'69 Custom F-512 Restoration

jcwu

Reaction score
parts1_zpsdft5yyai.jpg

Is that missing kerfing on the right side there?

Great thread, and thanks for sharing!!

Fixit

Reaction score
Yes, some of the kerfing was damaged from the binding removal and some remained stuck to the binding. So the damaged kerfing was removed and will replaced prior to the back being replaced.

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For scraping the neck, do you use scrapers radiused to accommodate Guild necks? I use razor blade scrapers on flat surfaces, but of course you can't use them on rounded surfaces. (Or, I can't anyway!)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, the guitar has been completely taken apart, at this point. Here's some parts:

parts1_zpsdft5yyai.jpg

Very cool Tom. Another interesting thing about this picture is how much darker the binding appears under the yellowed nitrocellulose lacquer. When I was talking in another thread about how the new emerald green Starfires aren't really the right color, the yellowing of the NCL over time explains a lot of the disparity. And this F512 is about the same age as Greenie.

tommym

Reaction score
Does one have to worry about the pickguard shrinking and or warping a bit once the pickguard has been removed from the top after all these years?

Tommy

Fixit

Reaction score
For scraping the neck, do you use scrapers radiused to accommodate Guild necks? I use razor blade scrapers on flat surfaces, but of course you can't use them on rounded surfaces. (Or, I can't anyway!)

I do have radius scrapers, however the real key is a very sharp edge and draw the edge toward you with the grain. Never push the scraper where it can dig into the wood and let the sharp edge do the work with light pressure. Not to mention lots of attention not to take any more than the finish.

Fixit

Reaction score
Very cool Tom. Another interesting thing about this picture is how much darker the binding appears under the yellowed nitrocellulose lacquer. When I was talking in another thread about how the new emerald green Starfires aren't really the right color, the yellowing of the NCL over time explains a lot of the disparity. And this F512 is about the same age as Greenie.

True enough Sandy! That is why it is so difficult to touch up vintage guitars and get a good color match.

Fixit

Reaction score
Does one have to worry about the pickguard shrinking and or warping a bit once the pickguard has been removed from the top after all these years?

Tommy

Tommy,

usually if the pickguard is not warping already, it will remain flat. Once one is curling up though it is almost impossible to get it to lay flat again and stay that way. That is especially true if you are going lacquer over it. As the lacquer dries and shrinks it usually helps the guard to curl again. I almost always have to replace them if that is the case. None the less I also don't take chances and will store them while waiting to go back on the guitar under something heavy and flat just to be sure.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
True enough Sandy! That is why it is so difficult to touch up vintage guitars and get a good color match.

Says the man who can touch up vintage guitars better than anyone I've ever known. :encouragement:

70man

Reaction score
My first look at the progress,I should look around more......................looking great Tom and Dave.Thank You really enjoying the posting, thank you for the email notification.
Stu

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Shop has been busy and we're catching up from NAMM. But, here's a bit of an update:

P1020021_zps4c03y0zz.jpg

Nice, new, hand-crafted bridge in Brazilian rosewood. The old one is there for comparison.

P1020064_zps1uiwgqoj.jpg

Here's the neck, refinished.

And the headstock. Looking good!

P1020066_zpsdupwff6s.jpg

Things are moving along nicely.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
WOW, That is coming along nicely. Great work Tom and Dave! Stu you are one lucky man! Just beautiful!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Part I and part II joined into one thread. Image restriction is per-post, not per-thread (I think). Tom, Dave, let me know if you have any trouble adding to this thread.

p.s./ progress looks awesome, guys!

Last edited: