new casady/lesh inspired bass project

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Thought this might be interesting to some of the Lesh and Casady fans here on the forum.
Warwick Star Bass, which is clearly a Guild Starfire inspired bass -- semi hollow with two big and very responsive single coil pickups, though she is medium 32" scale, which I'm happy to say I'm finding super comfy. Excellent balance, both sitting down or standing up with a strap.
But the really fun part is that I managed to get my hands on an ACG EQ-02 preamp, in the same family as the Alembic Superfilter system, except that it runs a super broad low pass filter along side a high pass filter for both pickups, as opposed to the Alembicized Starfires which I think had a separate low pass filter for each pickup. ACG has discontinued production of the EQ-02 and now only offer the EQ-01 for sale, which runs dual low pass filters and I believe LTGer HappyFace has an EQ-01 system in his JS-II bass.
The installation was a doozy... I managed to get everything in through the F-hole, which are thankfully generously large on these Star Basses (don't think it would have been possible with the smaller Guild F-holes), but there really was no way to mount the preamp board and the battery, working through the F-hole, so I ended up having to make a rear-access cavity, on the cover plate of which I mounted the two 9volt battery holder clips to hold both the board and the battery.
So far, I've gotta say, I'm head over heels in love with it. Hoping to get some recordings to demo the bass for others to hear. It's capable of getting awesome Casady and Lesh tones, but beyond that, the flexibility of tone with this preamp and these pickups is truly remarkable. It's definitely a different approach and there is a learning curve. The hardest part to tame is probably the part of the frequency spectrum where the two filters start to overlap, but I'm starting getting the hang of it!

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Nice work! You will be happy to have easy access to the circuit board
I had one of the leads work loose at a gig. Imagine how hard it wd be to deal with that through an f-hole!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You guys are awesome. Have I ever told you I named one of my Guild basses after both of you? It's called "Mellow Face bass"

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Mellow does so much more interesting work! I am not worthy of the honor.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mellow does so much more interesting work! I am not worthy of the honor.

But from the standpoint of one who has not been paid for playing bass since the 1970's. both of you have worthy and honorable accomplishments. It looks like the street price on the Warwick Star is circa $1000 which would make a head to head comparison between a stock one and a Newark Street bass very interesting

edwin

Reaction score
This looks awesome! I've always wanted a 32" scale Starfire. Is this a set neck? What woods in the body and neck? What strings?

Nice job on the back door. I would do exactly the same thing (as I did with my Starfire).

I have had an EQ-01 almost since they first came out (and it has been since updated to current specs). I had it in my Starfire for a while, but then replaced with Series II electronics. Now it resides in my Modulus, but I'm not convinced it's the right place for it. With that bass I tend to want more traditional tone controls.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some clips.

edwin

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I used to have a dual 9v powered Rex Bogue Ballz Deluxe in my Gibson EB-2D back in high school. That was a seriously difficult business to get through the F-hole and changing batteries was not a casual affair. I miss the bass. I don't miss all the crazy F-hole shenanigans.

ric426

Reaction score
I've been wondering about the EQ-01 and just missed a used one on Talkbass. I can't really afford one though and will probably try building my own version.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I believe it's all maple. I tried the F hole for about 5mins, then after a splitting headache set in, I just opted for the back cavity.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
My baby Romola Martin, live and in action with Bold Folly! Pretty good sound in this video as we recorded the audio separately through a nice Fostex 16-track. Love the tone of this monster; even a little bit of filter sweeping feedback magic at the end. Hope y'all enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD7rN9e8qTc

wisconsindead

Reaction score
damn mellowgerman that was a pretty nice track. And that feedback at the end was ****ing cool how did you do that?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Thanks! The filters actually allow for some wicked feedback manipulation. The lamp on my amp flickering was completely unplanned and coincidental, but I'm glad it happened :)