NGD Last New Orpheum Jumbo from Street Sounds

Neal

Reaction score
Oh, Woody. You KNOW that's an unfair question! Which of your daughters would you keep? :laughing:

Bumper, the amount of jumbo top acreage you have there could pave a parking lot. Congratulations!

Having become an Orpheum convert myself, I find it hard to put into words what they have going on, but it is different fom the classic Guild tone, yet very similar. in a lot of respects. Same bright, forward tone, same chimy quality to the sustain. The biggest difference is in the responsiveness and headroom of those lightly-braced Adi tops, I think. You can aboslutely thrash an Orpheum, and in return, it seems to be saying to you "Is that all you got?" Or you can take it way down the other way to a whisper, barely audible, and get incredible tone as well with the slightest pluck of a string.

The only guitar I own that will go toe-to-toe with the Orpheums is my F-47R, another Adi-topped New Hartford instrument. It has the same headroom, but is a lot harder to get it to whisper. I like the F-50 a lot as well, but maple is a totally different beast, suited to a completely different style.

Neal

'71 F-20
'71 D-25
'73 D-35
'74 G-37
'81 D-212
'99 X-150
'12 F-50 Std
'13 F-47R
'13 Orpheum 12-fret Dread
'14 Orpheum 12-fret 000 RW

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
George, if you could only keep one, which and why?

Wow, That is a tough one Wood. Honestly I don't think I can choose. You know what it is like when you find a keeper guitar that just has that "IT" thing to it? Doesn't matter what it costs or what guitars you put it up against, in the end it just speaks to you? I have five six strings like that. They all speak to me. They are all unique in tone or woods used or who made them or how they were made, but in the end I connect with each and everyone of them the same way. They bring something inside of me out when I am playing them. It helps me when I'm writing. I am so very blessed to be able to own and play the ones that I have. I couldn't choose. I love them all.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jurgen and Neal, I must say Neal that I am impressed more and more every day with the range that the Orpheum Jumbo has. Especially with the Martin Monel Bluegrass Strings on it. You can go from a whisper to a roar in no time flat. I still love playing my other Guilds but I find myself just grabbing this one and noodling a lot of finger picking all the time. I could be watching TV or talking on the phone or having a conversation here at the house and I have it my hands just noodling. Almost like it's on autopilot! LOL My Blue Baby Bottle and Blue Hummingbird Mics should be here early next week as well as my new Bluetube V2 Mic pre amp. Can't wait to get some good recording of this Girl!

Jurgen you are completely correct! I can't play something I can't connect to, let alone write something I can't connect to. Music is different for everyone but for me it has to come from the soul. I believe each one of my guitars has a soul as well. It's my job to help them tell their story.:rugby:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, congrats on your Orpheum Jumbo. I picked one up a while back as well and it is really superb. I'm an average or more likely a below average player and can't really do it justice but I still love it. Kinda like an ugly guy hookin' up with a beautiful female type. I just consider myself blessed. Have fun with it my man.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine Richard!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
George, thanks for that sound clip. Beautiful playing and perfect to have with my coffee and waking up. A GREAT way to start the day!! That's an amazing sounding guitar! :encouragement:

polapark

Reaction score
Hi,

the orpheum jumbo sounds big and wamr without beeing muddy in any way - love this.

Jürgen

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wood and Jürgen! That recording was done with a very light finger pick. She has soo much headroom it is ridiculous. I would say that the recording was done at about half of the full volume of this guitar acoustically. While it maintains clarity in high output situations, The subtle overtones and nuances at the lightly plucked level are incredible. It is a Very Touch Sensitive guitar, Doesn't take much to get her going.:dog: