New to the forum, advice appreciated

Maloburro

Reaction score
Hi all. I've always been a huge Guild fan but never could quite afford one. I am not a great player but enjoy playing and may start using this to play for students in a classroom. I have several electrics; fenders, ibanez and even a DeArmond m72.

I've been scoping out eBay and found a few D4's. Since USA Guilds don't pop up regularly on CL or GC at reasonable prices I'm seriously thinking about trying this. So there are two I'm looking at. They are both from the 90s. One with case and one without. $400 for the one without case and $445 for the one with. Any advice on how to proceed. The $400 D4 is somewhat local so I could at least try before buy. I hate to lo ball but $45 for a case is pretty cheap.

I'd really like a real USA Guild and these seem to be closest to what I'm looking for. Thanks for any input or advice.

griehund

Reaction score
Welcome to the party. The condition of the guitar must be considered in the price. A cheap price isn't really cheap if you have to spend money on a neck reset or other repair. good luck with your search.

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
To answer your other question, assuming the D4 you're considering IS in decent shape, it's a very good entry level Guild. (IMO -- and I owned one for a couple years.) No whistles, no bells, but a good sounding, good playing guitar. You'd be hard pressed to find anything as good new for that kind of money.

I recommend you check out the one for sale locally. Only you can decide if it feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears. If it doesn't speak to you, you're not out anything. If you do like it, "bird in the hand" and all that!

You can always pick up a case for it later.

Welcome to LTG.

westerlyborn

Reaction score
I bought a D4 from ebay for about $230. I fixed it up a bit, and now it's a rock solid member of the family. No drama, just works and sounds great. I bought this D4 without case because it was an "as-is" guitar. I'd rather have a case at the very least. I think I'd sell mine for $400 with case.

Last edited:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! As a '96 D4 owner, I feel you should definitely check out the one locally first. If it's a "dud", try for the one for $445. I bought one on Ebay a few years ago and it was not a particularly good one, as it turned out. There was no return allowed, so I re-sold it and got most of my money back (lucky, I guess). I then bought the one I have now on Ebay for $500 (including shipping) and it was (and is) a gem! If you do end up buying it sight unseen on Ebay, I would make sure there's a 14 day return policy, otherwise you're taking a big chance! Good luck!

'96 D25 CH
'96 D4 NT
'98 D25 12
'84 D40 NT
'00 Taylor 414 ce (the black sheep of the family)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
I've had three D4s and they've all been good ones, and the price on this one sounds good, all things considered.
If you can put any of these in your hands, you'll know.... :mellow:

Joe

Maloburro

Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
I've had three D4s and they've all been good ones, and the price on this one sounds good, all things considered.
If you can put any of these in your hands, you'll know.... :mellow:

Joe

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the advice. I'm just thinking a USA D4 makes more sense than a GAD. Not to take away from those guitars because I've read they are well made but I'd like to have a legitimate USA Guild, even if it is entry level.

There was a 90s USA Martin single cutaway at my local GC that I briefly considered for $700 but that's a little too rich for my blood right now.

I think you guys are right on about the local one. The gentleman is very up front and pretty much guaranteed that this guitar would be a pleasure to play. If you have any other advice to steer me in another direction, feel free to share it. My most recent GAS was temporarily soothed with a FSR ash butterscotch tele, and I'm still playing it frequently so I can be patient...sort of.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ola Malo, welcome aboard.
D4's are all late Westerly built, 91-01, there were very few duds judging by owner feedback here.
Late Westerly especially '96-'01 is considered by some of us to be one of the best periods in Guild's history and tha's sayin' a lot.
A D4 is basically a D25 with the slight bling a D25 has, removed, for ulimate economy: Originally hand-rubbed finish only (no gloss available), Natural color finish only, no back binding and no case. All together saved around a couple hundred bucks off price of D25.
As production went on it eventually got all those details, so for example if it's got a gloss finish it has to be a '96-'97 or later.
You could do a lot worse than a D4 for a lot more money, as you seem to have figured out.
Good Luck!

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. I've gone a roundabout way as I often do. I ended up with a Fender F65 and Alvarez RD8. Both on the cheap but also on a whim. The F65 is cool with lots of mojo but has had a rough life and doesn't play as well as the cheap RD8. So now I see another D4 with some minor issues that these guitars seem to have based on research(mostly binding). I think I need to sell the F65 as I just can't bond with it and if I pull the trigger on he D4. I have lately been looking at the lower priced USA Taylors and Martins but I've always wanted a guild. I'll post pics and update if I do it. I really have to sell the F65 first or simultaneously. Thanks again for the knowledge base.

Burro

Ola Malo, welcome aboard.
D4's are all late Westerly built, 91-01, there were very few duds judging by owner feedback here.
Late Westerly especially '96-'01 is considered by some of us to be one of the best periods in Guild's history and tha's sayin' a lot.
A D4 is basically a D25 with the slight bling a D25 has, removed, for ulimate economy: Originally hand-rubbed finish only (no gloss available), Natural color finish only, no back binding and no case. All together saved around a couple hundred bucks off price of D25.
As production went on it eventually got all those details, so for example if it's got a gloss finish it has to be a '96-'97 or later.
You could do a lot worse than a D4 for a lot more money, as you seem to have figured out.
Good Luck!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let me add another welcome to the above. D4's are really solid, decent guitars. The arched back really helps with projection and sustain. You seem to not be a novice so I'm probably telling you stuff you already know, but I always take a straight edge (at least 24") to evaluate the neck angle on guitars I'm considering. If you already know that, good. If not, take a tip from Frank Ford and follow this link so you know ----->>> http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

Maloburro

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Tom. That was very helpful. I will definitely use that.

Let me add another welcome to the above. D4's are really solid, decent guitars. The arched back really helps with projection and sustain. You seem to not be a novice so I'm probably telling you stuff you already know, but I always take a straight edge (at least 24") to evaluate the neck angle on guitars I'm considering. If you already know that, good. If not, take a tip from Frank Ford and follow this link so you know ----->>> http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

blankletmusic

Reaction score
A D4 is a good buy for the price. It stacks up against other guitars with higher price tags IMO. Very easy to play, nice tone and a nice-looking guitar with its pearloid pickguard and hand-rubbed finish. I've played quite a few Martins and except the high-end Taylors ($2,000+ models) this D4 really holds its own IMO.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's another vote for the D4: It is the guitar I bought the wife for Christmas one year (story here) and it is a really good guitar.

One of nephews borrowed it for the post-cookout acoustic jam at my Labor Day cookout and ended up buying his own D4 from a Craigslist ad in Connecticut.

Assuming no major issues (see davismanLV's link), they're a really good value for the money. Vintage made in USA goodness at the price of some mediocre MIC and MIK guitars.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Add me to the list of D-4 fans. It was my first Guild and I picked it up with case for $350 on CL.. I sold it last year and I miss it. It is the guitar that made me fall for the brand. It is arguably one of the best values you will find in an acoustic guitar. Like the others stated, no frills, not bells or whistles. Just a solid top with an arched laminated back to give it volume. I put a k&k in mine and gigged it heavily for a couple of years. Always delivered. Always got compliments on the sound from people with far more expensive guitars..

If I were to compare it to a car, it is the early 90's Honda accord of acoustic guitars.. My opinion.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If I were to compare it to a car, it is the early 90's Honda accord of acoustic guitars.. My opinion.
Don't get me wrong, but I'm prejudiced against front wheel drive, for handling...NO question about economy and reliability for Honda, though.
If you equate handling to playability, I always thought of my D25 (same exact body and neck construction as D4 for those who may not know) as being the guitar equivalent of early '80's RX-7...arched back was unique and an "underdog" like the RX's rotary motor, which was also insanely reliable, by then.
RX's were economical sports cars, not "high performance", but they'd outclass many vehicles costing significantly more, as their 5 years of IMSA GT dominance proved.
:friendly_wink:

tjmangum

Reaction score
Welcome, take your shoes off and sit for a while here on LTG! I've owned many Guilds and IMHO the D4 was not one of my favorites. For that price point, I would look for a used Eastman with all solid woods. It's in that next price point between $500 and $1000 that you find great values in Guild guitars.
T