Starfire IV Newark Strap button screw . New member

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the thread he started in the solid/chambered section, he said he emailed them, with no response yet. (We've seen a number of posts about their slow email response rate.)

Yeah, I missed that.

Guild can absolutely take weeks to respond.

FWIW OP, if it were me, I'd go buy a set of strap-locks and put those on instead. They come with their own screws that are marginally larger.

guildman63

Reaction score
FWIW OP, if it were me, I'd go buy a set of strap-locks and put those on instead. They come with their own screws that are marginally larger.

+1.

Besides, it is generally recommended when you replace the screw for a strap button, whether by choice or by necessity, that the new screw be slightly larger to insure a secure fit.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
@Casset: I am not sure which hardware stores you might have in Spain. By the way #5 is a bit unusual for those kind of screws, #4 and #6 are pretty common.

I guess you need that type of screws, just in #5 1-1/4" ? Or is it a different head?

SchallerStraplockinstallonLesPaul1.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

Casset

Reaction score
@Casset: I am not sure which hardware stores you might have in Spain. By the way #5 is a bit unusual for those kind of screws, #4 and #6 are pretty common.

I guess you need that type of screws, just in #5 1-1/4" ? Or is it a different head?

SchallerStraplockinstallonLesPaul1.jpg

Ralf
Hi Ralf,

I agree with you that #5 are no common but is the size of these screws... The head is the same one of your photo, where did you find them?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...The head is the same one of your photo, where did you find them?
I bought a couple of such screws for strap locks in various sizes at Home Depot in the US last year.
But they only had #4, #6, #8,...in various length.
In Spain I guess you have chains like Leroy Merlin, Bricor, Brico Depot, Aki, Bricoking, Bricomart, Bauhaus,...some of them could potentially have such screws I would think.
So what is the problem of using a #6 screw? Is the head too large in diameter to fit in the strap button?

By the way, here is one such discussion in another forum, that's also where the above picture was from: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/lut...lling-schaller-straplocks-les-pauls-pics.html

Ralf

Last edited:

Casset

Reaction score
Hi again,

I have found some screws the same thread and diameter but wood ones which are quite similar to the original but they are not fully threaded. 5x1-1/4 and 5x1-1/2, the longer one have a slightly larger head but fits and seems right to me. I'll go for the long one... I think the original ones are too short and prone to ruin the holes with this size...

I think it will not require to make a deeper hole as the difference is only 1/4 of an inch... am I right???

Last edited:

Casset

Reaction score
Hi again,

I have found some screws the same thread and diameter but wood ones which are quite similar to the original but they are not fully threaded. 5x1-1/4 and 5x1-1/2, the longer one have a slightly larger head but fits and seems right to me. I'll go for the long one... I think the original ones are too short and prone to ruin the holes with this size...

I think it will not require to make a deeper hole as the difference is only 1/4 of an inch... am I right???

Finally I have decided to install stainless steel #6x1-1/2 screws, like PRS screws, I had to enlarge a bit the hole on the strap button to fit the new screw size and carefully install the #6 screw on the existing #5 screw hole, went in tight but nice with a bit of bees wax. Also I driiled a bit deeper with a drill bit. They will be secure now... I thing that the #5 screws are a bit weak... I did a test with the old screw on a piece of soft wood and i could bent it with one finger...

Last edited: