Thunderbird In An S100 Case?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wouldn't think so; the body shape is too different (and shorter than the bird.) If it were one of the 60s S-100 that had a similar body to the T-Bird, then probably.

(Such a wonderful problem to have; I'm jealous.)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The 4519 case in 1974 was for the S-100, S-90 and S-50.

BUT: The 1966 catalog shows for the S-200 Thunderbird and the S-100 Polara also the 4519 case !!! But it looks like the 4519 case was changed over time...As you can see below the Thunderbird cases look pretty different inside from that 1974 S-100 case, even if the have the same numbers in the catalog.

GuildS-200Thunderbird-1.jpg

GuildS-20069SGCustom.jpg

130184189871-4.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

eltuce

Reaction score
That case looks similar to the one for the Epiphone Crestwood Deluxes. I know it fits in those, but the neck is resting way up high and that makes me nervous. I have a friend who has one of those, and I have been tempted, just because it's better than what I have right now.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have you checked out the generic Roadrunner rectangle electric cases?

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Is the DeArmond jet-star the same size as the Guild? If so, I could try it in my s100 case.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry if this was out of line, but I couldn't pass up the chance to finally land a period correct case for one of my '77 S-100s! I didn't even throw an offer at the guy for fear of missing out.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My 60s Jetstars do not fit in a 70s s-100 case. (Body too wide-thanks Hans!) They do fit in the 60s s-200 case. They also fit in the rectangle Epiphone bass case and the tweed rectangle guardian bass case (SG bass cases not pbass). Hope this is of some help. Someone has the exact Epiphone bass case I have on eBay right now for $75 shipped, but I can't promise this will work for you. Good luck!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like LA bought the blue lined S-100 case. Eltuce if that case is indeed a 1974 S-100, there is no way your 60s T-bird would have fit!

heres the link to the one i use for 60s Jetstars:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131562054969?NAV=HOME

the big thing for me was the body width.

Last edited:

eltuce

Reaction score
Sorry if this was out of line, but I couldn't pass up the chance to finally land a period correct case for one of my '77 S-100s! I didn't even throw an offer at the guy for fear of missing out.

No problem at all!

Thanks for the tip, mavuser. That looks pretty much like what I have it in now, minus the Epi logo. I'm not in a huge rush and I have no problem holding out for the right thing.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That case looks similar to the one for the Epiphone Crestwood Deluxes. I know it fits in those, but the neck is resting way up high and that makes me nervous. I have a friend who has one of those, and I have been tempted, just because it's better than what I have right now.

If you have a line on the 60s blue lined crest wood case I would snag it! I believe that is the OHSC for the thunderbird! Even if you are not comfortable using it 100 percent of the time, if you have the thunderbird you should snag that!

As as for the Epi bass case I referenced , as well as the guardian tweed bass case, they fit my Jetstars pretty good, and I am pretty mental about how my guitars fit (or don't fit) in their cases. With that said there is some extra room with the Jetstars in those cases, but overall I'm comfortable with the fit for my purposes. I also have one in an older obscure TKL guitar hard case that was likely for a Gibson firebird/ thunderbird. So a modern version of that may work for you. And finally, the MONO M80/M80 Vertigo hard/soft case works for the 1966 6-inline headstock jetstar. Never tried the other w the thunderbird headstock but that may work as well.

not easy guitars to find cases for!

eltuce

Reaction score
This is the one I have a line on. I've been meaning to double check the measurements compared to my Crestwood case.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Thunderbird OHSC but someone else should confirm (or correct) that

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like the Thunderbird OHSC but someone else should confirm (or correct) that
You mean the one Eltuce posted before your post? No, it's not. The body would have no support and would crash with the headstock into the left side.
Compare how the neck and body were supported here:

130184189871-4.jpg

Ralf

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You mean the one Eltuce posted before your post? No, it's not. The body would have no support and would crash with the headstock into the left side.
Compare how the neck and body were supported here:

130184189871-4.jpg

Ralf

Good catch thanks Ralf!

eltuce

Reaction score
Here's mine in my Crestwood Deluxe case. It's actually a pretty great fit. Looks like I will be buying that case from my friend after all.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's mine in my Crestwood Deluxe case. It's actually a pretty great fit. Looks like I will be buying that case from my friend after all.

very cool, if that indeed works flawlessly. heed Ralf's caution though, in above post #15...make sure that guitar is not moving "north-south " at all (not moving at all whatsoever...), without the supports near the cutway/horn areas.

look closely at the picture Ralf posted with the sunburst Tbird in the case...you see those extra body supports? your case doesnt have those. just make sure the guitar is not moving at all!! looks like it might be OK with the foam neck/fretboard support (and bottom of the body foam support) you added under the hood...just make sure that thing is not moving! or if it is get more foam for those areas.

and by the way...nice guitar!

ukulelelab

Reaction score
I received a similar case with a 60's Fender bass from NYC and use it to store my '65 Jetstar bass:

38631408026_15c8b6fb6b_b.jpg