Thunder 1 RVT project, half power from rectifier tube

Danohss

Reaction score
Working on a Thunder 1 RVT, only getting 180 volts out of the rectifier tube, it's a brand new JJ. Any ideas? Line voltage going in is 120 to 130, did a downstream cap job but none of that work should effect the rectifier output voltage. Dropped the old Guild r drifter tube on the concrete, no way to put the old one back in now to check it. Can't imagine a brand new JJ would be the problem anyhow. Someone before me has replaced the 47 ifs electrolytic that connects to pin 3, looks fine, grounds all check out good. Hum pot has no effect on volts out. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Working on a Thunder 1 RVT, only getting 180 volts out of the rectifier tube, it's a brand new JJ. Any ideas? Line voltage going in is 120 to 130, did a downstream cap job but none of that work should effect the rectifier output voltage. Dropped the old Guild r drifter tube on the concrete, no way to put the old one back in now to check it. Can't imagine a brand new JJ would be the problem anyhow. Someone before me has replaced the 47 ifs electrolytic that connects to pin 3, looks fine, grounds all check out good. Hum pot has no effect on volts out. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Check ac voltage on pins 1 and 7, then dc voltage on pin 3. you should be getting about 350-360 DCV according to the schematic.
Might be a bad recto, even if it's new. Might be a dead winding on the pt.

Danohss

Reaction score
I have 350 volts AC coming out of the transformer to the rectifier, and heater volts are 3.6 VAC.

Danohss

Reaction score
Any chance that 47 ufd cap ( schematic shows a 50 ufd) could be the culprit? looks to be very new, doesn't show any dc volts leaking through.

Danohss

Reaction score
Nope, it's 3.3 volts on the heaters, probably the root of the problem but I can't figure out why the heaters are low.

Danohss

Reaction score
Put this amp away for awhile, now it's back on the bench and I'm still scratching my head. Wondering if the hum balance pot could be bad, keeping heater volts low, halving the output of the tube?

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wish I had a schematic to follow along with this conversation. I had some years of electronic classes in college, but have been in IT ever since.