Reverb at the Guild summer NAMM booth

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is it me or did the guy say "Ren WAS the VP of product development."

merlin6666

Reaction score
I was only watching it on my phone quickly and may have missed some details but I got the impression that Oxnard plant is already operating. I am surprised this was not announced sooner.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was only watching it on my phone quickly and may have missed some details but I got the impression that Oxnard plant is already operating. I am surprised this was not announced sooner.

I heard the phrase "building now". That could mean that certain things are being done as part of the permit process - "Prove to us that this assembly line is safe" or it could mean the permits have been issued and production has started. That said, I'd expect a much bigger announcement it that is the case.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They posted on FB with a photo that showed bent sides in a form in the process of being built and mentioning using "scrap wood" or something like that. If you go to the Guild Facebook page I'm sure you can find the post. Looks like they're starting to test the place out. That's what I got from their post.

Here's what they actually said: We’re starting to warm up the machines over at the Guild factory! Here’s a practice run at bending a side for the future D-20 with a few wood scraps. Who’s getting excited?? http://bit.ly/1HKO2kH

And here's the photo they posted:

eE5fI2.jpg

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
^ I think he meant " Something that the Guild STARFIRE hasn't had before. "

Or he SHOULD have. Maybe, Cordoba needs to buys a good number of Han's book and hand them out to all employees and make them required reading.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
After listening a few times, with the volume UP, I can hear, "... who IS our VP of ...". The first time through, I thought he said "was". Of course, the first time I watched, I had already read someone saying he said "was" which probably biased my perception.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
^ I think he meant " Something that the Guild STARFIRE hasn't had before. "

Or he SHOULD have. Maybe, Cordoba needs to buys a good number of Han's book and hand them out to all employees and make them required reading.

Technically correct, if you are talking about mini/LB-1s. None of those had a stop tail. And isn't "technically correct" the best kind of correct? ;-)

merlin6666

Reaction score
They posted on FB with a photo that showed bent sides in a form in the process of being built and mentioning using "scrap wood" or something like that. If you go to the Guild Facebook page I'm sure you can find the post. Looks like they're starting to test the place out. That's what I got from their post.

Another picture shows some nitro lacquer test spraying, so I guess they are able to do some things there now.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Another picture shows some nitro lacquer test spraying, so I guess they are able to do some things there now.

Interesting, if it's truly nitro (as opposed to something else they used for the sake of the photo or the test, I haven't looked as I don't do Facebook.)
No way that's legal in CA without a CARB-certified spray booth. That's one of the single biggest environmental reg hurdles to clear.
Hopefully that's a very very good sign.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Interesting, if it's truly nitro (as opposed to something else they used for the sake of the photo or the test, I haven't looked as I don't do Facebook.)
No way that's legal in CA without a CARB-certified spray booth. That's one of the single biggest environmental reg hurdles to clear.
Hopefully that's a very very good sign.
My guess is that's been the hold-up all along, Al. For the moment, I will choose to believe that it is indeed a great sign.

P-E-Zmusic

Reaction score
I did not see anything marked Made in Oxnard yet.......at this NAMM still imports or New Hartford

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I did not see anything marked Made in Oxnard yet.......at this NAMM still imports or New Hartford
Because the new Guild factory in Oxnard has not yet produced anything. California environmental law is very tough for starting a factory. They are just ready now and will soon start. Here you can see where they are: http://guildguitars.com/our-company/inside-guild/
And yes, the guitars shown at NAMM were either Korean, Chinese or previously NH made guitars.
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmm no Ren in the May/June pictures...
I wouldn't expect a Vice President of Manufacturing and R&D to be on the shop floor every day. He's there probably just every few days and travels between CMG's headquarters in Santa Monica and the Oxnard factory. Just a guess.
Ralf