ya how much ? LOL

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They must have gas masks available ....

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Isn't it about time for you to take another trip to China?
Unfortunately at the moment I have no customers in China anymore, so no trip there in the near future.

If you ask nice he might show us some pics of the last visit again. "Smog at Sunset" was particularly memorable.
They must have gas masks available ....
Here are those pictures from one of my previous trips: www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?180086-Beijing-instrument-stores-a-visit-report

Ralf

Reaction score
No, guild-1979-d40 didn't look on the neckblock yet I believe, he only saw the cross strut brace where the hole for the truss rod is and said there is no label on it. So I still believe it is on the neck block as well.
Ralf

The neckblock is hidden by the battery pack, so I can't see if the serial number is there. When I change the strings, I will be able to look behind the battery pack. Expect this to take about 3 years.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The neckblock is hidden by the battery pack, so I can't see if the serial number is there. When I change the strings, I will be able to look behind the battery pack. Expect this to take about 3 years.
Ha, ha! You are right, and I think we already got the answers that we were looking for. Thanks anyway for all the info you gave us.
Ralf

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great pics Ralf and cool instruments would to get hands on some of them . China just had some big boom booms . 😞

Reaction score
The Chinese model, together with the 7K model referenced above, will only increase the value of vintage Guilds that were actually made in westerly (and the other locations). Have to agree though "westerly collection made in China" is a bad idea. Not sure who the target market it. May flop over here but could be successful in China possibly?

I'm the kind of person who is interested in the new Westerly Collection. I've never owned a Guild before, but I am aware they've been sold numerous times and have moved manufacturing quite a number of times. The main reason I'm interested is the Jumbo F150CE. Roughly $1K for a spruce/rosewood jumbo guitar with graphtech nut and bridge.

I've owned a lot of guitars over the years, and I know how people are attached to certain brands, and respect the opinions, but it comes down to price and what's available in the market.

I ordered a GAD, but it had a defect in the neck, so I'm waiting for the new guitar as AMS has it available, along with a discount for having gone through the problem and of course this Westerly Collection is less expensive than the GAD for the same guitar. The only difference as far as I can tell, is the inlays on the neck are dots instead of rectangles, and the pickguard is red instead of black, which I prefer anyway.

I recently gave my Gibson Songwriter Deluxe to my daughter for graduating college, and wanted her to have it before she, my son-in-law and grandkids moved out of state. I'm not in a position to spend another $3K on a guitar, so here we are.

Best,
Rick

merlin6666

Reaction score
FWIW - there is a long thread at the AGF regarding types of Mahogany used in Martin guitars and proper labeling as such. When I checked the Guild site it looks like their new Westerly Series uses "African Mahogany" (Khaya) as did most of their previous GAD models, though some of those (D125, F130) may still be genuine! So at least for Guild MIC still a step up from Sipo/Sapele used by Martin and some other brands.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
FWIW - there is a long thread at the AGF regarding types of Mahogany used in Martin guitars and proper labeling as such. When I checked the Guild site it looks like their new Westerly Series uses "African Mahogany" (Khaya) as did most of their previous GAD models, though some of those (D125, F130) may still be genuine! So at least for Guild MIC still a step up from Sipo/Sapele used by Martin and some other brands.
Thank you for the research! Sometimes we kinda forget to go check the logical source.

Neal

Reaction score
Grand Reward Education and Entertainment? Wow, it doesn't sound like there is any work involved at all in China's Guild factory.

Neal

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Grand Reward Education and Entertainment? Wow, it doesn't sound like there is any work involved at all in China's Guild factory.
Yes, the name is funny as many Chinese companies English names are. Again, I don't have any official confirmation that GREE was the GAD factory but it was mentioned in multiple forums in the past. FMIC does and did import from them but I also think some Squier guitars are made there. Trade data as recent as March 2015 show that GREE sends to FMIC electric guitars, electric basses and acoustic guitars (and those are FMIC brands). Here's some info from 2008 about what GREE is:

"Grand Reward Education & Entertainment (GREE) was established in October 1995, and is one of the foremost quality stringed instrument manufacturers in the world. Mr. C. W. Tsai, the owner and C.E.O. of GREE, has over 40 years experience in the professional guitar business. Frank Tsai, the general manager of GREE, has helped countless customers, developing more than a thousand guitar models over the course of the past 12 years. With this combination of many years experience and great passion for guitar manufacturing, GREE serves more than ten OEM customers who are listed in the top 225 of musical instrument manufacturers, as well as promoting its own brand name: Farida.
GREE is very proud of its outstanding acoustic guitars, especially the handcrafting and sound quality. “We are currently building the best value products for marketing throughout the world”, said C. W. Tsai, “thanks to our excellent Chinese workforce, production processes (including the technology to dry different kinds of wood), as well as great hand craftsmanship, and the details we put into the products”.
Another feature of GREE is our fully computerized R&D department, which is able to develop new models efficiently, and help our customers keep up with rapid changes in marketing trends. On average, GREE creates more than 150 models a year, including many award winning instruments. The Farida D-52 NS won the "Total Guitar" magazine 5 stars award in April of 2007. The D-62 AN was awarded "5 Star Guitarist Choice" on "Guitarist" magazine in January of 2007, and M-2 NS was awarded "Guitarist Choice" on the same magazine in November 2007. And this year the Farida J-66 N has been awarded "5 Star Best Buy" in the October issue of Total Guitar magazine.
“We can not slow down,” says Tsai. “There is still a long way to go, but our friends and customers encourage us to keep working and learning together. Making instruments is a lifetime career. Our family and I will be with you all the time.”
"

According to public trade data GREE buys guitar tops and bracings from Acoustic Woods in Canada.

Ralf

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hmm Farida guitars look nice . No dealers here that I see .

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah Ray I looked for those too and couldn't find them. Intriguing.. I imagine that they are lot like the Guild GADS. Also I have never been able to find pictures of the GREE facility..