Guild dread top bracing 1971-1995 REDUX

Neal

Reaction score
And, by the way, both the D-25 and D-35 are super light, as light as my Orpheums.

And, maybe not as a coincidence, both are verging on the need for a neck reset...

Neal

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks TC, it could have Dana, yes. The article was transcribed from a GAL lecture, and Dana has been a frequent lecturer and contributor to the Guild of American Lutherie magazine.

I know someone who worked for Bourgeois for several years. He has a couple DB guitars and they are exceptional. His reputation is well-earned IMO. Alas I've never had the scratch to buy one! (I've never owned a new car either!)

But the article was provocative. I'm as guilty as anyone in thinking of guitars as somehow not subject to the aging process, which is kind of silly when you think about it.

I didn't know Dana did shop tours. I'm in Massachusetts, not so far from where he is. I should look into it.

Thanks!

Glenn

That may well have been Dana Bourgeois himself Glenn. He's a frequent speaker at lutherie conventions, and perhaps the foremost authority on top bracing schemes anywhere. I think he explains it very succinctly here, which was taken from the Guitar Guru" section of Acoustic Guitar magazine. I'm going to visit his factory in early October, and am really looking forward to seeing his operation.

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And, by the way, both the D-25 and D-35 are super light, as light as my Orpheums.

And, maybe not as a coincidence, both are verging on the need for a neck reset...

Neal

My one early Guild is a D40, very light in comparison with post-1970 (or whenever they made the change) versions. Luckily it's doing well in that it's not in need of a neck reset. However it had severe top bellying problems when I got it. Bridge Doctor to the rescue! Gave it a new lease on life and has been performing well since. Not that some of my heavier built Guilds haven't also arrived with bellying issues, but none were as acute as that early D40.

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Another frequently encountered phenomenon, especially in the Martin and Gibson world, are the guitar collectors who not only expect a guitar to last half a century or more, but who insist that it remain original in every respect as well.

Though the most hardcore of these "types" seem to be collectors, not players.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks TC, it could have Dana, yes. The article was transcribed from a GAL lecture, and Dana has been a frequent lecturer and contributor to the Guild of American Lutherie magazine.

I know someone who worked for Bourgeois for several years. He has a couple DB guitars and they are exceptional. His reputation is well-earned IMO. Alas I've never had the scratch to buy one! (I've never owned a new car either!)

But the article was provocative. I'm as guilty as anyone in thinking of guitars as somehow not subject to the aging process, which is kind of silly when you think about it.

I didn't know Dana did shop tours. I'm in Massachusetts, not so far from where he is. I should look into it.

Thanks!

Glenn

Glenn, Bourgeois shop tours are usually offered only one Friday a month, and you can email them at info@bourgeoisguitars.com to find out which Friday that is. I am planning to go either next month or possible October as I have an Aunt that lives near Portland, and would like to include that as part of the trip. Need to see her too as she's just turned 90!

Aristera

Reaction score
GardMan,

I checked my DV-62 tonight and is has the same soundhole plate as my DV-72. Another update for your diagram.

James

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks to everyone who has looked at the braces in their dreads... I am compiling all and trying to see some sort of a timeline for the changes from one bracing pattern to another, so would love to hear more (not just DVs!)! IF you don't want to keep adding to the thread, just PM me...

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy, I, too, think Dana Bourgeois is one of the best in the business and he builds incredible guitars. When he talks, I listen. It's true, we expect so much from these wooden things that are put under such amazing stress constantly and then we fuss when something goes wrong.

When talking about carbon fiber, I've played some Rainsong guitars that'll make you SIT UP and take notice! But the funny thing is, even though they're all man made materials, they're still individuals. Some are GREAT and some are not. Not sure what that tells us....... :encouragement:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy, I, too, think Dana Bourgeois is one of the best in the business and he builds incredible guitars. When he talks, I listen. It's true, we expect so much from these wooden things that are put under such amazing stress constantly and then we fuss when something goes wrong.

When talking about carbon fiber, I've played some Rainsong guitars that'll make you SIT UP and take notice! But the funny thing is, even though they're all man made materials, they're still individuals. Some are GREAT and some are not. Not sure what that tells us....... :encouragement:

I agree Tom. I played a Rainsong in a guitar center in Arlington TX the other day that sounded amazing.. I almost felt bad for the wooden guitars surrounding it, but I have played some that were mediocre in tone at best..

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree Tom. I played a Rainsong in a guitar center in Arlington TX the other day that sounded amazing.. I almost felt bad for the wooden guitars surrounding it, but I have played some that were mediocre in tone at best..

Rainsong guitars, especially the satin finished ones, are fantastic instruments that have no bracing at all! I had a really great S-DR100N2 that I bought to use as travel guitar, but later sold to buy another "proper" travel guitar, a Composite Acoustics Cargo RAW. I never bonded with the CA, and found the 22" scale difficult to deal with with my fat fingers, so I sold that one as well. Now I'm trying to find another S-DR100N@, but they've been discontinued by Rinsing, and are getting harder to find. One thing I've noticed about carbon fiber guitars is that they sound fantastic with no finish, and somewhat less so with one. Overall I think they're a great invention though.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Neal
Not bad for 40+ year-old guitars
My D25, on the other hand, has the rounded neck-block extension and at 19 years is still dead-on in the straightedge neck alignment test.
I consider it to be a featherweight although opinion seems to hold that the arched backs are supposed to be heavy.
And it's always been strung with lights.
My Corona D40 is the tank in the family and perhaps not-so-coincidentally was the sonic runt of the litter for a long time.
It never occurred to me to check the bracing though.
I just kind of assumed the wood was little bit thicker all the way around, amongst other things.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Rainsong guitars, especially the satin finished ones, are fantastic instruments that have no bracing at all! I had a really great S-DR100N2 that I bought to use as travel guitar, but later sold to buy another "proper" travel guitar, a Composite Acoustics Cargo RAW. I never bonded with the CA, and found the 22" scale difficult to deal with with my fat fingers, so I sold that one as well. Now I'm trying to find another S-DR100N@, but they've been discontinued by Rinsing, and are getting harder to find. One thing I've noticed about carbon fiber guitars is that they sound fantastic with no finish, and somewhat less so with one. Overall I think they're a great invention though.

Agreed. I don't think they will overtake our wooden beauties, but I think they hold up tone-wise and serve a real need for traveling musicians who need to throw their guits onto a plane or in the back of a van for long periods. I will say if I came across one that played like the one I played the other day for the right price ( under a $1000 ) I would be tempted to pick it up..

Br1ck

Reaction score
If I were buying a travel guitar today it would be the Journey carbon fiber. Really good sounding guitar, and the neck pops on and off in no time.

I think the popularity of bolt on necks makes the whole durability issue go away, as neck resets become no big deal.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Very interesting and great diagrams. How does the bracing of newer dreads compare (e.g. Tacoma, New Hartford) or did they follow the same pattern?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very interesting and great diagrams. How does the bracing of newer dreads compare (e.g. Tacoma, New Hartford) or did they follow the same pattern?

An interesting question, which I cannot answer... we'll need info from owners of Tacoma and New Hartford Guilds! (I'd also like to hear from owners of pre-70 dreads from any factory, Westerly dreads in the period from '81-'84, and post '95)