Triple O/ orchestra shoot out if

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
you can offer some information about them .

Besides my maple interest I'm back on another interest of the orchestra body guitars .

I've had the Gad f130rce it sounded good but as I wrote in another post this one lost tonal clarity the higher up the neck I went so I returned it .

What I'm asking is what's your experience with this body style and if you have any experience with comparing there tones

I've been trying to compare the Guild F47r to the Blueridge
BR183A and the Taylor 918E all I really have is audio and sound reviews from YouTube .

The Blueridge sounded good much like my 180a
The guild from the few vids also sounds good but one review from acoustic mag said that it lacked clear highs but thought is was possible
That it could regain the highs over time . But other wise a good review

The Taylor , I only heard/seen one vid it did have nice highs but over all . I was only impressed by the build it was nice but I did not like it's low midrange sound that much
But vids are not the best way to go lol

Now I know I can go to a store and compare but many don't the models
In stock so I ask of you your experiences and possibly your first hand comparisons

Thanks
Ray

Neal

Reaction score
Sure Rayk.

I own an F-47R, an F-30 (mahogany)and an Orpheum 000 RW, all from New Hartford. Love the size and shape of these guitars.

The F-47R is Grand Orchestra sized, while the F-30 is Orchestra. The F-47 is deeper by about a half inch than the other two, which give it dreadnought-like bass and volume. It is the loudest guitar I own.

The F-47R and the Orpheum 000 are both rosewood, with Adirondack tops. You would think there would be quite a bit of similarity in tone, but thy are considerably different. The F-47R is more aggressive, a great strummer and flatpicker. The OOO is has a much more delicate tone, very responsive, perfect for fingerstyle. Both are very resonant and "chimy", holding onto a note for a long,long time.

The F-30, is a bit smaller, a bit "sweeter" in its tone, with a bit more decay and individual note definition. Very warm sounding, good all-rounder, perfect for singer-songwriter accompanyment and playing on the couch. There are three basic New Hartford versions: F-30 Aragon (Adirondack top) and F-30 Standard (sitka top) and F-30R Standard (sitka top and rosewood back and sides).

Before Tacoma, all F-30's were made with sitka tops.

I am just flat out in love with my F-30 Standard, which has a bit wider nut (1 3/4). The F-30 Aragon and F-47R have the traditional 1 11/16 nut. The Orpheum 000 has a really wide nut (1.8).

Neal

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, IMHO it's really hard to go wrong with the Blueridge BR 143, the BR 163 or the BR 183 (I had the A tops on all of mine). I sold all the 000's off because I'm just more of a Dread/Jumbo kinda guy. But, for the price there's a lot of tone and a lot to like with the Blueridge gear.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I was getting worried this thread was dead lol .

So thanks for giving it some life .

have either of you guys had the opertunity to compare Guild or other brands together like Guild to Blueridge or Tayor to Guild or any other brand ?

What's funny and that's irony for ya but I hear some vids that
Make a model sound good and others not so much lol

For some reason even there well liked and reviewed I have not really heard a Taylor
That works for me yet.

I was checking out Eastmans they get high marks in all areas but again now really called
to me .

Of coarse I'm in a place were it seems be hard to find anything in store to try out and compare.

On another note about Blueridge pulled from reading the net so it must be true but
There were comments about the longevity of Blueridge or imports guitars .

Man I hope my Br don't fall apart lol .

I tending to these body sizes to offset my dread .
So Neil how do feel about the f47 highs ? Is like the acoustic nags reveiw saying they don't really ring out ( my words but close to what they said ) are dull , average , high and sweet ?

I think finger picking will be top on what I'll be doing but would like strumming and lead abilities as well from it .

You may have heard my music but mostly easy listening new age type stuff so finding that well balanced tone with a little bit to her would be nice .

I do like the Blueridge and some if the f47r vids sound the Blueridge
Had that low end boom sound my 180a has in my case it's a little
to much so .

Rich did anyone of yours have that ? And we're they all rosewood I can't remember the specs guess I go look ;)

Let add these after my saga read . The BR263 A is nice to lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Bhcy0YX80
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mXufOVC6Rcw

Need to hear the guilds again what of them I can find

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, the 143 is mahogany and the 163 and 183 are rosewood models. I'm the wrong guy to ask about low end boom because imho, you can never have too much of that. I can tell you the durability of my Blueridges have been superb with zero issues. My BR 160 Dread is my go to guitar and I've owned it for over 15 years now. It will go to the grave with me. The Guild small body I have that I believe is superb is a vintage F 20 Troubador, just a great little guitar with a huge sound.

Neal

Reaction score
Rayk, I have played virtually every major brand of guitar, of all sizes, shapes and tonewoods, during my years of business travel, killing time at Guitar Centers all over the US. Taylors, Martins and Gibsons mostly, back in the high-end acoustic room.

Each maker has their own "flavor" and devotees to that brand. I have a long-standing bais toward Guilds, which was imprinted in high school after buying a D-35. But there is a reason that I keep buying them. They produce the tone I like. Brighter than a Martin, not as bright as a Taylor, livelier than a Gibson. I admittedly do not have much experience with Blueridge.

The F-47R, simply put, is an in-your-face flattop with a mountain of volume and sustain. It is a bit bass-focused, largely due to the depth of the body. I am tempted to try the new line of Elixer strings that has lights for the wound strings and mediums for the unwound to pump up the treble response, but it playes just fine with lights.

NEal

Reaction score
The more particular one's demands and expectations of guitar sound are, the less likely any verbal description of a particular guitar (let alone a model or a brand) is going to be useful. Consider the variables: instrument-to-instrument, filtered through the ears and preferences of different players. Even video samples are going to suffer from issues of microphones, signal processing, and the bandwidth limits of YouTube. It's not unreasonable to crowdsource information about build quality, long-term reliability, or even physical feel, but beyond the broadest characterizations (the kind that apply across large categories of instrument), subjectively-rooted evaluations (focus, sweetness, depth, clarity, responsiveness, warmth, punch, etc.) are not going to be terribly reliable. There is no substitute for playing the particular instruments.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Neil you like 13's ? Seems it would make harder depending what you play .but find out won't we :)

I use then for open tuning but switch out if I tune up.

I'm going to start calling around see if I find any of these guitars around odds are against me lol but never knows .

Rich I hear ya on the boom lol but my BR180a has it in over kill she's also freaks out on the in the 90hz to 100hz frequency range if I damp the top with my hand I can control it but yeah really play that way so it a pain when recording .

I'll check out the f20 as well . Do your in MI not far from Rosscommon are family has a cabin there next time up I might give ya a call see this list of guitars you have lol

Neal

Reaction score
I agree with Russell's input here. My version of "warmth" or "resonance" may differ considerably from someone elses.

Playability is also a personal preference, with action, relief, string gauge, etc. all as variables.

I will say this, however, having played a couple thousand guitars oer the past few years. Guilds, to my ears anyway, have a different tonal personality, as a brand, than do Martins, Taylors and Gibsons. Not necessarily better, but certainly distinct.

And within the brand, there is a significant degree of difference between models, years, and yes, individual instruments. There is no substitute for playing before your money is spent.

I sent back an F-30 Aragon a few weeks ago that I just did not care for. It happens. Best to have an iron-clad return option for anything being purchased on line.

Neal

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree as well just wonder at what point do just say screw it lol . I mean
I use the term blue collar because there at doable price for my income .

The problem is when your ready to by there is no guitars of interest local so you have no choice but to play the shipping game and hope returns are excepted .

I went through this with my Blueridge . I wanted to try Guild gads no choice but to order , that failed tried Yamaha LL16 that failed , tried an Epi masterbilt triple O that was as bad as it gets and had send that back .

My store options where forced to Taylor , Gibson Of which only a few models and Martins .
There few other brands but not much of a stock like tangle woods .

I don't see a choice of mail ordering again . I will keep looking local of coarse and hope lol
I do have time as it will be awhile before I can act .

I'm getting as much Intel as possible pros/cons that kind of stuff .
You'll all by way of myself got me hooked on Guilds . I also have on the fence about buying American made products trying to support the homeland kind of thing but me interests cost lol
Can't buy a new Harley so I have make do with payed for Honda.

Guitars was the next best thing that I love that was more affordable though in all a recent dicission to make the move . For what I spent I could easily had the Guild D55 (hoping I liked the tone ) just was late to the table .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
so I slowly start my search for any guilds local not easy LOL . We have an old store in statesvile NC http://harryandjeaniewest.com

so I popped in with my boy since I never been in hopes of some used stock unfortunately they did not have much and once again Martins was the main focus Ugh ! but on the flip side they did have a lakewood and Stonebridge dread since Stonebridge was was one I been looking to get my hands on for a while I have to say it was pretty nice lakewood to so don't pass up an opportunity to play on if you see it .

We talked about Guild and they where interested in what I had to say. I also mentioned the MIC line I kind of felt someone needs to stock these kind of guitars around here I thingk that went well but ....... . We also covered Blueridge and Eastman .

They were not impressed with Eastmans as of late and they have not dealt with the guitars just mandolins and they said they where having major issues with neck alinement's being off center and other issues . Odd as I been reading what I can about them and seeing good if not great reviews about the guitars QC ( two different animals I know ) and tone , another thing is when I search there seems to be a gap in years of reviews not to much recent mostly few yrs back ..... welcome to the void of our ..ooops I mean my existeeeeeeeeeeeeence Ooooooo Ahhhhhhhhh ..... and so forth .

But they seemed ok with Blueridge but I'll end there because were talking about Guild . I'd like to get my hands on the F47R possible in a cut a way with a sunburst and the F30 R not sure if that comes the same way . I like the bling of the F47 but I have to realize I need a tone killer ... errr..... wait ! that ain't right ... I need killer tone ! Yeah that's it and it sounds better too . hehehehe ...

I have to laugh in a way that my odds of handling each of these is far and few between . I for one can not believe we don't have transporter beam technology sure would make this easier .

Like Lemon grab says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw ............. UNACCEPTABLE !!!!!!!

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey yeah me again LOL HI Ray :) oh Hi dude how are ya ? Good having coffee .... That's nice how your knees ? ... Yeah there good used up the last the pain pills guess I been using them as a high longer then I needed but time to straighten up get myself read to get back to work and do something with my life ..... Um yeah good for you .... so what do you want ? .... well talk about direct no hows your kids or whats new ...... OH get on with it already !!!! ...... Ok ,,,Ok don't be so pushy ,,,,

Theres a F47rce for sale says it's new WHAT !? guess it's possible it's on Craig's list and I think it's still available . Ah it says May 23rd so it might be still there ???? anyway it has the fishman system is that a Westerly model ? asking 1,400 Are the Tops double A or Triple A ? wheres that darn book I ordered !

I think I'd prefer a Hartford and sunburst if I could find it . I was just considering running down there playing it if it's still there . Guess I will call LOL

Neal

Reaction score
Sounds like a late Westerly. The Tacoma and New Hartford F-47R's used DTAR, unless the Fishman is aftermarket.

Westerly F-47R's would have a high-grade sitka top. Tacoma and New Hartford F-47R's use Adirondack.

Neal

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Neal I found some specs . The fishman is stock AA Sitka top . I wonder why you see grade p
Specs for the side woods ? And it is westerly . Guy who has it if still went out of business so the net says and thus seems a left over . Since it's private sale I won't bug them .

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
To answer the simple question... I have had no issues with the highs not being a strong as the bass and middle tones on my F47R. It's a balanced tone all across the strings.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's great to hear John can you share some audio ? I'd like to get some of the folks here to submit if possible a audio sample of there F30 or F47's rosewood or mahogany or if there's an exotic ? Yup this the first time I asked lol if your able anything clean recorded can have some verb but would prefer the guitar only if possible . Insert cheezy smile here lol ;)
Think it would a good reference/comparison .

Neal

Reaction score
I am trying, Rayk, but appear to be technologically challenged...

I could A/B/C the F-30, F-47R and Orpheum 000, but how?

What is the best way to create and post a recording? I do not have a laptop at home, just an iPad. Which is just as I like it!

Neal

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get some of the folks here to submit if possible a audio sample of there F30 or F47's rosewood or mahogany or if there's an exotic ?

As far as Exotics go they made a GSR F30 in Cocobolo Not sure what Spruce is on the top, A GSR F40 Cocobolo with Carpathian Spruce top and Cocobolo back and sides (same size as F47 except shallower by about an inch), and a GSR F47 Koa with Bear claw Spruce top and Koa back and sides. I believe there is a Youtube video for the F47 Koa.

Oasis Music in England has a GSR F30 Cocobolo for sale.
Reverb has a listing for the GSR F47 Koa.
Guitarrez.com in Austin has a GSR F40 Cocobolo on their website for sale.

The GSR designation states that roughly 20 of each instrument were built as a limited run. 10 for sale in the USA and 10 for sale outside of the USA.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok guys wow I'm tingly all over . This is mind blowing only because my simple mind would think you all would be creating music and sharing it via the web .
First , unless you have a good amount of folks to help out I again invite you to www.twotrackmusic.com were small as heck ask Dapmdave . So no worries of getting lost in a crowd but we know about home recording not pro's don't claim to be some are real good . I'm ok lol .
K so first thing is do you want to record ? If so you'll need to spend some cash how much depends on you and the results you want .
I can guide in the basics as far as the iPad which I can tell you is most powerful tool for music mind blowing ! Here's my favorite guys and I hope to work a tune with some members one day ;) Mastered on IPad and keys/ synths iPad I can get the full info if requested . https://soundcloud.com/jackwm/in-the-channel-refracted-memories-aka-wadlowaranamorefield
Bloody awesome stuff !
Adorshki are you on iPhone/iPad to or android ?
K so let me know what you have and I get you going . Maybe best to start a new thread or Pm you or hit me up on Ttm where this is our love ;)
Oh we had a band challenge Names were drawn form a hat to form a band write a tune and see if ya win we did lol we don't get poo but we had s great time Here's he track https://m.soundcloud.com/two-track-odc/last-ticket
I wrote lyrics and sang .
Anyway just showing we love having fun and anyone is welcome to stop by to talk recording and sharing music .

Last edited: