Memorial Day...not always cheeseburgers

CA-35

Reaction score
This is a compelling narrative by Retired Staff Sgt. Luke Murphy. "What veterans really think about on Memorial Day"

Here is a link to the article: http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/22/opinions/murphy-veterans-thoughts-about-memorial-day/

150519071703-luke-murphy-iraq-veteran-cemetery-exlarge-169.jpg

Retired Army Staff Sgt. Luke Murphy served two tours with the 101st Airborne Division's 187th Infantry Regiment. He was catastrophically wounded in 2006, when a roadside bomb blast resulted in the amputation of his right leg. He is the author of "Blasted by Adversity: the Making of a Wounded Warrior." Find him at LukeMurphy101.com.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Remembering History:
Memorial Day was started by former slaves on May, 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC to honor 257 dead Union Soldiers who had been buried in a mass grave in a Confederate prison camp. They dug up the bodies and worked for 2 weeks to give them a proper burial as gratitude for fighting for their freedom. They then held a parade of 10,000 people led by 2,800 Black children where they marched, sang and celebrated.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I don't think about Nam much anymore. I no longer go to ceremonies. I don't know why. I think I may have become too cynical. But America's heroes, past and present, are in my heart everyday; not just one week-end in May. There's something about Memorializing the fallen that just doesn't sit well with me when the killing never ends.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Would it be alright to at least say, " Thanks for the commitment and sacrifice. " ?

I've never really known exactly how to react on Memorial Day. Celebrate or be somber ? My father-in-law started in the Army Air Corp in 1944 and got out ( of the Air Force by then ) in about 1972. So, he was active in three wars. He was a flight engineer and aircraft mechanic, so I don't think he was directly shot at. But, I could be wrong. He never told me any stories about friends lost in combat.