Guild to Resume Making American Hollowbody Guitars?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I stopped into my local Guild Dealer earlier today to check on when I can get the F612 I recently purchased in for repairs and got to Shoot the BS a little. The guys at my local store are all friends and Musicians as well. Most of them own or have owned vintage Guilds in the past so we all have that common thread. Recently the Guild rep stopped in and updated them on how things were going. As I was taking a look at some of the Newark Street Offerings my friend dropped a bombshell on me. He said that the rep stated after they get production up and going and the Acoustic lines rolling off the presses, They plan on making some American Made Electrics out of Oxnard, Possibly as early as the beginning of next year. He said the plans were to not make any solid bodies here in the USA. Only Hollow and Semihollow, and possibly Chambered. How Cool is That? They also have plans in the works to get the Custom Shop back up and running as well. I was also told not to be surprised if Ren Ferguson finds a Special stock of wood every now and then and decides to make a limited run of guitars out of it on the fly.

We got to talking about the permit process and what was holding things up. You won't believe why they were having a hangup with the permits. According to the Rep they had permits for everything including the Hazardous chemicals used to make the Nitro Cellulose Lacquer and everything was in order. The hangup came from a Machine press that they use in the guitar making process. Apparently the machine was drawing more Current than the State of California was happy with when it was in use and this was the hold up for final permitting. LOL.

Now this is all second hand but I have no reason to think that the guys at the shop would be lying about anything. They also mentioned that Cordoba/Guild wasn't trying to keep secrets about anything they were building or planning to build as they strongly feel the following for the New Guild offerings start on Forums such as this one. Just some food for thought. Sounds like our Favorite Brand is in good hands and there are some wonderful things on the Horizon!:triumphant:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Apparently the machine was drawing more Current than the State of California was happy with when it was in use and this was the hold up for final permitting.
Yeah, the Republic is kinda funny about sharing its power.

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That would be very cool if

-they're not all crazy expensive guitars

-they're as "traditionally Guild" as the Newark Street guitars. It would be very nice to see some high quality new instruments that are modeled on classic Hoboken-era Guilds.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that no too long ago Grot lent them his 70' M80 double cut, No telling what they have in the works.

Correction--- It was a M-75 single cut.:single_eye:

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Drawing too much power on ONE machine held up things ? I wonder what engineering reports they had to come up with to appease the inspectors? Maybe that is why Tesla stuff is made in Nevada ?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The hangup came from a Machine press that they use in the guitar making process. Apparently the machine was drawing more Current than the State of California was happy with when it was in use and this was the hold up for final permitting. LOL.

I have to wonder if it wasn't the ancient Arched Back Press?

Don't forget that no too long ago Grot lent them his 70' M80 double cut, No telling what they have in the works.

Nope, loaned them my '73 M-75 Bluesbird. I'm pretty sure it made a trip to Korea!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry Grot I thought that was the Double Cut M80, My mistake.:dejection: I corrected it in the post above as not to start an untrue circulation of knowledge.:encouragement:

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
No new news but very good to have confirmation. When the acquisition was first announced Cordoba said they expected to make electrics in the USA but following a limited edition/GSR type of production model. The decision to make just hollow and semi-hollow bodies makes sense. The tooling to make a slab of wood into a solid body guitar is just a little different. The also announced that they wanted to implement some kind of custom order process but that was a hope that would be revisited once the factory was open.

I will note from my extensive personal experience :) touring guitar factories that making a custom instrument is not as simple as it seems. You need some process that confirms that the request is feasible, i.e. something that can be built and then you need a way to track the build process. One key issue is making sure that the Adirondack pine neck gets fretted for a 25" scale, not the expected 24.5" and that the resulting neck is married to the closetwood Cedar body that was built last week and not the petrified Sequoia one. This does not have to be rocket science but the factory floor needs to be trained that they have to tag certain assemblies as they are made and they have to read the tags before using them, making the obvious comparison to a build sheet. Newt Hartford had the technology to handle custom orders easily. What they did not have was a way to track them or a good handle on the costs. Do we charge $5 or $500 to reset the fret machine to handle a different scale? Do we do that now or do we wait until we have 8 necks that need to be cut the same way?

The good news is that Cordoba, starting from scratch, already knows they want to do this so they can put the processes and procedures in place from the beginning.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder if it wasn't the ancient Arched Back Press?
That's a really good question, given its age.
And quite seriously, if it was drawing too much current at a bad time of day and tripped breakers in the grid, it could have wide ranging consequences, like all the way into the LA Basin, if you get my drift.
So on reflection I get why the permitting process was so stringent no matter what machine it actually was.
Maybe that is why Tesla stuff is made in Nevada ?
Only a battery factory. Cars still made in ex-Toyota-GM NUMMI plant in Fremont CA and in fact a look at their employment ads shows locations all over the planet like any other car maker.
SO maybe what's needed is battery backup at Oxnard...

guildman63

Reaction score
In my contacts with Cordoba/Guild quite a while ago I was assured that the American Patriarch line would continue, but they were not willing or able to tell me which models that would include. I'm looking forward to 2016 to see what electric offerings there will be. I'm concerned, however, that I will be unable to resist the temptation to buy yet another, particularly if something completely new and different is offered. Or perhaps an X-350/375? I'm scared.

Neal

Reaction score
Geez, at least building guitars isn't all that water intensive.

I bet it is the old Westerly back press that is drawing the current.

Neal

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a really good question, given its age.
And quite seriously, if it was drawing too much current at a bad time of day and tripped breakers in the grid, it could have wide ranging consequences, like all the way into the LA Basin, if you get my drift.
So on reflection I get why the permitting process was so stringent no matter what machine it actually was.

Only a battery factory. Cars still made in ex-Toyota-GM NUMMI plant in Fremont CA and in fact a look at their employment ads shows locations all over the planet like any other car maker.
SO maybe what's needed is battery backup at Oxnard...

One small piece of machinery can draw enough current to shut down the whole power grid?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One small piece of machinery can draw enough current to shut down the whole power grid?
Yep, it's possible.
From Wiki (my italics/bolding for emphasis):
"In power supply networks, the power generation and the electrical load (demand) must be very close to equal every second to avoid overloading of network components, which can severely damage them. Protective relays and fuses are used to automatically detect overloads and to disconnect circuits at risk of damage.
Under certain conditions, a network component shutting down can cause current fluctuations in neighboring segments of the network leading to a cascading failure of a larger section of the network. This may range from a building, to a block, to an entire city, to an entire electrical grid."
More here for the morbidly curious (like me):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_outage
One critical element here is transformers. Ever heard one explode and like 2 seconds later your power's off?
Somethin's goin' on with those. They don't build 'em like they used to. In fact I don't even think it's the same "they" as it was 15 years ago, if you get my drift.
At least here in Silicon Valley, I've experienced more power outages in the last 10 years than I did the entire first 49 years of my life.
Wassup with that?
We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread....