Guild d25e from 1976?

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I just bought a Guild D25e, and was wondering if I can get some info on it!

The serial number matches with a 1976 guitar according to the Serial Chart on the guild site. S/n: 133xxx

I was wondering if anyone knows what's up with this D25. Does the "e" stand for electric? The guitar isn't cherry, so I don't think it's actually a d25c. I can't find any other D25e guitars online, besides an entry in a Guild book that days these were being made in 1989-1990.

I'll post a few pictures asap for you all.

Thanks!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the LTG. Does the Guild have knobs on the upper bout?
Typically, the E would signify electric, but often I have seen an actual knob or 2 near the neck along the upper bout of the guitar.
Though I am sure Guild did some simple under saddle pups with no knobs too.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, a D25C would denote a cutaway, but I don't think I've ever seen a D-25 cutaway. I think a D-25CH would be a cherry-red D-25. Pictures of the guitar, showing the label, would help.

Guild was always much more consistent with quality of the guitars than with what they put on labels.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome! Pictures will help resolve your questions...

walrus

Reaction score
You're all champions. Here are a few pictures!
It looks like the guitar may have had a big refinishing job done. I'm not sure though!
It doesn't seem too beat up, but there's a layer of dirt on it that guitar center didn't bother wiping off :(
The HSC is not an original.

a7gBXDZ.jpg

L0isWMM.jpg

D9Zbr2o.jpg

Reaction score
There's a volume dial inside the soundhole, but for all I know it may have been installed afterward. I read online that Guild d25E guitars of 1989-90 had Fishman Transducers. I can't find much info on the d25E besides that.

geoguy

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG, Norainnograin.

Are those screws or bolts at either end of the bridge?

The label appears to have received some overspray (presumably from re-finishing or a finish repair). I think I also see a little red finish on the edge of the soundhole. Maybe the guitar used to be finished in cherry lacquer?

I have a similar-vintage D25 that sounds great. I hope that you enjoy the way this one plays & sounds. :happy:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
There's a volume dial inside the soundhole, but for all I know it may have been installed afterward. I read online that Guild d25E guitars of 1989-90 had Fishman Transducers. I can't find much info on the d25E besides that.
Yes I suspect it's been refinished and that volume control is a replacement. I've NEVER seen a Guild "e" from Westerly that didn't have control knobs either in the side of the upper bout near the neck or even right in the top, or beginning in early '90's a flat panel with sliders (the Fishmans), but farther back towards the waist.
Now that I think about it, I do have a recollection that our guru Hans Moust once mentioned Barcus-Berry hot dots were used for a short while, iIt might explain why there's a couple of "dots" on either end of the bridge but I can't remember for sure if that was the sign of the Barcus-Berrys. In any case they weren't all that great, that might be why they were replaced if I'm right in my guess.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
Now that I think about it, I do have a recollection that our guru Hans Moust once mentioned Barcus-Berry hot dots were used for a short while, it might explain why there's a couple of "dots" on either end of the bridge but I can't remember for sure if that was the sign of the Barcus-Berrys. In any case they weren't all that great, that might be why they were replaced if I'm right in my guess.

It's not the right location for the Barcus Berry Hot Dots, but if you look closer you will notice that it's not even a Guild bridge.

As was already mentioned, we're looking at a Guild D-25C, which had the original top finish removed (for the most part) and the bridge replaced.
The photo is not clear enough to see if that's black pickguard or a tortoise style one, but it should be a tortoise style one.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Mystery solved! The price tag in store had labeled it a d25e, and had me in knots of confusion once I looked into it! Thanks again everyone. I had noticed the refinishing job and suspected the bolted bridge to be a non-guild one, but didn't realize, as Hans pointed out, that the pickguard is also replaced. It's not a tortoise shell, but a solid black one. It does play very sweetly, but I'm wondering now if I should just get a less Frankenstein'ed D25. What do you guys feel about acoustics as changed as this one?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It does play very sweetly, but I'm wondering now if I should just get a less Frankenstein'ed D25. What do you guys feel about acoustics as changed as this one?
I'm a purist I'd want the original bridge or correct replacement at least, but that'd probably mean more finish touchup and not sure if it's worth it, but that's just me.
Spank me for not looking at the bridge more closely, I thought it looked a little funny but then thought, well I've been wrong before...and couldn't see the label all that clearly either or that might have nailed it down.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If it plays as "sweetly" as you say, then the only remaining issue that would make a difference is the price. Once you tell them what you have found out here, perhaps they will lower the price. You may get a steal (or not). Also, remember Guitar Center has a great return policy on used equipment, so if you change your mind, you can return it. Up to you, and how much you really liked it in the store.

But there are plenty of Frankenguilds out there being played, and this one is not nearly as bad as some...

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mystery solved! The price tag in store had labeled it a d25e, and had me in knots of confusion once I looked into it! Thanks again everyone. I had noticed the refinishing job and suspected the bolted bridge to be a non-guild one, but didn't realize, as Hans pointed out, that the pickguard is also replaced. It's not a tortoise shell, but a solid black one. It does play very sweetly, but I'm wondering now if I should just get a less Frankenstein'ed D25. What do you guys feel about acoustics as changed as this one?

It's still a Guild D25 at its core. If you are drawn to its tone and playability, I agree with Walrus, negotiate as best you can and bring it home.

Br1ck

Reaction score

In the brilliant words of the late, great Frank Zappa, " Shut up and play your guitar"

Reaction score
In the brilliant words of the late, great Frank Zappa, " Shut up and play your guitar"

Ain't that the truth. :)

Norman's down the street is selling a less knackered D25C http://www.normansrareguitars.com/guild-1978-d-25c-acoustic.html

I talked them down to where a Big Baby Taylor / Mexican Martin is in the same price bracket, at which point it felt like a good deal. The case it comes with is crumby, so I also found a dealer in Southern California who was selling a more modern (90s?) acoustic case for half of what the new Guild cases cost. Far from the original OHSC, but it still fits like a glove and I'm digging the green tweed.
f9mcjI6l.jpg

I'm not sure what the rules on telling prices are on LTG. :p

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the rules on telling prices are on LTG. :p
Only touchy for those actually selling/buying here on the forum, then should be in "For Sale/For Trade" which can only be seen by members.
Even there respectful discourse regarding perceptions of price is encouraged.
Done deals from outside the forum? They're done deals.
The worst ones are "Did I pay too much?"
Well why didn't you ask us before you paid too much?
At that time of course we'll tell you you paid too much just to mess wit' ya.
:friendly_wink:

TVeye

Reaction score
So the "e" went back to GC? If you're down the street from Norman that means you are in Reseda.
Which GC are we talking about, TO?

Reaction score
\The worst ones are "Did I pay too much?"
Well why didn't you ask us before you paid too much?
At that time of course we'll tell you you paid too much just to mess wit' ya.
:friendly_wink:

hahahaha! I hope I didn't come off as a the regretful type!

Like you guys are saying, once I spend time with it I'll know whether to hang on or not! It's on GC's security hold for now, but I liked the time I did spend with it in store. Like Walrus said, they have a great return policy incase I have second thoughts. It being my first Guild, I'm drooling quite a bit.