New Cordoba Starfire IVs: Opinions

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm really somewhat amazed that I can't get a straight answer about the new SF-IV guitars here at the Guild forum. Thanks for hijacking the thread to argue about pickups. :uncomfortableness:

Threadjacking is common on this forum. Embrace it. :)

As for a new Starfire, are we talking a Newark Street (Korean) guitar, or is there a newer US-made Starfire that I'm unaware of?

If Korean, I've played a NS SFIII, and it was nice for the price, but I'd still pick a Westerly Guild all day long. If there's a new US-Made (Cordoba) Starfire, I'd be very interested in trying one.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
We're talking NS here, GAD. If there was any hint of a US Starfire, I would be saving up for one. :-(

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It sounded like they nailed Clapton's Disraeli Gears sounds perfectly. I'd also like to know about the thickness of the neck.
I'm really somewhat amazed that I can't get a straight answer about the new SF-IV guitars here at the Guild forum. Thanks for hijacking the thread to argue about pickups. :uncomfortableness:

So you think Clapton's Disraeli Gears tone was due to the necK?
Never woulda thoughta that.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
We're talking NS here, GAD. If there was any hint of a US Starfire, I would be saving up for one. :-(

Just wanted to make sure. It's hard to keep up with all the things I need to be saving for. :)

guitarslinger

Reaction score
I will say categorically, without qualification, provisos, explanations, ifs, ands, buts, or explanations...the NS Starfire is a great guitar right out of the box.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Well...no, nor the Guildsby nor the bridge pickup, nor the strap. I think my wife is just perfect when she's dressed up for an outing. I like her even better in a sexy nightgown. I loved the IV right out of the box. I just posted the sexy nightgown picture. But, I fear we may be in danger of a veer here. LOL

DrumBob

Reaction score
OK, I realize I mislead some of you initially. I'm glad to hear that you guys like the Starfires. We'll see how the pickup situation shakes out when it arrives. I figure I could always switch the pickups around if the bridge is louder, or look for a vintage Guild bucker online.

The good news is, I have a brand new Newark Street SF-IV in cherry with a stop tailpiece due to arrive Wednesday from Sweatwater. I didn't want the floating bridge or harp tailpiece. I made a good deal with a member of gretsch-talk. He had an $1100 credit with Sweatwater, which bought the SF, plus he sent me a nice amount of cash. In return, he's getting my Gretsch 6118T Anniversary, a guitar that never did it for me.

If you watch Cordoba's demo video of the SF-IV, you'll hear how it nails the Clapton Cream tone circa '68. Let's just say I was highly impressed.

This guitar finally makes up for the fact that I should have bought a Starfire when I worked at Guild all those years ago.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Better clean & driven tone comparison in this vid IMO:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's an interesting guitar. Mini-hums in a stop-tail. As much as I like the looks of the Guild Harp, I greatly prefer a stop-tail on a non-Guildsby Starfire. I might have to go try one of these as I'd not been following the latest NS guitars.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Well...no, nor the Guildsby nor the bridge pickup, nor the strap. I think my wife is just perfect when she's dressed up for an outing. I like her even better in a sexy nightgown. I loved the IV right out of the box. I just posted the sexy nightgown picture. But, I fear we may be in danger of a veer here. LOL

Sexy nightgown? You posted the wrong picture. All I see is a red guitar!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The one with the Starfire bass also? Fuzz tone on that one too.
I can't find any 2015 video of a red SF IV ST, only the old Jan 2013 one showing Mike Lewis with the normal harp tailpiece SF IV and Shane Nicholas on the SF bass.

Ralf